Schiano interview on WFAN today cancelled at the last minute..... | The Boneyard

Schiano interview on WFAN today cancelled at the last minute.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
...Schiano asked that there be no questions about his years at Penn State. Francessca said sorry, as a reporter I cannot agree to that, interview cancelled. Hmmmm......

Schiano worked under Sandusky.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
What's the "Hmmmmm...." for? Do you suspect Schiano of something? I am just asking. I don't.

Reaction Score
What's the "Hmmmmm...." for? Do you suspect Schiano of something? I am just asking. I don't.

In this case, a reasonable question for everyone will be what did you know and when did you know it. This will apply to EVERYONE associated with the Penn State program, players included. Not saying its fair, but it needs to be asked.

Reaction Score
No I don't, he's always been a straight arrow. That being said, his refusal to talk at all about Sandusky who was his boss from 91 to 95, still warrants a "hmmm".

Reaction Score
You learn a lot working that closely with somebody for five years . . . .

Reaction Score
Sure. Schiano is going to go on with Mikey and state that he always thought Sandusky was a creep but never had any proof. And he should do this why? Would any of you--doubtful. Case needs to be settled through the legal system, not WFAN and Fatso.

Reaction Score
Errr, um, Pasqualoni played under Sandusky.

If the coaches caught any wind of this coming down the pike, you think they would have stuck around State College? Just last season, Larry Johnson was offered a highly paid DC job in the Big10. He stuck around State College--a move he no doubt hugely regrets today. But if this was somehow known, I can't see why coaches like Johnson stuck around.

Reaction Score
Sure. Schiano is going to go on with Mikey and state that he always thought Sandusky was a creep but never had any proof. And he should do this why? Would any of you--doubtful. Case needs to be settled through the legal system, not WFAN and Fatso.

No, he should, when asked, lament how awful the situation is, recognize the victims and their families, and then say that he was never aware of anything. Pretty easy, over in 30 seconds. Francessa isn't one to push incessantly.

Instead he preemptively dodges any questions.

Reaction Score
Maybe Shady got a call to interview for the HC job. RE will be walking out the door as Shady walks in.

Of course JH will be doing the interviews.

Reaction Score
So canceling an interview that was supposed to help get your image out in the NYC area where you can hype up your program because instead it is trying to connect you to one of the worst stories in college football's history? I give you a hmmmm if you find that weird

Reaction Score
So canceling an interview that was supposed to help get your image out in the NYC area where you can hype up your program because instead it is trying to connect you to one of the worst stories in college football's history? I give you a hmmmm if you find that weird

It's a simple question that is easily dealt with unless . . .

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

Exactly. That interview was not going to serve Rutgers football at all, so no reason to do it.

Reaction Score
No, he should, when asked, lament how awful the situation is, recognize the victims and their families, and then say that he was never aware of anything. Pretty easy, over in 30 seconds. Francessa isn't one to push incessantly.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I mean why refuse to talk at all now? Just tell it like it was and diffuse any negativity now. Now the questions will be from the next reporter "why did you refuse to talk to MF about your years under Sandusky"? I just think it's not smart on his part.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There is no issue here. Both parties were within their rights.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

And then he says, "and I don't know how Penn State ever recovers from this." Twist the dagger. No one who ever had a locker in Happy Valley will ever work there again, so it isn't like Schiano is a candidate for the job. Penn State is drowning. Throw them an anchor.

Reaction Score
I dont see an issue with that. Schiano doesn't want to spend his entire airtime talking about the PSU scandal. I am sure like many others connected to PSU, he is in shock, sad and held Sandusky in high regard and possibly a mentor from his days there. He coaches for Rutgers and wants to focus on his program. I don't think he is dodging questions because there is more to his situation. It has been 16 years since his time there and he didn't want to discuss it.

And lets be honest, this whole thing about Schiano being a Paterno replacement is crazy. He coahed there for 5 years which was a long time ago. He has done a nice job with Rutgers, but nothing that would make him a lead candidate for PSU. If/when PSU opens up, the list of quality candidates will be long and he will be at the bottom of the pack. Rumor has it that Meyer would be interested in the PSU job. Game over if candidates like that want the job.

Reaction Score
I agree with BHusky. Schiano has been out of State College for years. He actually has a pretty good team at Rutgers this year...not great but pretty good. And why would he want to be badgered about this? Is it possible he heard rumors? It could be. But that doesn't mean he atually knows anything and this could actually get out of hand. Francessa doesn't ususally do that, but he occassionally goes off when he smells blood or thinks he does. Here's one scenario...Francessa asks if he ever heard rumors that Sandusky engaged in this behaviour. Schiano says no. Some other former grad assistant says it was common knowledge "that Sandusky liked boys"...Now Schiano is "involved." I'm assuming he wasn't involved, had know knowledge of what Sandusky was up to and is just as disgusted as the rest of us.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It may not have been Schiano's decision. If he did hear rumors at PSU or knows something and is going to be interviewed by the DA or defense attorneys, he may have been advised not to make any statements.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
It may not have been Schiano's decision. If he did hear rumors at PSU or know something and is going to be interviewed by the DA or defense attorneys, he may have been advised not to make any statements.
Good point. For that matter, his RU higher ups may well have told him to say nothing about PSU. I think big time football school administrations across the country would be wise to stay completely out of this media storm.

Reaction Score
I am sure Schiano has heard all the same rumors most people connected with PSU Football have heard for years. If he declined or was told to decline by RU officials, it only makes sense to stay out of this mess. He has no connection to the school and hasn't for some time now. These rumors were no exactly classified information. I know several people that have taken part in Sandusky's Charity events that are shocked about this, but have heard whispers about some of these issues dating back to the early 2000's.

Reaction Score
The interview was scheduled weeks ago to hype the RU/Army game in Yankee stadium. There was no way Fatso was going to concentrate on Rutgiz and the Army game, and was sure to hound Schiano about the PSU situation, which is his right. It is also Schiano's right to decline since no RU publicity would come of all this. Even if this whole scandal had never occurred, Schiano would never do an interview that mostly focused on PSU. Why should he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom