Scholarship Grid | The Boneyard

Scholarship Grid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know if this is here already somewhere but I know I like to see them.
GRID.png

Reaction Score
This roster limit stuff is a mystery to us, well mainly to me. But I'm very sure Geno knows exactly what to expect and how to bring next year's team in under the limit. I'm satisfied simply with that.

But on a related topic, in the latest video on Paige's remarks about returning next year, the back2sports guy showed a screenshot of what looked very much like @BRS24's roster grid. Any thoughts on that?

Reaction Score
Bills Fan- - I think there is a % to be under to qualify for hardship year! And 2 games is under that %!
Azzi would qualify if applied for!

Reaction Score
Doesn't Paige have 2025-26 available too?
2020-21 doesn't count toward eligibility
2021-22 Freshman
2022-23 Didn't play
2023-24 Sophomore eligibility
2024-25 Junior eligibility
2025-26 Senior eligibility
I believe that is correct, so Paige would have two more available years and could be listed along with Azzi and Caroline on Husky Nan's list for 25/26. I think her way of showing the options makes it easier to visualize a complex scenario.

As for for Azzi, I think that is a given that she would get an extra red-shirt year due to injury. There is a pretty specific rule, I think something like 30% of your games. If you play in fewer games than that threshold you qualify for the medical red-shirt. Since she has only played two games and won't play any more this season, she will get the extra year if she wants to take it for sure. Caroline is shown with a question mark because although she too has only played in two games, she could in theory return to play enough games this year to exceed the game limit. If she doesn't she will qualify for the extra year too.

As for when we will know some of these things, many things come into focus very quickly after this season. The WNBA draft means the four that could return have to decide within a few days of the season's end because of those deadlines. The number of roster spots available for next year should be known by then. Do we have room for Sarah and/or a portal addition etc. The portal time period is right after the season as well when we could learn who might be available for possible pickup, and if we have had any departures that would free up a spot.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
This roster limit stuff is a mystery to us, well mainly to me. But I'm very sure Geno knows exactly what to expect and how to bring next year's team in under the limit. I'm satisfied simply with that.

But on a related topic, in the latest video on Paige's remarks about returning next year, the back2sports guy showed a screenshot of what looked very much like @BRS24's roster grid. Any thoughts on that?
Based on the colors, it looks like Raoul's, however it was a really quick glimpse. Here's mine, with the standard caveat of no assumptions on whether the bottom grid actually happens:
1704976315161.png

Reaction Score
Doesn't Paige have 2025-26 available too?
2020-21 doesn't count toward eligibility
2021-22 Freshman
2022-23 Didn't play
2023-24 Sophomore eligibility
2024-25 Junior eligibility
2025-26 Senior eligibility
Other than wanting Paige to come back for selfish reasons I don't see an up side for Paige for coming back. She will be among the top players drafted and will be one of the catalysts of pushing the WNBA to new heights. She really is doing all she can at the college level and if she stays she won't be playing against any players that will make her better. If I were picking number 1 she would be hard to pass on even if CC is in the draft.

Reaction Score
Other than wanting Paige to come back for selfish reasons I don't see an up side for Paige for coming back. She will be among the top players drafted and will be one of the catalysts of pushing the WNBA to new heights. She really is doing all she can at the college level and if she stays she won't be playing against any players that will make her better. If I were picking number 1 she would be hard to pass on even if CC is in the draft.
Just based on injury history alone CC would go #1 over Paige

Reaction Score
Well in terms of her legacy and being mentioned with Uconn's all time greats, as in Diana, Maya and Stewie, there is much unfinished business. They have more than one championship and were the #1 pick in their draft class. If Paige departs this year, most think she will not be the #1 pick and obviously she would leave without a championship.

It is also not uncommon for players recovering from ACL surgery to be close to normal in their first year back, but not be all the way back or completely 100% until their second year. I think being a little better next year than this year is logical not just from an experience standpoint, but also from a health point of view. If that happens even to a mild degree I think the #1 pick is far more likely next year than this one, along with the obvious quest for a championship.

Reaction Score
Another indicator for how confusing, and how much uncertainty there is over this, is how many of the players on this year's roster have or have used the option to stay more than the normal 4 years.

By my count it is 9 out of 14. Further two of those 9 could extend for two years past their normal graduation year (Paige and Aubrey) due to both the Covid year and a red-shirt year.

The number of players who could wind up using a red-shirt year in their career, is also shocking, namely 7 or half the roster, including Aubrey, Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Ice, Ayanna, and Jana. Five straight recruiting classes with a player who could use the red-shirt (Aubrey was the class before Paige, Nika, and Aaliyah).

Quite a few top programs have had injury issues like Notre Dame, Texas, UCLA, Utah and others that have affected their championship aspirations, but it is almost incomprehensible to have three straight black swan like injury plagued seasons like we have suffered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom