Scott McCummings Steps Up Among UConn QBs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Scott McCummings Steps Up Among UConn QBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I wonder if the distinction between a columnist / blogger and a reporter is becoming the way of the dinosaur. It used to be that Des, as a reporter, was supposed to report, not express his opinion in his writing. Now I feel like he somewhat straddles the two roles on occasion because he also does the Twitter thing and does live chats, etc where people ask him his opinion. Overall, I love that he provides the coverage and the information that he and the other beat writers get, but agree that he has a tendency to wear his emotions on his sleeve when it comes to criticism (warranted or not). I don't mind at all that he expresses an opinion on which players he thinks are going to be "special" since he has a unique point of view getting as much access as he does. Time will tell if he is right and I know he has been wrong in the past (i.e. Difton and Box) but he has also been pretty good in others (from what I remember he was touting Sio Moore and Blidi very early on).

Reaction Score
I wonder if the distinction between a columnist / blogger and a reporter is becoming the way of the dinosaur. It used to be that Des, as a reporter, was supposed to report, not express his opinion in his writing. Now I feel like he somewhat straddles the two roles on occasion because he also does the Twitter thing and does live chats, etc where people ask him his opinion. Overall, I love that he provides the coverage and the information that he and the other beat writers get, but agree that he has a tendency to wear his emotions on his sleeve when it comes to criticism (warranted or not). I don't mind at all that he expresses an opinion on which players he thinks are going to be "special" since he has a unique point of view getting as much access as he does. Time will tell if he is right and I know he has been wrong in the past (i.e. Difton and Box) but he has also been pretty good in others (from what I remember he was touting Sio Moore and Blidi very early on).

I think that is very well said. It's something that every columnist/blogger/reporter (note that I am not using the world "journalist") is currently struggling with as the industry, its norms and its morals are changing on a daily basis.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of the issue I have when I say i feel like he fixates on things, is that he'll talk them up via blogs using his opinion, then creates an article such as the one today where his passion for what he believes in (in this case scott being the best qb) gets the better of him. That was the point I was trying to make- I think were lucky to have him, but watching that game a few times, Scott in no way deserves to be hailed the way he is being. He threw one pass on a great fake, but a fake that isnt going to keep working down the road (IMO defenses will prepare) but besides the nice TD pass, he averaged 3 yards a carry and nearly fumbled the ball away (yes he tripped, but mature qbs hold on to that ball and not try to make a play)

Hopefully I clarified where I'm coming from a bit. I think Scott is a weapon, but a weapon better used as a situational qb. for now at least.

Reaction Score
So he has a different opinion than you? Why is that an issue? You've expressed yours. I tend to agree with it, but if Des has a different one so what?

Reaction Score
Not that his opinion is different. that he puts his noted opinion from his blogs to his articles. I dont think its right, he gave me the impression that Scott is now the clear favorite to start, based upon his opinion on what kind of qb he likes. Maybe I'm completely wrong IDK

Reaction Score
The guy's gotta write about something. Given how little we know after our first game, I don't blame him for talking about someone who didn't receive a ton of preseason press.

Reaction Score
It's possible I'm not being totally fair to him.. IDK I'll move on. lol

Reaction Score
Nowhere in this article does Dez say that McCummings is the best QB or that he should start. The point of this article is that coming out of camp McCummings was thought to be third string and not really expected to play much. It now appears that he does have an active role and he made the best of it against Fordham. Why does anyone have a problem with that observation by Dez?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Nowhere in this article does Dez say that McCummings is the best QB or that he should start. The point of this article is that coming out of camp McCummings was thought to be third string and not really expected to play much. It now appears that he does have an active role and he made the best of it against Fordham. Why does anyone have a problem with that observation by Dez?

Because the title of the article does not imply that. He says McCummings has stepped up among UConn QBs which would imply that the others have not stepped up which would imply that McCummings is the best (at this point in time).

Reaction Score
Always remember that it's unlikely the person that writes the article is the one that writes the headline

Reaction Score
Always remember that it's unlikely the person that writes the article is the one that writes the headline

So true. I used to write Commentary articles for the Daily Campus back when I went to UConn, and I think maybe 10% of my headline suggestions actually made it into the paper. Sometimes it was like the editors didn't even read what I wrote and just wanted something snazzy rather than, y'know... accurate.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score

I honestly didn't know that. Interesting.

For the record, I don't particularly care if Dez thinks Blaise Driscoll is our best option at QB. If he really believes that then he can write it. He does a great job getting a lot of information for the fan base, especially in the offseason. Hands down the best media member when it comes to UConn football.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Also note that the Courant, like a lot of newspapers, laid off a ton of writers through the past few years and the ones remaining are expected to do a little of everything for their papers. Joe Perez at the Bulletin covers all UConn sports. Mike DiMauro at the Day not only writes columns, he will also write articles on events that need extra sports coverage. Dez writes fact-based articles as well as te more opinionated blogs/tweets as do the other Courant beat writers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom