OT: Scotch thread | Page 26 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I had no luck finding any Lagavulin 16 at any price at the few stops I’ve made, nor any Talisker Distiller’s Edition. I did see the Talisker 10 year but forgot that @HuskyHawk had also recommended that. Saw Nikka From the Barrel for $75 and was pleasantly surprised, but I have a full bottle already, as well as full Coffey Grain and Malt so I don’t need to settle. Not buying the 8 year Lagavulin for $65 or the Caol Ila for $75.
If you fancy a drive up, Lagavulin 8 is $40 here. An absolute steal. And there are cases of it to be had.

Should have grabbed the Talisker 10. It’s great stuff, and is. available at a good price.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you fancy a drive up, Lagavulin 8 is $40 here. An absolute steal. And there are cases of it to be had.

Should have grabbed the Talisker 10. It’s great stuff, and is. available at a good price.
I’ll look for the Talisker 10 again then.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
FFD5-FED8-9853-4852-A4-C7-9275154-F9-D63.jpg

Finally, TotalWine started carrying Westward.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Watching Men in Kilts, episode 1 where they go to Laphroaig, so I poured some of the 2019 Cairdeas Triple Wood. Lovey whisky. I need to get back to Scotland…and Ireland.

Reaction Score
Never tried a single malt from India. Very tasty stuff, reminded me of a Deanston 12 in flavor and a Glenfiddich 12 on the nose. Lots of fresh fruits, honey, oak spices. Worth a try if you see a mini like this.

20220425_191733.jpg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Never tried a single malt from India. Very tasty stuff, reminded me of a Deanston 12 in flavor and a Glenfiddich 12 on the nose. Lots of fresh fruits, honey, oak spices. Worth a try if you see a mini like this.

View attachment 75954
Some of the Amrut stuff is really quite good. It ages really quickly in that climate and takes sherry cask finishing really well. Paul John is a step down. Kavalan from Taiwan is quite different and interesting. Props on using a proper Glencairn. What is that logo?

Reaction Score
Some of the Amrut stuff is really quite good. It ages really quickly in that climate and takes sherry cask finishing really well. Paul John is a step down. Kavalan from Taiwan is quite different and interesting. Props on using a proper Glencairn. What is that logo?

I would love to try this in a sherry finish. My fav bottles are sherried. And I never use anything but a glen honestly, unless its one of my thistle style glasses. Personally I can tell a difference on the nose, ymmv.

The logo is one a buddy made for me for some streaming I do while I game. I wear glasses and have a pretty good sized beard.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So Springbank is now unobtanium. I’ve tried it is just gone. I’ve had Loch Lomand 18 and it’s very nice if slightly more than I want to spend. Tried the Loch Lomand 12 which is dirt cheap at under $40 and it’s very solid. Provides that funky, earthy distillate that I like from Campbeltown Scotch. Solid value if a splash of sherry would help it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So Springbank is now unobtanium. I’ve tried it is just gone. I’ve had Loch Lomand 18 and it’s very nice if slightly more than I want to spend. Tried the Loch Lomand 12 which is dirt cheap at under $40 and it’s very solid. Provides that funky, earthy distillate that I like from Campbeltown Scotch. Solid value if a splash of sherry would help it.
Somewhat surprised you like the Loch Lomand 12. I've bought it a few times as it is very cheap, but I almost treat it like a house blend than a single malt.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Somewhat surprised you like the Loch Lomand 12. I've bought it a few times as it is very cheap, but I almost treat it like a house blend than a single malt.
It's the Campbeltown funk. I think there a handful of Scotch distilleries that make deeper cuts in the distillate with more of the tails. Springbank seems to. Tobermory definitely does, it's the most funky Scotch. Seems Loch Lomond is in that category as well. Edradour might be another. That gives it a different character, think: the opposite of triple distilled Irish Whiskey, a more earthy mushroomy, savory character. Umani I suppose. The 12 doesn't have much, but it has some and it's cheap.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Really good summer whiskey….not expensive ($40) and you won’t care if whoever you’re with dumps 20 ice cubes in it.. But wickedly pleasant and easy to drink.

65-EBCC65-1-EAA-46-F1-9-AFA-4-BD5-AA35-D6-C5.jpg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Really good summer whiskey….not expensive ($40) and you won’t care if whoever you’re with dumps 20 ice cubes in it.. But wickedly pleasant and easy to drink.

65-EBCC65-1-EAA-46-F1-9-AFA-4-BD5-AA35-D6-C5.jpg
You seem to like a lot of the American malt whiskies. I've found these marked down at my local, and the barrel proof one is quite enjoyable. They have a rum cask edition that might be something like the Breckenridge one.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You seem to like a lot of the American malt whiskies. I've found these marked down at my local, and the barrel proof one is quite enjoyable. They have a rum cask edition that might be something like the Breckenridge one.

I do - looks like they do not have a great distributor network here in NY.

Reaction Score
I do - looks like they do not have a great distributor network here in NY.
Will be in Colo to visit my son/his family next week.... Will check out the newest stuff going on there re: whiskey

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Will be in Colo to visit my son/his family next week.... Will check out the newest stuff going on there re: whiskey

I think they have a good scene out there with Breckenridge, Stanahans, Boulder Spirits, etc. Happy hunting!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Where did you find it? I'm, at best, an occasional bourbon drinker, but this scotch has me intrigued...
Doubt it will be much use, but Liquor World in Millis/Medway, MA. This bottle should be widely available, just at more than the $75 I paid. Cairdeas is an annual release, but is different every year. This link has reviews of them back to 2013. I enjoyed the 2018, and bought two of the 2019. Consensus is the 2020 isn't great. The 2021 and 2019 are very good, and I liked 2018 a lot.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
New single malt and bourbon this weekend

View attachment 76676
I've had Evan Williams single barrel, excellent product. I believe it would sell better (at a higher price point) if they gave it aname that didn't include Evan Williams as many would be turned off, thinking it is merely a middling bourbon.

12 year old Glenlivet, well, nothing needs to be said.

Enjoy both!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
New single malt and bourbon this weekend

View attachment 76676
Ooh it's nice to see an Independent Bottling here. Very nice indeed. 65%, that's a bruiser, but will be great with a bit of water or on the rocks. Too many Scotch drinkers don't wade into the IB waters. Most of the best Scotches I've had have been IBs.

EW SiB is one of the bottles I recommend to new bourbon drinkers. Decent age, quite "smooth" and fairly sweet. As easy drinking as bourbon gets really.

Reaction Score
Ooh it's nice to see an Independent Bottling here. Very nice indeed. 65%, that's a bruiser, but will be great with a bit of water or on the rocks. Too many Scotch drinkers don't wade into the IB waters. Most of the best Scotches I've had have been IBs.

EW SiB is one of the bottles I recommend to new bourbon drinkers. Decent age, quite "smooth" and fairly sweet. As easy drinking as bourbon gets really.

Really looking forward to popping that once a few of my open ones are further along. This is only the second IB I have had, the other is a Glencadam 10 from " The Ultimate Whisky Company " and its delicious stuff.

Reaction Score

Regular BiB white label Evan Williams is excellent for its price. As long as you are not expecting more from it. This one is going to be sold in KY only from what I understand but my local place had some show up, so for $35 I was happy to grab one.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Regular BiB white label Evan Williams is excellent for its price. As long as you are not expecting more from it. This one is going to be sold in KY only from what I understand but my local place had some show up, so for $35 I was happy to grab one.
The reality is that cheap bourbon, EW white, WT 101 or Beam are all pretty good. An aged spirit for several years at the price of vodka.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom