Scott Burrell to Huskies of Honor | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Scott Burrell to Huskies of Honor

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Maybe shouldn't be there purely basketball wise but he is the only player ever drafted first round in two sports. First NCAA player with 1,500 points, 750 rebounds, 275 assists, and 300 steals. Also, hands down the greatest pass in Husky history and one of the best passes in NCAA history.
This

Reaction Score
Scott was an awesome athlete. When I think of him, it isn't about The Pass that led to The Shot. I will always remember that time he jumped over an opposing player, knocked the ball away from him while still in the air, stole the ball and drove down court. I was absolutely amazed. I watched the game on TV and they replayed it about ten times. I would kill to see the video again and I may even have it myself (on VHS :oops:), but I cannot remember who the opponent was or when the game was played.

Anybody?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Scott Burrell's other accolades probably helped him get put up on that wall, if it was strictly just UConn basketball some of us wonder if he belongs. Drummond only played here 1 season but he's an in-state star and will go down as one of the best rebounders in NBA history if he stays healthy, also doesn't hurt he's probably our most popular player still playing the sport.
I know it's weird filter, but I think there's something to be said for holding off a number of years, seeing how his career continues, and taking note of how other elite programs recognize their one-and-dones. No need to be a mere copy cat, but this is an different type of situation.

Reaction Score
I know it's weird filter, but I think there's something to be said for holding off a number of years, seeing how his career continues, and taking note of how other elite programs recognize their one-and-dones. No need to be a mere copy cat, but this is an different type of situation.
It's also not like his one and done year was Carmelo Anthony's or Anthony Davis's or Derrick Rose's, to just name a few.

Drummond should pretty much never be on the Huskies of Honor, which isn't a knock on him, just a recognition that the time he was at the school he wasn't the player that some of these others were.

The idea that Andre Drummond has meant more to UConn, historically, than Burrell, or that Dre had a better UConn career than Burrell, is absurd. Burrell's junior and senior years he averaged 16 and 6, and threw in 2.5 assists and 2.5 steals. When we didn't need him to be a scorer, he lead the nation in steals in 1991, and was top 10 in the BE in rebounds (7.5).

I feel that if you've only been with the program 1-2 years, you better have been a first or second team AA (Butler/Gay) and been the star of a damn good team. Lamb was never the star of a good team, though he won a title. Dre did neither.

Boat...I can listen to an argument for Boat.

Reaction Score
Aren't they building a Huskies Hall of Fame at the Werth Center? Maybe that's the place to put Drummond and Boat. It could be yet another recruiting tool.

Reaction Score
Aren't they building a Huskies Hall of Fame at the Werth Center? Maybe that's the place to put Drummond and Boat. It could be yet another recruiting tool.
I mean, maybe. I really like Drummond, but it's not like he's gone to the NBA and been gangbusters. He's been in the league a while now and made two AS games. He's never made NBA first or second team, (though made 3rd team once). His combination of time at UConn and time in the NBA doesn't put him in that elite category.

Reaction Score
I mean, maybe. I really like Drummond, but it's not like he's gone to the NBA and been gangbusters. He's been in the league a while now and made two AS games. He's never made NBA first or second team, (though made 3rd team once). His combination of time at UConn and time in the NBA doesn't put him in that elite category.

I don't really follow the NBA (long-time Knicks fan, 'nuff said), but this guy puts up a double-double every night. I don't feel strongly about it. I can see why people wouldn't want to include him, yet I believe NBA players on campus is good for recruiting, especially for those recruits wanting to go to The League.

Reaction Score
Yep, Worthy Patterson and Vin Yokabaskas are totally more deserving. They are way better basketball players than Ryan Boatright and Andre Drummond.
I mean, this seems to miss the point of Huskies of Honor. It's not just meant to be best basketball players who wore a UConn jersey, but people who contributed most to UConn's rise and development. Vin and Worthy are undoubtedly not as good players than Boat or Dre, but in the case of Worthy, he was a key player on UConn's first ranked team (23-3), and both Vin was on UConn's first ever NCAA team. Their records over three years were great, and their time with UConn helped give them the necessary history to get them into the Big East.

Boat was a key contributor to title number 4, so that seems worthy.

Dre was, what? A guy who played better than some remember but was not at all dominant, and who has been good not great in the league?

Reaction Score
Dre was, what? A guy who played better than some remember but was not at all dominant, and who has been good not great in the league?
Drummond, in terms of total rebound % (think of it like on-base % rather than total hits), is literally the greatest rebounder in league history. Better than Wilt, better than Russell, better than Rodman. He's a 2x all-star, a 2x rebound champ, and a one-time all-NBA selection before he turned 25. I think we'd be silly not to honor that sometime soon – preferably on a night during which one of our big-man recruiting targets was visiting.

Boat is, to me, even more of a no-brainer. He stayed when others left. He won when others would've lost. He sacrificed when others would've made it about themselves. I don't care if he never plays an NBA minute.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Some of you sound like the Baseball Writers of America who wring their hands over Hall of Fame inductees.

It's not that serious. If there is a decent debate to made for a guy, then just add him. Burrell, Boat, Drummond, Thabeet, etc.

I like forging the connection to past players, and in the case of Drummond, it would be nice to see his name in Gampel to show off to recruits. If he and @Chief00 can coordinate a date this season when he has an off day between a game vs. Boston, NY, or BK, bring em up and induct him.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Love to see Doron Sheffer on the wall.

Reaction Score
No one knows what the criteria is at this point, but if it was 1970 he would get in automatically for being a top 10 all-time scorer (see list earlier in thread).

Considering it's 2018 and the amount of postseason success by everyone else on this list and of the program, UConn would have to make at least the Sweet Sixteen this year for Jalen to get consideration by the university in my opinion. 1 NCAA tournament win and winning the AAC once over 4 years isn't going to cut it, his fault or not.

While Burrell's career at UConn may mostly be defined by the pass to Tate George, UConn made the Elite Eight and Sweet Sixteen his sophomore and junior years then you add in success in the NBA.

Jalen has his iconic shot v. Cincy, will be an all-time scorer for the program already locked up more or less, but to get his number up there will require this team to do something special this year (not that I expect it, just the reality of the situation).
Burrell had over 300 career steals the next guy on the list has 204 .
He ,and to a lesser degree Tate and Chris Smith defined the trademark UConn pressure. Scott was much more than “the pass” as well as by far the best ever in steals ,he might also be the best pure athlete ever to play at UConn. His athleticism was so good he managed a degree of success in the NBA with a limited basketball background. For non centers that’s pretty rare.
The fact he is a state kid doestn’t hurt either.
Jaylen had the misfortune to play on two weak team but will rank very high in scoring and amazingly considering the teams ,in assists.Few if any player in UConn history were called on to do more than he. He played two seasons where with few exceptions was asked to create shots for the entire team. If he has a good year and gets drafted in the first round and makes an NBA roster I suspect he will someday be included.
Any honor is as much about PR as it is about achievement ,so despite a very unremarkable college career a Drummond plaque is a good recruiting tool especially for prospective bigs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Drummond, in terms of total rebound % (think of it like on-base % rather than total hits), is literally the greatest rebounder in league history. Better than Wilt, better than Russell, better than Rodman. He's a 2x all-star, a 2x rebound champ, and a one-time all-NBA selection before he turned 25. I think we'd be silly not to honor that sometime soon – preferably on a night during which one of our big-man recruiting targets was visiting.

Boat is, to me, even more of a no-brainer. He stayed when others left. He won when others would've lost. He sacrificed when others would've made it about themselves. I don't care if he never plays an NBA minute.

But you're talking career percentages, and he's barely into his prime. Further, you're comparing him to Wilt and Russell, and they can't even actually test that. The stat only goes back to 1970-71. It's like saying Howard was a better defensive players than Russell because they averaged more blocks and steals per game, but failing to note that they didn't take blocks or steals into account statistically when Russell was playing.

Further, if Drummond plays a long career, that will almost certainly sink down. While Drummond has 4 of the Top 25 Total Rebound % seasons ever, his best season is only #5, and Rodman has 1, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 14. If we had the statistic for Russell and Wilt (or And, how useful is the statistic when Reggie Evans has the second best season ever? If we had the statistic for Wilt or Russell or early career Unseld, I think we're looking at a different field.

It is impressive that Drummond has rebounded at such high rates. I'm happy he's representing UConn well.

He didn't do enough at UConn to merit being a Husky of Honor, and his NBA career has been good but not something that moves the needle on that. He's never even been out of the first round of the NBA playoffs--and he's played his entire career in the East!

Reaction Score
But you're talking career percentages, and he's barely into his prime. Further, you're comparing him to Wilt and Russell, and they can't even actually test that. The stat only goes back to 1970-71. It's like saying Howard was a better defensive players than Russell because they averaged more blocks and steals per game, but failing to note that they didn't take blocks or steals into account statistically when Russell was playing.
No, it's really not. Quants in the basketblogger community have pretty accurately broken down Wilt's and Russ's numbers from back in the day. You can see their work HERE, HERE and HERE.

A friend of mine works as a quant in the Raptors front office and he confirmed all of that research above.

Further, if Drummond plays a long career, that will almost certainly sink down.
It won't, actually. While total rebounds tend to sink down because minutes are limited, total rebound rate tends to remain steady until players get VERY old, like 37 or 38.

While Drummond has 4 of the Top 25 Total Rebound % seasons ever, his best season is only #5, and Rodman has 1, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 14.
1) None of Rodman's best seasons came before he was 25, and 2) Drummond's total rebound rate has increased every single season he's been in the league.

Also bear in mind that Rodman's best year (94-95) as a rebounder was one of his worst years as a player, because he literally refused to do anything for the Spurs that year aside from chase rebounds. He wasn't even an every game starter because of it.

If we had the statistic for Russell and Wilt (or And, how useful is the statistic when Reggie Evans has the second best season ever?
1) again, we really do have the statistic for them.
2) This is a fair point, and if you want to cap it to players who played a minimum of 30 minutes per game in whichever particular season is under scrutiny, it would take care of your Evans concern.

Reaction Score
A friend of mine works as a quant in the Raptors front office and he confirmed all of that research above.

It won't, actually. While total rebounds tend to sink down because minutes are limited, total rebound rate tends to remain steady until players get VERY old, like 37 or 38.
This is super interesting and useful. Thank you for sharing.

First, of course, it is a well executed approximation. That matters, though it seems like a good statistical guess.

Second, and this may just be me, the links to Chamberlain and Russell don't have Total Rebound %. It's broken down to defensive and offensive rebound %. (Is it just an average?)

Third, Wilt was 30 in the 1966-67 season. After that both his offensive and defensive rebounding percentage declined every single season; Russell was 29-30 when he began his (more fitful) decline. Wilt retired at 37; Russell at 35. There were clear declines before that. Further, almost all the best seasons outside of Rodman (a 6'7" rebound freak/savant) happened when players were relatively young.

Aside from Drummond and Rodman, the Top 25 seasons (Basketball Reference) all time have been done by DeAndre Jordan (turned 30 over the summer), Reggie Evans (done when he was 24 and then again at 32), Marcus Camby (done at 36, which is an outlier), Hassan Whitehead (27), Jayson Williams (27), Danny Fortson (22), Enes Kanter (25), Kevin Love (22), Dwight Howard (31), Moses Malone (21), Ben Wallace (28).

I mean, a few things jump out at me. First, most of the best total rebound% are from younger folks (again, I'm using official stats, and didn't convert the WhatIfSports to Total Rebound %). Almost none of these names, other than Moses, jump out as a true great player. Peak Love and Howard are very good. I know Rodman is a HOF, but I just don't consider him among the Top 10 (at least) PF. Love is a borderline HOF. Jordan is fringe. Howard may make it in there, but he isn't even Top 15 centers of all time. The list doesn't do anything for me in the way that some other advanced statistics do.

Anyway, I love your posts, and I love Dre, but the he's made NBA Third Team once and will be hard pressed to make it again. Happy to be wrong here, but I'm just not convinced.

Reaction Score
Anyway, I love your posts, and I love Dre, but the he's made NBA Third Team once and will be hard pressed to make it again. Happy to be wrong here, but I'm just not convinced.
Fair enough – reasonable minds can disagree here for sure! Love your posts too, fwiw, and sorry if I came off as snappish earlier. I spend too much time on NBA Reddit where they constantly s&*t on Dre so I get touchy about it even when surrounded by allies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would like to make an argument for Andre Drummond for the Huskies Of Honor. True, his tenure here was short and while very good for a freshman disappointed some casual fans.
So it would be more based on the number 2 kid in the country staying home and his NBA post graduate studies accomplishments.
Yeah, going with no on that. Seems like a great guy though.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How many NBA all stars do we have on the wall? Just a handful.
Don't see that as its function, though I understand your point from a marketing perspective.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How many NBA all stars do we have on the wall? Just a handful.
Objection, relevance. It would be a shame if the wall was turned into a participation award.

Reaction Score
Objection, relevance. It would be a shame if the wall was turned into a participation award.
There are plenty of places around campus--and in the practice facility--to honor Dre. I'm not at all opposed to that. Husky of Honor, though? No.

C

Chief00

This is super interesting and useful. Thank you for sharing.

First, of course, it is a well executed approximation. That matters, though it seems like a good statistical guess.

Second, and this may just be me, the links to Chamberlain and Russell don't have Total Rebound %. It's broken down to defensive and offensive rebound %. (Is it just an average?)

Third, Wilt was 30 in the 1966-67 season. After that both his offensive and defensive rebounding percentage declined every single season; Russell was 29-30 when he began his (more fitful) decline. Wilt retired at 37; Russell at 35. There were clear declines before that. Further, almost all the best seasons outside of Rodman (a 6'7" rebound freak/savant) happened when players were relatively young.

Aside from Drummond and Rodman, the Top 25 seasons (Basketball Reference) all time have been done by DeAndre Jordan (turned 30 over the summer), Reggie Evans (done when he was 24 and then again at 32), Marcus Camby (done at 36, which is an outlier), Hassan Whitehead (27), Jayson Williams (27), Danny Fortson (22), Enes Kanter (25), Kevin Love (22), Dwight Howard (31), Moses Malone (21), Ben Wallace (28).

I mean, a few things jump out at me. First, most of the best total rebound% are from younger folks (again, I'm using official stats, and didn't convert the WhatIfSports to Total Rebound %). Almost none of these names, other than Moses, jump out as a true great player. Peak Love and Howard are very good. I know Rodman is a HOF, but I just don't consider him among the Top 10 (at least) PF. Love is a borderline HOF. Jordan is fringe. Howard may make it in there, but he isn't even Top 15 centers of all time. The list doesn't do anything for me in the way that some other advanced statistics do.

An NBA All Star is someone who makes the All Star game. Dre checks that box. He played in the NBA All Star two of the last three seasons. Enough said.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Making the NBA All Star game is far from a participation award - the ones selected like he was is by the coach/or coaches based on all star level performance. How do you get participation award from that process?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom