Schiano promised multiple National Championships at Rutgers! | The Boneyard

Schiano promised multiple National Championships at Rutgers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Remember. And he kept right on promising, everything to everyone. It's amazing people keep believing his promises.

Reaction Score
He didn't even win a BE championship. That would be the first step before a Nat'l title was possible. Can't believe anyone would believe that garbage. Has anyone from the BE ever won a national championship? Certainly not with the BCS.

Reaction Score
Never even won a big east title. Not even a share of one. Where are all the RU posters who troll this board when a recruit commits to them over us?

Reaction Score
He didn't even win a BE championship. That would be the first step before a Nat'l title was possible. Can't believe anyone would believe that garbage. Has anyone from the BE ever won a national championship? Certainly not with the BCS.
UHHHHH Miami

Reaction Score
Still turning that corner....
Still building that wall......
Still Rutgers......

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
All he is, all he ever was, was mediocre. Thats it.

Naturally, a fanbase that knows nothing about success, or winning, or championships...failed to understand this. UConn/SU/WVU/Pitt fans have said this for years.

They are truely a clueless people.

Reaction Score
Rutgers will always be mediocre ! Makes me feel good about where were headed.

Reaction Score
Remember. And he kept right on promising, everything to everyone. It's amazing people keep believing his promises.

Didnt' I tell you he was a good salesmen? The product doesn't matter to a good salesman, just closing the deal.

I hope, that the kids out there, realize that at UConn, we consider the product to be much more important, than the sale.

A good salesman can't hide the bad quality of a product forever, but a good product will always overcome the activity of a bad salesman.

A good product and a good salesman? Now that's the goal.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
According to this article, Schiano didn't even let his assistants know he was leaving. His assistants were at Don Bosco Prep recruting and were wondering why Schiano was late to the meeting.

I understand keeping it under wraps in case you don't take the job...but to leave your assistants hanging out there and to put them in this situation is very selfish and unprofessional. Schiano didn't even have the decency to call his assistants to let them know once he decided to leave...they found out from the press as Schiano was leaving town. But I guess that is why Schiano has such a turnover on his coaching staff...they are expendable for Schiano's gain.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...ruits-wait-greg-schiano-never-arrives-meeting

Reaction Score
Didn't he just make a committment to a player at a mjor presser yesterday? If I were a parent of that kid I'd be thrilled. Stayed for an entire recruiting cycle then bolted. Some business this is.

Reaction Score
Didnt' I tell you he was a good salesmen? The product doesn't matter to a good salesman, just closing the deal.

I hope, that the kids out there, realize that at UConn, we consider the product to be much more important, than the sale.

A good salesman can't hide the bad quality of a product forever, but a good product will always overcome the activity of a bad salesman.

A good product and a good salesman? Now that's the goal.

Having said that, I would love to get RU's head recruiter! :)

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
All he is, all he ever was, was mediocre. Thats it.

Naturally, a fanbase that knows nothing about success, or winning, or championships...failed to understand this. UConn/SU/WVU/Pitt fans have said this for years.

They are truely a clueless people.
I hate to say this, but our fanbase has a harder time getting excited about football than theirs because we're so used to being a national power in other sports. We're almost better off with a fanbase who gets excited about 7-5 and sh!ts their pants over 10-3.

Reaction Score
I hate to say this, but our fanbase has a harder time getting excited about football than theirs because we're so used to being a national power in other sports. We're almost better off with a fanbase who gets excited about 7-5 and sh!ts their pants over 10-3.

National championships are the measuring stick. If that's not the goal, then suspend the football program.

Reaction Score
It is absolutely true that our fanbase is going to need a winner to get really excited. How is that different from anythign else in sport though? The extent of the bandwagon, is what you really need to look at.

The university of connecticut athletics fan base is just getting it's very first taste of college football on the national scale. Even though we've been relevant within our conference, we have not been relevant nationally yet.

There's a big reason why the AD at Boston College is so petrified of competiting with UConn. It's the 3 million or so people within the small confines of the state of CT, in the that will go absolutely rabid with a regular top 25 football program.

That's where we need to be. That's the charge that Pasqualoni has. Top 25 football program. That means winning significantly more than you lose.

You just watch what happens when we start playing games at Rentschler and on the road, with a number between 1-25 in front of the Block C on the scoreboard tickers.

Reaction Score
National championships are the measuring stick. If that's not the goal, then suspend the football program.

I agree completely.

But with college football, and this is not an excuse by any means, the concept of national championship is different than any other sport in teh country. Much different. Every athletic program, in every sport, including football up to the 1-AA level, has a clearly definied path to a national title, and it's the same starting point and finish point for every team.

That is not the case in 1-A football, and it has not been teh case since 1876.

We are a lot closer to realistically saying we can compete for a national championship in football, than say, Temple.....but it has nothing to do with the ability to play the game.

That's the only thing, the ONLY thing that sucks about college football.

College football, I believe has the potential to grow bigger than the NFL, in fan support, with the simple establishment of a playoff system among conference champions to determine a national championship. It would level the playing field for every program playing at 1-A, and more specifically - level the RECRUITING playing field.

The simplicity of it, of putting it in place, is what's astounding. It's the 125 year history of the money flowing around the bowl games that prevents it.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think the fanbase is well aware of the differences and the increased difficulty in winning a football national championship.

It's still the goal.

Reaction Score
Can you blame Schiano for saying he wants to win championships? I would be disappointed in a coach who DIDN'T say they were going to win championships.

Reaction Score
Can you blame Schiano for saying he wants to win championships? I would be disappointed in a coach who DIDN'T say they were going to win championships.

But is it feasibly possibly coming out of the Big East? I know it has been done, but Miami had already been a Nationally recognized program.

Reaction Score
But is it feasibly possibly coming out of the Big East? I know it has been done, but Miami had already been a Nationally recognized program.
Yes, I think a Big East team could win a championship (Boise St in a few years has the best shot). My point goes mostly to the point that I don't want a coach who doesn't believe that his program can reach that height (cough cough Randy Edsall).

Reaction Score
I get the thinking but there are no teams even close to Boise State. WVU being the closest.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I get the thinking but there are no teams even close to Boise State. WVU being the closest.
BS... both Cinnci and WVU were a game away from the national title game in recent memory. The Big East certainly can produce national title worthy teams. You just don't get the benefit of the doubt you get if you're a SEC school.

Reaction Score
The truth is that the current BCS system, and membership in the Big East conference give us a much greater chance at a national title in 1-A football than what existed before the bowl alignment system was first created in 1991. It's probably a shock to the youngsters, but prior to the early 1990s, just 20 years ago, the national championship game participants in college football were entirely determined by media and coaches polling. The BCS system makes it a little less subjective, and restrictive, but not much, and going to the +1 system they're talking about is a load of horsesh*t. Basically all that does is CYA in a situation like they had this year, where the title game is rematch, and there is no playoff system.

The flip side, is that a true playoff system, would be great for college football, amazing, but it would also make it very hard to win a national championship, harder than it is now, harder than it would be for us to win one now, but all 121 teams would have the same road to a national title, and that would be amazing for the sport. I trully believe that if the 11 1-A conferences could set up a playoff of conference champions for the national title, it would only be a matter of a few years before college football would overtake the NFL in fan viewership = money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom