Scott McCummings Steps Up Among UConn QBs | The Boneyard

Scott McCummings Steps Up Among UConn QBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Apparently, Des really likes this kid - he's been pumping him up since the summer...

Reaction Score
I thought Des was all over Nebrich as camp progressed.

Reaction Score
He does look to be the most athletic, he seems like a kid who can make some moves and make things happen. His passing wasn't THAT bad, nothing that's not going to improve over time. But hey...what happens, happens? I'd be ok with any of the 3 I guess, would just like to see someone get named #1 so they can take more reps with the "A" squad and get more comfortable! I would love to think we'll know more at this time next week!

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I don't get it. 7 rushes for 23 yards against a FCS team just doesn't scream awesomeness to me? The TD pass was well done but Griffin he was also uncovered. If the guy had broken off a few double-digit yard runs I could understand there being more hype but 3.3 yards per carry? That would get a UConn RB a lot of pine time.

I do think he made some nice decisions in the option though. And he made nice pitches to JJL so not sure how those stats get split up.

Reaction Score
I don't get it. 7 rushes for 23 yards against a FCS team just doesn't scream awesomeness to me? The TD pass was well done but Griffin he was also uncovered. If the guy had broken off a few double-digit yard runs I could understand there being more hype but 3.3 yards per carry? That would get a UConn RB a lot of pine time.

I do think he made some nice decisions in the option though. And he made nice pitches to JJL so not sure how those stats get split up.

Can't help but agree. But he's still just a RS freshman so there's plenty of room for improvement.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I thought Des was all over Nebrich as camp progressed.

As best as I can remember-

During last season and spring practice Des was very complimentary of McCummings football skills and of his maturity.

During fall practice Des seemed to drift towards Nebrich.

Reaction Score

You have to remember that Des thinks we played Alabama last week.

Reaction Score

I agree with your point that it is WAY too early to pass judgment on these QB's based on a few plays against a mediocre FCS team. I would like to address McCummings' TD pass though. I was amazed at the patience McCummings showed on that playaction pass. He took the time to execute not one, but TWO great fakes before dropping back to pass to Griffin. THAT is why Griffin was so wide open-he CREATED that opportunity.

As a longtime HS coach I can attest to the fact that one of the hardest things to get kids to do is to "sell" a fake....most kids don't have the patience to set up the fake because they get "antsy." The fact that he did it in his first game action was amazing and encouraging to me about him being cool as ice. I know it wasn't like playing WVU in Morgantown, but it was still his very first game action and a nerve-wracking situation. It is very rare to see an experienced QB pull off a double-fake like that, let alone a new kid.

I would prefer one QB shine above the others and demand to be the only guy taking reps, but I was also encouraged by the small sample of results we saw from all 3 guys. Nebrich threw wobbly passes, but they were on target overall and he showed surprising strength shaking free from a tackle from behind on a scramble situation; McEntee threw a nice ball (albeit with more time to throw then he'll have in BE play); McCummings showed patience and enough shiftiness for a big running QB to potentially be effective.

Reaction Score
Well said coahRD. Not only did McCummings execute the fakes perfectly, he hit Griffin in stride. He needs to keep getting some plays, just the threat of him picking up 3-4 yards will open up things down field off the play action as we already saw, or keep 8/9 men out of the box.

Reaction Score
He was.
FWIW:

i don't like this new site (maybe i was just too used to Scout)

where is the icon to create a new post?

does this board mix b-ball w/ f-ball? as i have zero interest (though i root 4 them) in the hoops program

no fan of change...

Reaction Score
i stand corrected (found the icon for creating a new post)...

readily admit to attention deficit/call it what U want.

to the approval/for the benefit of:

the msg board nazi's, i won't abuse the privilege

unless it has to do w/ the inane (not to mention sexist) avitar symbols...

not that being sexist is a bad thing...

Reaction Score
everyone keeps saying that McCummings hasn't shown to be a good passer, but from what i saw he only attempted one pass and it was for a 53 yard TD. granted the defense totally bit on the fake, but in his only pass attempt he was able to hit a wide open guy in stride. i'm not saying that makes him joe montana, but it's not like we saw anything to dislike from him passing wise. also, those 7 runs for 23 yards or whatever helped create that 53 yard pass. overall he had something like 80 yards in 8 plays, granted against a limited scholly D1AA team.

F

fortebleedsblue

everyone keeps saying that McCummings hasn't shown to be a good passer, but from what i saw he only attempted one pass and it was for a 53 yard TD. granted the defense totally bit on the fake, but in his only pass attempt he was able to hit a wide open guy in stride. i'm not saying that makes him joe montana, but it's not like we saw anything to dislike from him passing wise. also, those 7 runs for 23 yards or whatever helped create that 53 yard pass. overall he had something like 80 yards in 8 plays, granted against a limited scholly D1AA team.

Exactly the point ... ONE PASS .. to a WIDE OPEN reciever. McCummings has accuracy problems ..... Put him in at QB a full game and lets see how great he throws into traffic. I prefer a passing QB over a running one. Leave the running for DJ or McCombs.

Reaction Score
Matt: doesn't the fact that he was only allowed to throw one pass -- and off a trick play -- tell you something? Do we really have to see something in a game to draw reasonable conclusions, or can't we rely on what the staff is telling us with their decisions?

Reaction Score
Now i am confused. For years fans bemoaned the lack of coverage from the local media, particularly the HC. Now, they have a reporter who regulalry provides updates on the programs, and he gets questioned about a story he writes. I don't think a reporter's job is to write stories about who he likes best, but to write stories of interest.

I think folks critical of the article may have missed the point - I thought the point was that the kid was falling like a rock on the depth chart a few weeks back and had the fortitude to pick himself up and become a contributor. Did Dez annoint him the starter? I didn't read that. Did he say he was the best QB on the team or on the field Sat.? Nope. We're talking about a kid who chose playing at UConn over studying at Harvard, a seemingly bright, articulate, likelable kid, who got an opportunity and made good use o it - enought to potentially warrant more consideration for playing time. Let's be honest, he could have looked at the depth chart and had the same reaction many others have had since Coach P arrived, and that was to decide leaving was best. He didn't. He chose to fight through the challenge laid out for him.

We can trash the writer, we can trash the kid, or we can instead, god forbid, look at the positive. The kid did ok, nothing more, nothing less. Take a breath, relax, and trust the staff to put the team (not any individual player) in the best position to win. And perhaps re-read the article.

Reaction Score
if the coaches really have such little confidence in him i doubt he'd have been in there for about a quarter of our plays, and he was allowed to throw a deeper pass than the majority of what happened last year. that shows me they have some level of confidence in him, and overall we moved the ball the best with him under center last week. granted it's a limited sample size of data against a 1AA team that doesn't even utilize full 1AA scholarship levels. i'm not saying i think he should start but i don't see why anyone would dismiss him. in the end he's the only QB that we're pretty certain will be getting snaps for the entire year

Reaction Score
Des does a great job covering the team but man does he get fixated on things.. I remember we were supposed to "watch out for mike box" "kids the future".. how much does des really know about football? I like the guy, but he goes on a tangent on these things.. to me, Jmac is the clear choice for QB, with either nebrich or SM coming in (not both) and running an option and making the defense guess sometimes and being able to sneak a few big gain passes in. the value SM brings in as a situational qb is way more substantial than him being an every down qb right now.

Reaction Score
Des does a great job covering the team but man does he get fixated on things.. I remember we were supposed to "watch out for mike box" "kids the future".. how much does des really know about football? I like the guy, but he goes on a tangent on these things.. to me, Jmac is the clear choice for QB, with either nebrich or SM coming in (not both) and running an option and making the defense guess sometimes and being able to sneak a few big gain passes in. the value SM brings in as a situational qb is way more substantial than him being an every down qb right now.

If HCRE were here, Box would be the starter, period. But he is not, and a new scheme was brought in. The problem with your clear choice is that while JM may be the better passer it seems to me that Coach P wants one of his dual threat QBs to step up. Think SU Qbs while P was at the helm and ask whether they played more like Johnny Mac does or Nebrich/Scott M can. He can alter the playbook to the QB for this year, if he feels he has no other choice. I think he desperately wants one of the fresman to step up and allow him to utilize a dual threat QB.

Reaction Score
If HCRE were here, Box would be the starter, period. But he is not, and a new scheme was brought in. The problem with your clear choice is that while JM may be the better passer it seems to me that Coach P wants one of his dual threat QBs to step up. Think SU Qbs while P was at the helm and ask whether they played more like Johnny Mac does or Nebrich/Scott M can. He can alter the playbook to the QB for this year, if he feels he has no other choice. I think he desperately wants one of the fresman to step up and allow him to utilize a dual threat QB.

+1. If either Nebrich or McCummings has a good game on Saturday, it wouldn't surprise me to see them start outright against Iowa State. DeLeone's playbook is really geared towards dual threat QBs. I love Johnny Mac but he is a pure drop back passer.

Reaction Score
I think that is exactly right. And beyond that, I think as of Saturday at 11:45 a.m. he wanted/expected Nebrich to be the guy who stepped up. McCummings performed better than expected while Nebrich performed maybe a bit less, certianly no better than anticipated. That might have messed up the master plan a bit. Here's what I think was the plan. Johnny Mac starts and plays probalby most downs for the first few games with Nebrich getting a few series (maybe the second quarter) followed by mop-up duty if we're ahead (so say 4th quarter, too). Come the first Big East game, maybe Western michigan, Nebrich becomes the starter and plays pretty much every down. McCummings was and would remain always an option in specific situations. Now, with mcCummings looking better than expected, and possibly more versitile than expected, does that change the master plan? If he comes in and throws the ball for 5/8/0/125 or something, does he suddenly replace Nebrich as the "Conference game starter?"

Reaction Score
Agreed. Love that he's covering FB, but he does lock on to guys. He LOVED Difton. He was was going to be an impact player as a True Freshman.

Reaction Score
Give me a reporter like Dez who takes a position that isn't merely following the conventional wisdom. Too many reporters are afraid to step up and be bold. Andrea Adelson of ESPN surveyed the Big East and picked WVU. How original. And she put us seventh, like all the rest. Had she stepped back she could have realized a few other facts. That Dana Holgerson has never been a head coach, yet he's been annointed. In the meantime we have the winningest coach in BE history and two grown-ups as coordinators. We have close to if not THE Best Defense, Best Special Teams. Best O line. The fact that we had two BE rushing champs who are not major NFL stars says the scheme and O line are key here. Thus DJ and Lyle will plug in quite nicely, thank you very much. And as for QB, we were discounted because we hadn't chosen a starter. Big deal. With what we got last year from Zach, any of the three would be an upgrade. For crying out loud we didn't score an offensive TD in our last three games and still won. So why not us to repeat? Why not be bold? A few well informed controversial opinions is what makes a writer a "must read".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom