Score prediction thread for UCLA | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Score prediction thread for UCLA

Reaction Score
I think UCONN will shut down Canada and Billings daring the other 3 UCLA players to beat them. Gabby and Pheesa have a monster game in the paint. Won't be surprised if Lou, Nurse and Chong drives to the basket all day, especially if they can get Billings in foul trouble. UCONN 85-59.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wow, they must carry a grudge then. The 88 streak was surpassed in 2011. Six years ago this UCLA team's freshmen were in 7th grade, seniors in 10th!
You have no idea. ;)

Yes, but none of them were even born when UCLA set the record.
Some of their parents might not have been born. :eek:

Eh, that's cutting it pretty close. But possible.

Reaction Score
No spreadsheet? No congratulations to one of our wise selectors?

In CA on vacation with no tools and thus relying on you all to provide the straight skinny. By the way - nothing personal - I know I didn't come close;)

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Ok ok ok ..I won. I had the right score, Uconn just didn't get there.

Reaction Score
UCLA Pic.jpg

Here are the predictions. I went to the game today, and then had an evening commitment, so the numbers are a little late. I am going to the game on Monday too, so same drill. Huge shout out to TonyC for arranging tickets back in November 2016. A super day, and most of us were there for both games.

This game, Massey wins! But since we don't recognize Massey as a valid participant, the winner is BroadwayVA! based on the tiebreaker rules. Jim gets a very close second, which is all the more amazing because this is the first time he submitted a forecast.

Reaction Score
UCLA Distance pic.jpg

Here are the results based on the mathmatically closest forecast. Again, BroadwayVa win using this set of parameters. But notice that a lot of forecasts were closer than Massey. Particularly good were the Husky fanatic and chrissaran.

Reaction Score
graph pic.jpg

For those who want an explanation for the mathematically closest forecast, here is a graphic depiction of the calculation. Each persons score is compared to the actual score of the game. Each forecast will have an error on the UConn score(line "a"), and an error on the opponent's score (line "b"). The mathematical error is represented by the line "c".

Since this is a right triangle, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to calculate the length of "c". The Pythagorean theorm says that C-squared is equal to the sum of A-squared and B-squared. To make the forecasts a little easier to check, I show the sum of A-squared and B-squared. So, if you miss the UConn actual score by 2 point, and the Opponent's score by 3 points, that gives you 13 for the sum of the squares (2 squared is equal to 4, and 3 squared is equal to 9, so the total is 13). This value is found in the column labeled "Square"

Taking the square root of the sum of the squares gives you the value for line "c". If the sum of the squares of the two legs is 13, then the value for "c" is equal to 3.61 points. This is the "distance" that the forecast is from the actual score.

This is just a different way to measure who was closest to the actual game score. The results can differ significantly from the Margin of Victory technique, but often they yield the same result. This game, BroadwayVa wins both ways, but Massey is not quite so dominant.

Reaction Score
In addition to our winner and consistent contributor, BROADWAY VA,and our new budding star, JIM, want to acknowledge another of our frequent top guns, HUSKY FANATIC who came within three of the actual MOV. Not easy for HV to do that when so many of us were way too optimistic about Our Girls this time around. Will try to make time now (and obtain library computer time) to get the BONEYARD FEARLESS FORECASTER up to date thru the third leg (UCLA) of the post-season championship competition. CT TRAN - thanks once again for getting the list of predictions up in good order yet again - just goes to show that timing is not necessarily everything, eh?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom