Score prediction for next up, Nebraska | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Score prediction for next up, Nebraska

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since you have a ? concerning "who wins", I'll throw my two cents in.
Winner should not be determined by margin of victory and here's why.
Say team A wins a game against team B 80 to 60, a mov of 20.
Poster X's prediction was 81 - 60, mov of 21. Poster Z's prediction was 40-20,
a mov of 20 that is exactly right.
Can you really say the Z prediction was better ?
I propose a comparison of the predicted score for each team against what the actual score is.
I.E. Same 80-60 actual score.
Poster X predicted score 81-60
81 compared to 80 = a difference of 1
60 compared to 60 = a difference of 0
Total difference = 1 + 0 which = 1
Poster Y predicted score 84-64
84 compared to 80 = a difference of 4
64 compared to 60 = a difference of 4
Total difference = 4 + 4 which = 8
Poster X would be the winner between those 2 posters.

I agree with your arguments. Here is a graph of the forecasts for the Nebraska game:
Nebr Scatter Pic.png

We could calculate who is closest to the actual score (and this is the way DaddyChoc feels it should be done too.) There are two small issues, (1) the person closest to the actual score could have forecast the wrong team to win, and (2) the people who only include a margin of victory would be completely out of the running.

The proper way of calculating the deviation is to use the (x,Y) coordinates of the forecasts and the actual score, and determine the distance between the two for each forecaster. It involves the pythagorean theorem, but I can do that pretty easily.

I re-ran the data for the last two games, and the person DaddyChoc feels should have won the contest would have won the contest, even though neither had the correct margin of victory.

Reaction Score
55-23 at half time, starters sit majority of the second half and win 87-51.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
In honor of we all hope and pray is Win #86 in a row, I'll go with 86-68 UConn. I just refuse to believe Nebraska could lose seven games this season already and put up much of a fight against the top-ranked Huskies. For better or worse, they'll get taken care of by Nurse. And by others. Whether Geno was looking for a special gift before Hannukah or Christmas, the W tonight over the Huskers would be it. The next game isn't until 12/29.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Thinking that we continue to be doomed, I predict a nail-biter.

UConn 77
Nebby 68

Yes, I plan to schedule some intense therapy soon.

Reaction Score
I see a MOV of around 40, and cannot envision the Huskers breaking 50...so I'll go with 87-47.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
This is a tough one for me to gauge.. So I'm just going to guess blindly
UCONN 97 Nebraska 55 - MOV 42 , UConn up 26 at the Half

Gabby is really overdue for an explosive offensive game so I'm hoping it is tonight, mostly off of Turnovers and put backs..
Steady Lou and Napheesa to be around their Averages or slightly under..
Would also like to see Kia have a high percentage shooting night and Dangerfield come away with zero turnovers and double digit assist.. Not sure what to expect from Butler tonight so I'll just skip her...

Geno will be watching to see if this team comes ready to play against a team that is struggling, let's hope he doesn't go on holiday break in a bad mood or disappointed by a lack of effort from his leaders...

Reaction Score
Nebraska Pic.png

Here are the forecasts with an hour to game time. Meyers keeps predicting the Huskies will lose. One time he will be right, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day! This will not be his day.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I won the contest where I mentioned Naphessa was the "best" player on the team. .

Yeah MDoggie, you stepped way out on that limb for that one. :) Side note..........I know MDoggie personally. I introduced him to the yard.

Reaction Score
Wife and I just about at half time on our tape. ...chocolate break. Lots of the ladies looking good thus far, but I'll single out CHONG (both for being on the floor at all, given some of the speculation flying around....but especially for playing as if she is a demon of some sort....terrific, including on defense)......and SAMUELSON! I used to fry her butt on here for the Left Coast attitude and play....but tonight she also is demonic.......a SUPER star on both ends....playing like she really gives a total damn..

Reaction Score
Yeah MDoggie, you stepped way out on that limb for that one. :) Side note.....I know MDoggie personally. I introduced him to the yard.

CARN: don't you fret....we've all done things along the way that we might wish we'd done a bit differently.

Reaction Score
Thinking that we continue to be doomed, I predict a nail-biter.

UConn 77
Nebby 68

Yes, I plan to schedule some intense therapy soon.

BB: you've come to the exact wrong place on THAT score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom