Schwan, Laurent, Brodie,Morgan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Schwan, Laurent, Brodie,Morgan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anybody have access to Lichtenfels article on Schwan on the Scout site. Supposedly discussed both UConn and PSU. If I had a choise right now I would take Schwan over Morgan. I see a bigger need at DE than safety/CB with Lanier and Williams at CB and Obi and Marder at S. Although, it seems pretty likely that Obi may switch to OLB given his size. I am a bit concerned that Morgan doesn't have the size to play safety or the cover skills to play CB. I would rather have CBs like Lanier and Williams who have played CB against strong HS competition as the position is based so much on instinct.

I guess we are hoping for an many PSU commits as possible in the next few days leading up to Schwan's visit and potentially a Morgan visit.
I read the article the other day...main point in article...he had in home visit with Larry Johnson, who asked for game film to take back with him...he was invited to campus for his "official" visit...but had NOT BEEN OFFERED a scholarship. Unless he is offered on his visit (with probably a HARD push for a commitment on the spot) he is definitely a fall back fill the roster guy for them right now.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
just to mention, it seems that we may still want a DE or a RB. well there are 2 good looking prospects at EH(wayne morgans school) that are still looking for offers. they are not highly rated kids but ppl know about them. i always wondered if PP offered one or both of those kids if that would sway morgan. get us a top kid we want plus add depth plus the nyc angle for future recruiting...

Reaction Score
Has anyone heard anything about Barrington Morris or Jevon Tyree?....both recruits have been quietly sitting on our board, but no news. I have a feeling we will be hearing from Morris soon, but idk if tyree has made any visits anywhere, let alone UConn.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Has anyone heard anything about Barrington Morris or Jevon Tyree?....both recruits have been quietly sitting on our board, but no news. I have a feeling we will be hearing from Morris soon, but idk if tyree has made any visits anywhere, let alone UConn.

i was real excited about morris becuase he had good things to say about visiting uconn this month. i think college is on hold and juco is the way as of right now. maybe we will hear from him next year.

tyree-were in the final grab bag but i have never really seen anything that made us look like we were in a good spot. who knows.

Reaction Score
Lessons to be had here for UConn football fans. Still remains to be seen who we will still sign for the 2012 class, because by all accounts we have a couple of scholarships still available, but the fact is, and always will be, you won't get every kid that you offer a scholarship to agree to take it.

Good grief Carl, how dumb do you think we are?

The other fact, is that if you are not all in, and stepping up to the plate to bat for every top notch kid that fits the profile you want in a student athlete, then you've got absolutely NO chance of signing them.

I would think selective targeting would be important for UConn.

The other, other fact, is that you establish the profile of the student lathlete you want, by establishing the level of competition that you want to compete at, in any sport, and you get to that level of competition in student athletes that you recruit year in and year out,and this program has lofty goals. Top 25. Regular.

Yep.

I'm very excited for the class of 2012, and the returning upper classman for the 2012 season. The future is very bright.

Let's see how we finish up.

Last thing to say, is that it's crystal clear that Penn State is in scavenger mode and scrambling to build a high quality recruiting class out of the rubble that was their 2011 season.

Delicate balance though, in how you do things, because you establish a rep quick in this business, and your reputation, and your word and how you conduct your business is all you got. I'm not quite sure that the way that the new staff is operating at Penn State, is going to be good for that program in the long run.

No one knows what will happen at PSU. Good. Bad. It's all guesses.

I think the fact that other programs are beginning to scavenge our recruiting class, swooping in to their homes, the moment they get home from campus, as quickly as less than one full year into a recruiting cycle, speaks volumes as to the reputation that our staff has out there.

This has been going on for years.

Sooner than later, those kids WILL realize that they'll probably get more out a college education and football playing experience by going with the people that actually targeted them early on to be a significant part of the program, rather than getting targeted late in the game by another program that's using all of our legwork to fill out a recruiting class.

Win and they come. Lose and they won't.

You win some, you lose some. THe future of UConn football is very bright.

Excellent use of cliches.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Could be huge, but if they manage to keep a lot of the staff intact maybe that has an effect like it did for us last year. You could speculate either way.

Reaction Score
Could be huge, but if they manage to keep a lot of the staff intact maybe that has an effect like it did for us last year. You could speculate either way.

a week before LOI day? I doubt it, rutgers fans want to believe they'll keep this class together, but honestly is you were a recruitand played a special position like wr, qb or cb, you are committing because you may like the offesnse or defensive schemes a team runs. Does Carroo want to play in a spread offense or a proset? No one knows who the new coach will be, it's madness for the young kids, many will walk I say.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
you don't have to sign on feb 1. alot of the kids can wait a couple weeks and see whats up. 3/4 of that class can back out in late feb from a verbal and they could still find a home at bc/uconn/cuse/pitt/psu/iowa/tosu i think

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
sylvas loi. i'm real excited about him being a husky.

Reaction Score
you don't have to sign on feb 1. alot of the kids can wait a couple weeks and see whats up. 3/4 of that class can back out in late feb from a verbal and they could still find a home at bc/uconn/cuse/pitt/psu/iowa/tosu i think

I hear what you are saying Dan, but if you wait, you run the risk of not having any spots left for you. I'm sure teams would save a space for a guy like Brodie, but my point was you really need to know who the coach will be before you commit. Carroo was quoted as saying he's stay with rutgers as long as the wr coach is still there, the wr coach could get fired by the new coach, it's a messy situation. It bodes well for all the other teams lining up.

Reaction Score
I hear what you are saying Dan, but if you wait, you run the risk of not having any spots left for you. I'm sure teams would save a space for a guy like Brodie, but my point was you really need to know who the coach will be before you commit. Carroo was quoted as saying he's stay with rutgers as long as the wr coach is still there, the wr coach could get fired by the new coach, it's a messy situation. It bodes well for all the other teams lining up.

What you say is true BEC. The new recruits are kind of in a no-man's-land. If no new HC is named before Feb 1, then they are totally banking on their assistant being able to stay on under the new HC. And has been discussed, what happened last year with UConn once Coach P was hired is very rare! Most assistants are shown the door when a new HC comes in! I'm sure Rutgers will want to name the new HC before Feb 1, IF there is any possibility of doing so. The catch will be that they may ask him to NOT let his plans be known regarding the current assistants, until AFTER signing day. In this way, the recruits are secured, yet the HC still has full authority to let them go if he so chooses.

Either way...whether the new HC is named or not before Feb 1, the assistant coaches will have no idea of their future status and thus, neither will their recruits who sign on! The only way this could be resolved with an outside hire is if a coach is named early on and he flatly commits to keeping all the assistants right up front. But how could any coach reasonably do this, unless he knew them already? With an inside hire, there still wouldn't be certainty, but a far greater chance that he would keep a good portion of the staff the recruits feel comfortable with. A smart outside hire, not knowing if he wants to keep them or not, would say that he is going to evaluate the existing assistant coaches before making any decisions. Of course, this process could take days to weeks to complete. So the recruits would still have no idea before signing day, but could only hope.

Bottom line...if a recruit wants any certainty as to who his HC...OR his assistant coach.... will be, unless it's an inside guy, Rutgers will likely not be able to tell him with any degree of integrity!

Reaction Score
Maybe Coach P should not onky offer Hafley the dbacks job...BUT offer P.J. Fleck the wr job as well!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom