Scoe @ SMU in 2013? | The Boneyard

Scoe @ SMU in 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
don't understand why he would go to a rebuilding project and also deal with a coach who seems ready to bail at any moment. I'd also imagine that once LB saw Roscoe's game he would stick him at the 4 as well.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I'm assuming that would be allowed because SMU isn't a BEast school yet?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'm assuming that would be allowed because SMU isn't a BEast school yet?

As I understand it, until July 1, 2013, SMU is not a member of the Big East and therefore doesn't have to abide by its transfer rule.

Reaction Score
don't understand why he would go to a rebuilding project and also deal with a coach who seems ready to bail at any moment. I'd also imagine that once LB saw Roscoe's game he would stick him at the 4 as well.

Because Roscoe Smith would play large amount of minutes and would likely play a bigger role in the offense. Roscoe was a great hustler and good defender at Uconn but he was never the great offensive player or at least we didnt see it because thats not what he was suppose to do in games.

If the kid has his eyes on the NBA, he wasnt going to get their at Uconn being a hustle guy and good defender.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
LB is going to quickly turn smu into a a10/prov/shu type team talent wise then he will go somewhere else. but the quick building will allow smu to get another coach most likely a young guy to take it to the next level in the BE and be a good program. smu is not playing around, good for them.

Reaction Score
Because Roscoe Smith would play large amount of minutes and would likely play a bigger role in the offense. Roscoe was a great hustler and good defender at Uconn but he was never the great offensive player or at least we didnt see it because thats not what he was suppose to do in games.

If the kid has his eyes on the NBA, he wasnt going to get their at Uconn being a hustle guy and good defender.

Any offense that features Roscoe in a large role where the offense is run through him will be a bad one and Roscoe's limitations will be exposed even moreso than they are now. He could be more of a hustle guy here if he developed a consistent jumper, learned to handle the ball, developed some kind of move that didn't involve trampling defenders, and also showed a much better bbiq than what we have seen so far. I see him improving as a player but he would need dramatic improvements over the years to ever make the NBA.

Reaction Score
Any offense that features Roscoe in a large role where the offense is run through him will be a bad one and Roscoe's limitations will be exposed even moreso than they are now. He could be more of a hustle guy here if he developed a consistent jumper, learned to handle the ball, developed some kind of move that didn't involve trampling defenders, and also showed a much better bbiq than what we have seen so far. I see him improving as a player but he would need dramatic improvements over the years to ever make the NBA.

SMU will look at him and say, this guy have National Title Experience, can hustle and play good defense. Roscoe may also perform better against whatever conference SMU is in right now than against the Big East competition. This is my guess, i have no idea what Roscoe is thinking. Maybe he was part of fued that sided with Lamb over Napier and didnt want to be apart of what Napier was preaching.

Reaction Score
Wait, what?
I have heard that there were feuds going on on the team this year. I'm not sure how reliable the information I got was but I heard from someone who works in Gampel that Lamb and Shabazz didn't get along very well. Maybe lamb didn't like how shabazz ran the offense and Roscoe felt the same way. Again, I have no hard evidence this was true I just was told this.

Reaction Score
Any offense that features Roscoe in a large role where the offense is run through him will be a bad one and Roscoe's limitations will be exposed even moreso than they are now.

there is no way of knowing this thru what we saw of him at UConn.

some players respond differently when they are the focal point and some (especially top recruits) have a difficult time becoming role players after being the main guy their whole life.

i'm not saying that he is going to be a superstar but if his role is that of the main guy, it wouldn't shock me to see him be successful despite his struggles here.

Reactions: caw

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
if this is true, he obviously wants playing time

and Brown at SMU might be the only coach that knows how to get kids into the NBA & can promise playing time

Reaction Score
if this is true, he obviously wants playing time

and Brown at SMU might be the only coach that knows how to get kids into the NBA & can promise playing time
this move would be kind of surprising. I guess since SMU isn't technically a Big East member it could accept him, but that would be a little bad faith I would think. Plus, while there might be different rules when you're banned from th epost season, I would be surprised if UCONN would approve such a move, again because SMU will be in the Big East before he graduates. usually the school that a guy is transferring from can approve or disa pprove potetntial moves, though that might not apply in our situation. I think, though that it did still apply to USC when they were banned for cheating.

Reaction Score
Wait, what?

From Dave Borges Article Uconn could Use Some Stability Right Now

"This coach also had some interesting things to say about this past year's UConn team -- namely, that the general knock around basketball was that the Huskies "didn't get along well ... at all" -- particularly the guards. At least one recruit has said he witnessed this discord first-hand while at a UConn practice."
anon16-rounded.gif
Anonymous said...
Why does Calhoun have to announce he is coming back every year? Why cant people just assume he'll be back for the remainder of his contract until he announces otherwise?

Also im sure the problem had to do with napier and boatright or napier and lamb. Lamb's body language this year was awful.
April 24, 2012 1:15 PM
b16-rounded.gif
David Borges said...
True, he doesn't have to announce it, but let's be honest, there is speculation about his status after every season, for good reason: health, age, and now the NCAA tourney ban for next year. People around the program whose jobs could hinge on whether or not Calhoun returns still don't know.

As for the problem, one of those two combinations is correct. I'll leave it at that.

caw

Reaction Score
From Dave Borges Article Uconn could Use Some Stability Right Now

"This coach also had some interesting things to say about this past year's UConn team -- namely, that the general knock around basketball was that the Huskies "didn't get along well ... at all" -- particularly the guards. At least one recruit has said he witnessed this discord first-hand while at a UConn practice."
anon16-rounded.gif
Anonymous said...
Why does Calhoun have to announce he is coming back every year? Why cant people just assume he'll be back for the remainder of his contract until he announces otherwise?

Also im sure the problem had to do with napier and boatright or napier and lamb. Lamb's body language this year was awful.
April 24, 2012 1:15 PM
b16-rounded.gif
David Borges said...
True, he doesn't have to announce it, but let's be honest, there is speculation about his status after every season, for good reason: health, age, and now the NCAA tourney ban for next year. People around the program whose jobs could hinge on whether or not Calhoun returns still don't know.

As for the problem, one of those two combinations is correct. I'll leave it at that.

Not shocking in the least considering the team, I just didn't see that before.

Reaction Score
this move would be kind of surprising. I guess since SMU isn't technically a Big East member it could accept him, but that would be a little bad faith I would think. Plus, while there might be different rules when you're banned from th epost season, I would be surprised if UCONN would approve such a move, again because SMU will be in the Big East before he graduates. usually the school that a guy is transferring from can approve or disa pprove potetntial moves, though that might not apply in our situation. I think, though that it did still apply to USC when they were banned for cheating.

Maybe, but Mike Gbinije in Daverod's thread "Duke Transfer Mike Gbinije Commits To Syracuse" is doing exactly that to Puke...Both player's would have to sit out their new team's final season in their current conference & start playing when their current teams switch leagues. And both players would do that without ever leaving the conference they played in.

Gary Coleman;)

Reaction Score
Not shocking in the least considering the team, I just didn't see that before.

makes a lot of sense.. i do agree that lambs body language was awful and a lot of times i saw Napier and Lamb yelling at each other. Probably had something to do with Napier being put in the leadership position and lamb not

Reaction Score
I think it was apparent that Lamb and Shabazz were a bit at odds. For that matter it looked like Shabazz was not meshing well with Boatright either. Shabazz and Lamb played too many minutes and as a result there were times when they flat out weren't hustling, were injured or exhausted. I really like Shabazz and love his loyalty. With that being said, his game is bipolar and he needs to learn to play and carry himself in a consistently solid manner.

Roscoe to SMU is interesting. I think Roscoe should not transfer, but since he is, maybe SMU is a decent place to go. He will get minutes and his game will be picked apart and analyzed by a coach as critical as Jim Calhoun.

Reaction Score
It also seems like Shabazz and Calhoun are pretty tight and on the same page. If any of these kids were anti Shabazz im sure they were also on Calhouns bad side. Once again its all just speculation and idk if we will ever know the real truth. I still say its something more then just the post season ban as to why everyone wanted to bail out...

Reaction Score
I can easily see Lamb and Bazz not getting along. Lamb is a very chill guy, while Bazz is energetic and assertive.

From there, it's easy to extrapolate to team-wide chemistry problems. If the best player on the team (Lamb) is undermining the captain and vocal leader (Bazz), it's difficult for the team to rally together. It absolutely explains why Bazz was frustrated that the team wasn't buying into his leadership.

The fact that our other captain (AO) was whiny and mopey all season doesn't help either.

This is why I think the team will be more cohesive next year with Lamb and AO gone. Of course, if there's an issue between Boat and Bazz, then we're still screwed.

Reaction Score
It says something about Alex that he was a co-captain and he left his team when the going got tough. I understand he wants to look good for the NBA, but seriously, if you want to look good for the NBA then you need to play well at UConn. F the post-season ban cop out. What transfers have left UConn and ended up playing in the NBA? I can't remember any off the top of my head.

Reaction Score
It says something about Alex that he was a co-captain and he left his team when the going got tough. I understand he wants to look good for the NBA, but seriously, if you want to look good for the NBA then you need to play well at UConn. F the post-season ban cop out. What transfers have left UConn and ended up playing in the NBA? I can't remember any off the top of my head.

When was the last time UConn had a transfer who was as good as Oriakhi?

Reaction Score
At this point I question how good he actually is. Our team wasn't that good last year and he did very little. You could say the guards didn't pass him the ball (they did, often times he couldn't catch it), but dude didn't rebound the whole year.

U

UCONNfan1

makes a lot of sense.. i do agree that lambs body language was awful and a lot of times i saw Napier and Lamb yelling at each other. Probably had something to do with Napier being put in the leadership position and lamb not
well isn't the PG generally the leader? after all he has the ball in his hands most of the time and generally gets the offense started in a half court set, or even on a fast break if the rebounder is looking for a quick outlet to the best ball handler.

i'm a little surprised that there was dissention - after all, Shabazz got to learn behind an all time great in Kemba, and he was the undisputed leader in the NC year prior. i'm not sure that Lamb would be peeved that Napier was the "leader". i'd guess it had more to do with how Napier did it, which apparently rubbed Jeremy the wrong way.

still a bummer. you hate reading about that stuff, even if it does explain some of the issues we saw on the periphery and in their results...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom