OT: Scotch thread | Page 25 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
don't really know much aboot hooch, irish or otherwise. some taste fine and some taste like listerine mixed with absorbine, with gentle hints in the bouquet of ham and feet. pretty much like most things, but i do like markets.
Proper No. Twelve Is America's Fastest Growing Whiskey Brand, And That's a Problem

and i really liked that moonshine throwdown that i watched last week. 3 shiners compete to win, with like an hour or so from go, to tasting by a panel. now, that's impressive. in one competition, they had to make a fizzy drink, bringing their co2 and canning game into play. let's just say that burping the gas can is real important.

looks like ol connor still has the knockout punch.
Let me be as blunt as I can. Proper No. Twelve is swill. It's awful. The cheapest Jameson is vastly superior, and it's not good either. The amount of grain vs Malt in the blend has to be high. Single Grain can be good, if it is super old, this is obviously very young.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I bought an Auchentoshan Three Wood yesterday, in part because some of you liked it and partly because I wanted to try something different. I'm coming off having a cold so I will re-evaluate, but so far, not a big fan. Really crushingly woody, I expected more sherry notes. It's a bit like craft American Malt with all the new charred oak coming through. Hopefully my senses are impaired and it opens up a bit.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I bought an Auchentoshan Three Wood yesterday, in part because some of you liked it and partly because I wanted to try something different. I'm coming off having a cold so I will re-evaluate, but so far, not a big fan. Really crushingly woody, I expected more sherry notes. It's a bit like craft American Malt with all the new charred oak coming through. Hopefully my senses are impaired and it opens up a bit.
I like it as a "dessert" Scotch, which would typically be my last drink of the night.

Reaction Score
I must have pissed you off about something!

At some point it seems so lol. You like booze, so, I can forget whatever it may have been. Seems I did anyway so, here we are.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I like it as a "dessert" Scotch, which would typically be my last drink of the night.
Yeah, that's usually a sherry bomb (like the Abelour A'bunadh Fishy said he liked). So I expected more sherry notes, but instead got more new charred oak, which is kind of unusual in Scotch. I'll give it more time. Going to buy some others this weekend as 5 college girls descend on my house. I need to get out for a bit.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah, that's usually a sherry bomb (like the Abelour A'bunadh Fishy said he liked). So I expected more sherry notes, but instead got more new charred oak, which is kind of unusual in Scotch. I'll give it more time. Going to buy some others this weekend as 5 college girls descend on my house. I need to get out for a bit.
I've been alternating between Nikka Coffey Malt and Coffey Grain lately.

I drained all my Islays and need to replace them this weekend.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I've been alternating between Nikka Coffey Malt and Coffey Grain lately.

I drained all my Islays and need to replace them this weekend.
Going to try something new? For slightly peated and wine finished, Talisker Distiller's Edition is nice. Talisker is Isle of Skye, but the 10 is my go to, peppery mild peat and cheap.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Going to try something new? For slightly peated and wine finished, Talisker Distiller's Edition is nice. Talisker is Isle of Skye, but the 10 is my go to, peppery mild peat and cheap.
As always, I will look for Lagavulin 16 at $80 or less; if not I will give this a try.

Reaction Score
As always, I will look for Lagavulin 16 at $80 or less; if not I will give this a try.

How is the supply up there for their stuff? Down here in the dirty south I NEVER see it anywhere. And I work at a freaking store on the weekends.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How is the supply up there for their stuff? Down here in the dirty south I NEVER see it anywhere. And I work at a freaking store on the weekends.
It's around, but not in abundance. Most places seem to be selling it for $90+, which is a bridge too far for me.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Let me be as blunt as I can. Proper No. Twelve is swill. It's awful. The cheapest Jameson is vastly superior, and it's not good either. The amount of grain vs Malt in the blend has to be high. Single Grain can be good, if it is super old, this is obviously very young.
i wouldn't know. on the udder hand, iffn i was a banker and that label came looking for a loan, i'd be all thumbs up.

Reaction Score
It's around, but not in abundance. Most places seem to be selling it for $90+, which is a bridge too far for me.

I have seen one bottle of 8yo in my area, and that is in , for months now. Though this is more bourbon country being in NC. Buying single malts can be tricky for me.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hearing from my online Scotch/whiskey community that Springbank is evidently now very scarce. Since I love it, it seems I will be stocking up on that this weekend. It's still available to me here in smaller stores.

Reaction Score
Hearing from my online Scotch/whiskey community that Springbank is evidently now very scarce. Since I love it, it seems I will be stocking up on that this weekend. It's still available to me here in smaller stores.
You are hearing correctly. Where I am I can find a bit of the 10 ( $100.00 ) and a few places have the 15 and 18 at insane prices ( $250 ). Its getting more like bourbon with some of these.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You are hearing correctly. Where I am I can find a bit of the 10 ( $100.00 ) and a few places have the 15 and 18 at insane prices ( $250 ). Its getting more like bourbon with some of these.

Ran out to check since I've been sick and stuck in the house for a week and its gorgeous out. Two stores that had the 15 two weeks ago now don't. Gone. Bastards! I will go "truffle hunting" tomorrow at out of the way shops.

Reaction Score
Ran out to check since I've been sick and stuck in the house for a week and its gorgeous out. Two stores that had the 15 two weeks ago now don't. Gone. Bastards! I will go "truffle hunting" tomorrow at out of the way shops.

Its rough out there for any imported spirits at the moment.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Cavaluzzi’s, near the Danbury Airport…..

Nikka from the Barrel - $74.99

They also have Coffey Grain and Coffey Malt in stock. Malt can go out of stock easily, so if you want it it, act now. (Price is not good - $75 on both. Should be around $58.)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Cavaluzzi’s, near the Danbury Airport…..

Nikka from the Barrel - $74.99

They also have Coffey Grain and Coffey Malt in stock. Malt can go out of stock easily, so if you want it it, act now. (Price is not good - $75 on both. Should be around $58.)
Weird... just for fun I checked my go-tos in CT. At BevMor Grain is $75 but Malt is $86. At VarMax (PortChester), Barrel is $70, Grain is $75 (no malt).

Both only have Laga 8 at $80.

Here in PA, Grain is $62, Malt is $85, Barrel is $74.

@HuskyHawk you said "cheap". Here Talisker Distillers is $85, the 10 is $80. What are prices in MA?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I’m always puzzled by pricing.

A good liquor store near me with good prices always prices their Green Spot at $94.

You can buy Green Spot all day long at $60. He’ll even have Yellow Spot at a few dollars cheaper, but he’s always got that row of Green Spots at $94.

The other puzzlement….

I bought another bottle of Courage and Conviction today. I can’t quite figure how Virginia Distilling makes such a great product in C and C and such complete dreck with their other efforts.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Weird... just for fun I checked my go-tos in CT. At BevMor Grain is $75 but Malt is $86. At VarMax (PortChester), Barrel is $70, Grain is $75 (no malt).

Both only have Laga 8 at $80.

Here in PA, Grain is $62, Malt is $85, Barrel is $74.

@HuskyHawk you said "cheap". Here Talisker Distillers is $85, the 10 is $80. What are prices in MA?

Nikka in the bottle is basically $99 most places in NY. Grain and Malt were both $55 for the longest time but now it is all over the map. One of my locals will stock them at $58 each when they‘re in. (That is what they are worth.)

I have not seen Lagavulin 16 locally in a while.

If anyone sees Blue Spot or Red Spot for sale anywhere…let me know. I need to replace both.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I had no luck finding any Lagavulin 16 at any price at the few stops I’ve made, nor any Talisker Distiller’s Edition. I did see the Talisker 10 year but forgot that @HuskyHawk had also recommended that. Saw Nikka From the Barrel for $75 and was pleasantly surprised, but I have a full bottle already, as well as full Coffey Grain and Malt so I don’t need to settle. Not buying the 8 year Lagavulin for $65 or the Caol Ila for $75.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom