Schiano was Bucs 12th choice | The Boneyard

Schiano was Bucs 12th choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The Glazer family that owns the team interviewed at least 10 candidates for the opening, including Oregon's Chip Kelly, who was offered the position before turning it down earlier this week.

The Bucs also talked to former NFL head coaches Mike Sherman, Brad Childress and Marty Schottenheimer; Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski; Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray; Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer; Green Bay quarterbacks coach Tom Clements and former Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, who accepted the head coaching opening with the Miami Dolphins.

An 11th known candidate, ex-Dallas Cowboys coach and current Houston defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, canceled a scheduled interview with the Bucs that would have taken place while the Texans were in the playoffs.
It just made me laugh this morning. That is all. :)

Reaction Score
The Bucs/Glazers have a funny way of doing things. I know the NFL is a copy cat league but come on. They hired Raheem Morris because of the success Mike Tomlin had. They thought Morris was very similar in that he was young, energetic, no prior HC experience. Now they hire a college guy, not even their first choice of a college guy, because of the success of Jim Harbaugh. They fired two great coaches in Dungy and Gruden. Just makes you shake your head.

Reaction Score
i think the Glazers are picking up Al Davis's torch in terms of terrible ownership decisions. pretty soon they'll start drafting WRs with 4.3 speed and stone hands in the first round every year

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well they interviewed 12, was the only other offer to Kelly? That doesn't really make him 12th choice, as much as I don't like him.

Reaction Score
It would be nice if they can screw up Manchester United!

Reaction Score
It would be nice if they can screw up Manchester United!
Beers up, if you hate United!
Beers up, if you hate United! F'ng wancs!

COYS!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You know that doesn't make him their "12th choice" right?
Yes, I know. Just gave me a chuckle at 7am. And you don't usually hear about all 12 candidates for a coaching position. Kind of a bizarre approach.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I sense a lot of Bidwell in the Glazers, as far as NFL ownership goes.

Good luck to Shady down in T.ampa - he may need it...

Reaction Score
Brilliant!. Spurs play this afternoon at Watford, but will be sitting many of the regulars, and good old 'arry Redknapp may still be in the courts dealing with the tax evasion charges.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Well they interviewed 12, was the only other offer to Kelly? That doesn't really make him 12th choice, as much as I don't like him.

He wasn't their 12th choice...although that list is a veritable who's who of guys you don't want coaching your football team. (Brad Childress...really?)

I'd almost have more respect for the Bucs if Schiano was their 12th choice. Incredibly, he was much higher than that.

I'm sure during every NFL coaching search, someone in the room says, "Hey, I know....let's hire the Rutgers' coach!" And then everyone laughs and high-fives.

Someone musta made the joke this time around with the owner in the room and it just went horribly wrong. (As in they actually hired the Rutgers' coach.)

Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I find this hire hilarious.

As a Bucs fan, I want to cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak