Scheduling - time for a rethink? | The Boneyard

Scheduling - time for a rethink?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Ive been thinking this for a while, and now that we are in conference it is kind of academic, but something pumpkin head Gillen said made me think it again.

Im wondering if we are actually screwing ourselves by scheduling out of conference so tough with such young, new teams every year.

The original premise behind scheduling a murderers row early every year when we first joined the AAC was the assumption that we were projected to be top of the heap in conference every year and that we would need the non conference RPI bump for tourney seeding. Talk about putting the cart before the horse. That obviously never worked out and has been nothing but a detriment to us because we simply arent good enough early to take anything but a confidence beating out of these games.

Jim Boeheim (and you won't hear me quote this idiot much, but I think it is something I agree with him on, and I think Calhoun did too) has a saying when people criticize Syracuses easy early schedules:

" You don't learn anything by losing except how to lose"

I think back to Calhoun teams especially in the 90's. We feasted on Cupcakes until the conference schedule. We might get one high profile game before conference and then maybe one or two non conference snuck into conference . Dont believe me? go back and look at the schedules. Calhoun very much 'protected' his teams early in season. When Calhoun projected that he would have a team with experience that could benefit from tough early season he would schedule tougher to see where we were at. When he had a young team with new pieces, he preferred cupcakes early. I think that helps a young team. I dont think we gained anything from Michigan St, Arizona, Auburn, Arkansas etc. Villanova is going to wax us, but Im OK with a late January high profile matchup. We used to do late HJan. early Feb matchups all the time under Calhoun. That is an appropriate time to test yourself and always a good break from conference grind. We've had time to gel. We havent gelled, but if we were going to we should've by now. Its being in a hole on December 5th that I find to be a detriment to team development.

Let the kids make mistakes in games we can still win despite mistakes and I think they are a better team in January. I think winning can breed winning. Now here is a major difference between JC and where KO needs to get right or get gone. If we make a mistake in a cupcake game we win, KO needs to be fierce about correcting mistakes. If KO is just content for wins over cupcakes without instilling a system and culture, then it is all for naught. I'v seen KO be content with cupcake wins this year. Not good.

No matter who the coach is next year, Im of the opinion that we should very much lighten our load early season to start rebuilding this team from the ground up. Until we can reach the cycle of sustained success and returning veteran players who have already shown success.

Patrick Ewing was right to clear Georgetown out of PK80 and to start slow with Georgetown this year. While Georgetown is not a good team this year, theyve maximized what they have and have won a couple they shouldnt have and played some decent teams a lot closer than we have and I think that is a direct result of getting some wins under their belt against some bad teams early.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
So then stop trying to schedule like a high major
Stony Brook scheduled -

Maryland
Mich State
UConn
Providence
Rutgers

Only team UConn could beat this year is themselves.

August_West

Reaction Score
We're going to OT against Columbia and can't even blow out Coppin State at Gampel?

It's not the schedule that's the problem.

Its not THE problem. we have LOTS of problems. In my opinion its A problem. Thats OK to have that opinion right?

Man people are so stupid these days.

August_West

Reaction Score
Stony Brook scheduled -

Maryland
Mich State
UConn
Providence
Rutgers

Only team UConn could beat this year is themselves.

StonyBrook is signing up for guarantee games.

We dont sign up for guarantee games. We GIVE them.

Do people even understand how Basketball scheduling works?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This team could barely beat Stony Brook. We are the cupcake.
899965.jpg

August_West

Reaction Score
How about this. Instead of the geniuses in this thread who say "we can barely beat stony brook" (and dont you realize by saying that you are MAKING MY CASE FOR ME?)

how about someone takes the position on why in our current state of affairs we should be playing such a brutal non conference. explain to me how that has benefited us .

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How about this. Instead of the geniuses in this thread who say "we can barely beat stony brook" (and dont you realize by saying that you are MAKING MY CASE FOR ME?)

how about someone takes the position on why in our current state of affairs we should be playing such a brutal non conference. explain to me how that has benefited us .
Because it will look good to the selection committee.

Wait, nevermind.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

Because people complained our OOC schedule wasn't tough enough given we play in a conference of forget-me-nots.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
When have we filled the XL this year?
exactly.

Downgrading the opponents will help.

I see what you are saying - lets play more cup cakes, get an invite, and then let Ollie do his magic and reel off 6 straight!

August_West

Reaction Score
Good luck selling season tickets. This is worse than the "is it ok for us to rush the court?" thread.

So fans want to watch us lose.

Sells tickets.

Yeah that sounds like a Northeast fanbase

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn has to schedule tough out of conference because it has too many cupcakes in conference. The non-conference schedule is not hurting us, the conference schedule is.

This league was a death sentence when we committed to it, and now a national championship coach is crashing and burning. Maybe people will see the light on our situation when an assistant coach leaves to be an assistant for another mid-major. Oh wait, that already happened.

August_West

Reaction Score
The non-conference schedule is not hurting us, the conference schedule is.

I think the non conference DOES hurt us. Not from a numbers standpoint, but from a confidence and team building standpoint.

We limp into a cupcake league schedule with our tail between our legs because we have been conditioned to already taking a beating the previous 2 months.

I have to wonder if we look so beaten on the floor down 25 to Memphis last night if we hadnt already lived through Auburn and Arkansas.

Reaction Score
There is little doubt that a "Coach" will use the time early in the season (coming off a workload pre-season) to identify what he/she has in terms of players, skills, combinations, attitude, effort, ambition, learning curve (could go on and on). Especially with a rebalanced roster, extreme youth, seriously injured incumbents, 5th year grads, Juco's (again...on and on). I mean you are D1 program and expected to win (4 NC's aside). So the scheduling situation (asuming JC also passed on this strategy) seems to boil down to KO and staff (have to also wonder what AD Dave was thinking).

Hard to understand what KO was thinking besides an ill-fated attempt to get tourney points. Delusional? I'll stop there since this is only frustration, and some logic talking.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think the non conference DOES hurt us. Not from a numbers standpoint, but from a confidence and team building standpoint.

We limp into a cupcake league schedule with our tail between our legs because we have been conditioned to already taking a beating the previous 2 months.

That ship sailed when we stayed in this goat rodeo of a league. We need hi RPI opponents to balance out the bad RPI opponents in league play. The schedule we have would get us an at-large big if we had split the early P5 opponents and won 20-22 games. If we just schedule 3 P5 opponents non-league, we need to beat 2 of them and win 25 games to get an at-large bid.

If you want to get more early season cupcakes, you should campaign for 4 league games in November and early December.

August_West

Reaction Score
That ship sailed when we stayed in this goat rodeo of a league. We need hi RPI opponents to balance out the bad RPI opponents in league play. The schedule we have would get us an at-large big if we had split the early P5 opponents and won 20-22 games. If we just schedule 3 P5 opponents non-league, we need to beat 2 of them and win 25 games to get an at-large bid.

If you want to get more early season cupcakes, you should campaign for 4 league games in November and early December.

I think finishing top 3 in league with no bad OOC losses gets you in every year. We should be able to do that regardless of Non conference schedule.

Reaction Score
The premiss of scheduling a tough non conference when we were worried about the quality of the AAC was a valid one. This whole thing only makes sense when you have a decent team getting some early season quality wins that helps with tournament seeding. It all falls apart when you get blown out by the good teams which is where we are now. KO miscalculated the quality of his team. I think that he thought we would be a tournament team. His recruiting, coaching ability and judgement is now under question. The argument is that Gilbert’s loss made the whole thing fall apart. My contention is that you have to have enough quality players because injuries are expected.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Its not THE problem. we have LOTS of problems. In my opinion its A problem. Thats OK to have that opinion right?

Man people are so stupid these days.

Sure I suppose you could have that opinion.

What weight do you give it? 5%?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom