Scheduling SEC Teams | The Boneyard

Scheduling SEC Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Wonder why Geno or the SEC coaches are reluctant to schedule a home/away game against UConn? Going back 10 years, I can only find games played against LSU & Tenn. I'm excluding NCAA tournament games. Tenn is off the schedule for good and who knows if Nikki Caldwell (LSU) would schedule games. Since Geno has said he's willing to play anyone, I presume the SEC coaches are reluctant to play UConn.

Besides Stanford, it seems the major out of conference games are against ACC teams for the last 5 years or so. Baylor and A&M are recent additions to the schedule but we don't know at this time if they'll be renewed. Also A&M is going to the SEC, so if there is a concerted effort by the SEC not to play UConn, the series won't be renewed or who knows the return game might not be played at A&M.

Surely the SEC Athletic Departments realize that adding UConn to their WBB schedule gives added publicity to the program and just about guarantee a sell out or at least the same attendance they get when Tenn comes visiting.

I would love to see the series be renewed for Georgia Tech since Georgia is lucrative recruiting area for UConn.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
LSU/Georgia/Kentucky??

I wouldn't mind a home and home series with any of those teams!!

Reaction Score
Georgia Tech seems to be on the rise and gave us a good game a few years back. Georgia
on the other hand seems to be perennially over rated and we have put a beat down on them a few times, IIRC

Reaction Score
Wonder why Geno or the SEC coaches are reluctant to schedule a home/away game against UConn?
Perhaps getting pounded by Tenn year in and year out is enough. They don't want pulverized (or is it polarized) by UCONN as well. They don't want the SEC to be exposed at a the weak sisters they are?

Reaction Score
Wonder why Geno or the SEC coaches are reluctant to schedule a home/away game against UConn? Going back 10 years, I can only find games played against LSU & Tenn. I'm excluding NCAA tournament games. Tenn is off the schedule for good and who knows if Nikki Caldwell (LSU) would schedule games. Since Geno has said he's willing to play anyone, I presume the SEC coaches are reluctant to play UConn.

Besides Stanford, it seems the major out of conference games are against ACC teams for the last 5 years or so. Baylor and A&M are recent additions to the schedule but we don't know at this time if they'll be renewed. Also A&M is going to the SEC, so if there is a concerted effort by the SEC not to play UConn, the series won't be renewed or who knows the return game might not be played at A&M.

Surely the SEC Athletic Departments realize that adding UConn to their WBB schedule gives added publicity to the program and just about guarantee a sell out or at least the same attendance they get when Tenn comes visiting.

I would love to see the series be renewed for Georgia Tech since Georgia is lucrative recruiting area for UConn.
I seem to remember some talk last year that Pat was not happy about the LSU/UConn game; word being that she would like the SEC to basically boycott playing UConn.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I bet none of the coaches want to cross Pat. LSU probably won't play us again unless it's in a tournament or something. Playing Kentucky would be interesting....doubtful that the UK coach would schedule it though because of Samarie. Who knows?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Isn't the Kentucky coach a disciple of Pat's, or am I totally misremembering that?

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
I bet none of the coaches want to cross Pat. LSU probably won't play us again unless it's in a tournament or something. Playing Kentucky would be interesting....doubtful that the UK coach would schedule it though because of Samarie. Who knows?

You mean you think the Kentucky/SEC coaches make the schedule based on the feelings of players or the prejudices of an opposing coach? As for Pat Summitt's feelings, unfortunately, I don't think she's going to be able to coach for long. In the not too distant future, Tennessee will be starting a new era in women's basketball (not because I wish it, but because Alzheimer's is a terrible disease that does terrible things to mental functioning).

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I know GT is in the ACC, I justed added that as a comment even though GT isn't in the SEC. GT gave a Maya led team a good game and the atmosphere was great.

Georgia Tech is in the ACC, Georgia is in the SEC.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
You mean you think the Kentucky/SEC coaches make the schedule based on the feelings of players or the prejudices of an opposing coach? As for Pat Summitt's feelings, unfortunately, I don't think she's going to be able to coach for long. In the not too distant future, Tennessee will be starting a new era in women's basketball (not because I wish it, but because Alzheimer's is a terrible disease that does terrible things to mental functioning).
Absolutely I think it plays a part in it. Teams schedule other teams because the coach is prejudiced towards them in a positive way, such as Geno playing Hartford or Holy Cross...they schedule teams so that players can play in their home state, so that recruits can see them...there are tons of reasons coaches pick to play or not play teams. Some are positive, some are negative. Coaching is a very close fraternity, and coaches that are close with Pat might have sided with her and not pursued a series with UConn. Who knows? They will obviously never say so out loud, but it's entirely possible.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It really doesn't matter since the SEC is increasingly becoming a weaker conference.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What do you think the TN fans would do if UConn went to Knoxville to play TN. They hate UConn they hate Geno and they hate the Boneyard. We would go in there and embarass them by big numbers. Do you think they want that? They dont like playing in their minds second fiddle to UConn. We go in and beat them badly and what does it prove. We make them their staff and their program look silly. No we wont be playing TN for a very very long time if ever.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
A&M may be possible to schedule. Yes Kentucky coach Matthew Mittchell did work camp for Pat Summitt.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
It really doesn't matter since the SEC is increasingly becoming a weaker conference.
That's sort of my reaction as well. If they don't want to play us it's their loss. It would seem ESPN isn't pushing it (aside from Tennessee).

Reaction Score
Geno and UCONN are having more luck with the ACC and B12.........Now, we need the B10 and the Pac??

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I seem to remember some talk last year that Pat was not happy about the LSU/UConn game; word being that she would like the SEC to basically boycott playing UConn.
i wouldn't be surprised if that were true, but it's really just speculation and unless one can find something like that in an article where someone was quoted as saying such, i'm not sure we can just perpetuate the rumor. then again, hasn't stopped some fans from doing that anyway.

Reaction Score
You're making an AWFULLY big leap here. Just because they havent played UConn, doesnt mean they don't want to.

Sure, Geno said he'd play anyone, but that doesn't mean he *wants* to play everyone nor that he can play everyone who asks -- there are only ~14 non-conference games each year. And with the need for more home games, the number of home & homes is quite limited. I think there are about 8?

Some of those, like Baylor & Stanford, are high priority. For the others, you've gotta factor in things like mutual interest and scheduling and travel. I can't imagine that Geno has a lot of interest in going to Ole Miss, Miss St., or Arkansas for example.

Pretty skimpy evidence to draw broad conclusions, I'd say.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Methinks you'all might be stretching a bit.

Pat and CVS have always gotten along and we play Tennessee from time to time including this year. I read we have played them 10 years straight, but some of those were NCAA. Otherwise, not too many SEC games historically. Georgia a couple of times, LSU a couple are all I can really think of in the last 10 years. Playing Florida this year, but it was convenient as we are also playing Miami on the same trip I believe.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Are you sure you want to go there?
Yeah, I do because it's one of those things that comforts me when I can't sleep at night. It doesn't need to be true.

Reaction Score

If you were a coach of any of the Power Confrences, would you schedule Uconn if there was a possibility of losing at home by 30-50 points ? These teams did. 2000 @Washington 100-54, @Illinois 97-55, 2001@Wake Forest 88-38, 2002 @NC ST 78-50, 2006@Virginia 96-60 on ESPNU, 2007@Virgin Islands-Duke 74-48, 2008@Purdue 100-50 on CBS, 2008@South Carolina 77-48, 2009@ North Carolina 88-58, 2009@Texas 83-58 on ESPN2, 2010@Duke 81-48 on ESPN2, 2010@MSG Ohio ST 81-50 ESPNU, 2011 @ North Carolina 83-57 on ESPN2. NCAA Tournament blow-outs--2008@Dayton Round 3 Iowa ST 74-36, Round 4 Florida St 90-50, 2011@Philadelphia Round 4 Duke 75-40.
Do these coaches still have a job and the ones that do, should they? Do you think The ACC teams will continue to schedule Uconn to be humiliated at home? Even non-power confrence teams like Hartford and Holy Cross are having second thoughts.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
If you were a coach of any of the Power Confrences, would you schedule Uconn if there was a possibility of losing at home by 30-50 points ? These teams did. 2000 @Washington 100-54, @Illinois 97-55, 2001@Wake Forest 88-38, 2002 @NC ST 78-50, 2006@Virginia 96-60 on ESPNU, 2007@Virgin Islands-Duke 74-48, 2008@Purdue 100-50 on CBS, 2008@South Carolina 77-48, 2009@ North Carolina 88-58, 2009@Texas 83-58 on ESPN2, 2010@Duke 81-48 on ESPN2, 2010@MSG Ohio ST 81-50 ESPNU, 2011 @ North Carolina 83-57 on ESPN2. NCAA Tournament blow-outs--2008@Dayton Round 3 Iowa ST 74-36, Round 4 Florida St 90-50, 2011@Philadelphia Round 4 Duke 75-40.
Do these coaches still have a job and the ones that do, should they? Do you think The ACC teams will continue to schedule Uconn to be humiliated at home? Even non-power confrence teams like Hartford and Holy Cross are having second thoughts.

Again, although I don't follow men's college basketball closely, I wonder about whether this thinking applies there (and I'm not being naive about what motivates people, including basketball coaches). Does anyone schedule men's games against North Carolina, Kentucky, and Duke (just to name a few)? Somehow, I suspect the top men's schools are on most other top team's wish lists (please correct me if I'm wrong) because of their desire to be competitive and beat them. So, if the kind of thinking that Mike144 is describing, it's no wonder that there are those out there who have little regard for women's basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom