SCar vs Duke | Page 10 | The Boneyard

SCar vs Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
One thing I noticed was the relative youth of the South Carolina fans. I would say the average Duke fan in attendance today was 50-70 years old.... while the average SC fan seemed to be 20s,30s, and 40s. A few 50 and over... but not many. That makes a huge difference in fan noise.

That is a massive change from 2003 until 2007, the height of the Cameron Crazies at women's games. For the big games (UConn, Tennessee, Maryland, UNC), it was the students out in full force. The 2003 game against UConn was as loud as the best men's games. The 2006 game against Tennessee was raucous. The 2007 game against Maryland (when MD was #1) was ridiculously loud, especially for an early Saturday game (tipoff was noon or 1:00 pm).

Only 6000 fans showed up yesterday, and estimates put that figure at 40-45 percent SC fans. There is no longer a student presence at Duke WBB games. There are no "Cameron Crazies" for women's games.

Reaction Score
That is a massive change from 2003 until 2007, the height of the Cameron Crazies at women's games. For the big games (UConn, Tennessee, Maryland, UNC), it was the students out in full force. The 2003 game against UConn was as loud as the best men's games. The 2006 game against Tennessee was raucous. The 2007 game against Maryland (when MD was #1) was ridiculously loud, especially for an early Saturday game (tipoff was noon or 1:00 pm).

Only 6000 fans showed up yesterday, and estimates put that figure at 40-45 percent SC fans. There is no longer a student presence at Duke WBB games. There are no "Cameron Crazies" for women's games.

I believe you though again I will note it is Exam Season. And tho SC was #1, it is neither a traditional rival nor a known WCBB power that would more naturally generate attention.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I believe you though again I will note it is Exam Season. And tho SC was #1, it is neither a traditional rival nor a known WCBB power that would more naturally generate attention.

As a Duke student, I did not miss games because of exams. I worked around the game (on one occasion, we actually brought our books and studied at halftime of a Duke men's game).

But your points are valid ones.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Cam; Do you think the crows would have been bigger had it been UConn?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
UConn beat the tar out of Tennessee teams who had the same thought. :: one has to wonder how anyone, after watching UConn dismantle the likes of Notre Dame, could think that South Carolina can come close to beating UConn.

I remember that Tennessee series differently. With a couple exceptions on each side, those games were dogfights. But then those Vols teams were infinitely better than this Duke team.
That still doesn't mean that the Blue Devils can't be a tough opponent with all that height. I feel the same way about Carolina too. It's a different matchup than Notre Dame, different playing style. And of course the Irish were missing a very athletic and tall piece the other day which changed things a bit. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the GameCocks could give UConn a game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Cam; Do you think the crows would have been bigger had it been UConn?
The crows don't get as big as ravens, so whether it was UCONN or not I doubt the crows could be any bigger.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I remember that Tennessee series differently. With a couple exceptions on each side, those games were dogfights. But then those Vols teams were infinitely better than this Duke team.
That still doesn't mean that the Blue Devils can't be a tough opponent with all that height. I feel the same way about Carolina too. It's a different matchup than Notre Dame, different playing style. And of course the Irish were missing a very athletic and tall piece the other day which changed things a bit. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the GameCocks could give UConn a game.

well, I do. UConn lost in OT by 2 points, and the rest of their games were not even close, including a very strong ND team. SC, different story - their two games against ranked opponents were close and one win was a gift. So, I am happy to wait until post game 9th February 2015 to revisit this, because anything beyond when has already been said is simply bluster.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
well, I do. UConn lost in OT by 2 points, and the rest of their games were not even close, including a very strong ND team.

Again, different teams, different matchups. And Notre Dame wasn't at full strength.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One of the things USC has been successful at thus far this season - moreso than say last year - was that they have moved the ball around much better: the spacings are improved, the passing is improved. Kadijah Sessions has improved greatly in this regard in terms of assists and distributing the ball to players making their cuts to the basket or to players in set positions for high % shot completions. Last season Sessions' basic role as PG was to get the ball across court without losing it, then get rid of the ball to Mitchell and let her make a drive move or decide to pass the ball off to someone else.

That's why Sessions had so few assists last season, and Mitchell led the team. Sessions' primary role was as a perimeter defender, which she is above solid at. But thus far this season she had improved greatly in the ball distribution/offense quarterbacking role to the extent that prior to the Duke game she led the nation in assists-to-turnover ratio, and USC as a team led as well (both Sessions and USC are currently 3rd nationally). USC has averaged 20+ assists per game coming into the Duke game, which was good for 4th nationally (they are now 6th), compared to under 15 assists per gm last season, good for 89th.

But Duke's height and post-zone defense first off cut off inlet passes into the Gamecock big girls, and then the guards didn't try to penetrate/drive into the zone as much as they have done against previous opponents' zones. Or maybe Duke did a better job of defending against that. So USC was devolved (especially moreso the 1st half) into becoming more of what they were last season: just pass the ball around the perimeter to players standing still mostly, waiting for the shot clock to wind down, until someone takes a hurried jump-shot. Our own defense kept Duke from capitalizing on the stunted offense of USC and jumping out to a sizable lead, so things never got totally desperate. But that explains the horrible first half showing.

We came out in the 2nd half with more resolve to run our offense, and even our perimeter/transition defense ramped up forcing a few early turnovers, and USC jumped to a 7-0 scoring run to start the half. It changed the tempo of the game and put Duke on the defensive a bit. USC had improved team motion in the 2nd half and took better shots, plus Williams getting 4 fouls helped as well. USC played more of the effective offense they expected to play for the whole game.

So IMO the 1st half was an unexpected speed-bump that was caused by Duke's great height: one that USC can use to learn from and try to see that it doesn't happen again. Other opponents will certainly continue to use the zone against USC - even UConn - but likely won't have the same size to offer that Duke did. USC just needs to continue to move and drive into the zone to develop better passing lanes to their bigs, to get them involved. We'll be alright.....
I haven't seen that yet. We'll see what the future brings.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Again, different teams, different matchups. And Notre Dame wasn't at full strength.

You forgot part of my post. Must have been oversight or a flaw in the software. If I were you, I would speak with the mods.

Anyway I said "So, I am happy to wait until post game 9th February 2015 to revisit this, because anything beyond when has already been said is simply bluster."

So you may not be happy to wait until February, and if so, find someone else to discuss this please. Thanks.

RL

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You forgot part of my post. Must have been oversight or a flaw in the software. If I were you, I would speak with the mods.

I thought it was pretty apparent that I quoted the part I wanted to respond to. Don't know why you're so taken aback by that. It's not an unusual thing to do.

So you may not be happy to wait until February, and if so, find someone else to discuss this please. Thanks.

I'm not sure what we're waiting until February to do. You said it's unfathomable to you that UConn wouldn't beat "the stuffing" out of them "easily". So you've clearly formed an opinion on what's likely to happen. I said I don't think it's so certain that UConn will destroy them based on that slog of a game against Duke. It's possibly, and I'd love to see it, but I'm not as confident of it happening as you seem to be.

Reaction Score

I agree. It's truly sad because there was a time that the women Dukies really had a following. To hear the cheers from S.C. fans at that game was totally crazy. And embarrassing. In the past, that would never have happened.

Reaction Score
I agree that matchups can often change the whole complexion of things but it's hard to believe a team that plays so disjointed and out of control and seems to be so totally undisciplined can keep up with the Huskies, even if they have an advantage on the interior. They are supposed to be a seasoned team and the only player that showed me any maturity at all was A'ja Wilson. UConn, in my estimation had their "bad" game and it stunned them and I'm inclined to think there isn't another stinker in their season.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Let me add one more point to my previous posts regarding greater fan energy. The big-time games used to bring out lots of actual Duke students. And they didn't just drift in. They were organized and prepared. The bleachers opposite the benches were a true Cameron Crazy scene for those games, with creative chants and props.

Remember "We're not blind, you're not blond" for Brenda Frese? The waving Wal-Mart bags and "roll-back prices" chants for Alexis Hornbuckle to remind her of a shoplifting incident in her past? And Pat Summitt so irate about it that she threatened to end the series? The "Mario and Luigi" costumes for Geno Auriemma, plus various cheers based on the "waiter" comments?

For these games, the students would symbolically "tent" for tickets, as they do for all men's games. The student section was full of students, with signs, painted faces, team-specific and player-specific cheers, and deafening energy that you do not see at any other women's basketball game, even for teams that sell out their games (students were comprising over half the attendance at these big Duke women's games and took up the entire first level).

There has not been a game like that in years. I stand by what I said earlier - this version of the Cameron Crazy that was prevalent in 2003-2007 is nowhere to be found at women's games under Coach P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom