SC versus UConn — So, how worried are you? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

SC versus UConn — So, how worried are you?

How worried are you about the Huskies v. Roosters?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Please use the chat room for in-game discussion

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Wilson is a great player, but I am just as sick of her as I was of the "Big 3" that year with Griner, EDD and Skylar. I get that they are trying to promote WCBB and make these women household names, and I appreciate it! I really do! But it seems like they picked the A'ja storyline before the season started and have just stuck with it, no matter what. Again, she had a fine season, and USC would be nothing without her this year. But there are other names - Ionescu, McCowen and Vivians, Durr, and yes, a few UConn players, that I feel have not been promoted the same way, for whatever reason.
"The Big 3." I remember the next couple of years they tried doing "Need to Know" players. I thought that their marketing of the Big 3 was very successful. Griner and EDD had size and unique skillsets. While Diggins is a talented guard that also is very attractive. All three have been 1st-team Wnba at least once.

Reaction Score
GC, I can't and won't attempt to speak for everyone or anyone. This is just one fan's opinion, but......I think the "sniping" as you call it at A'ja is because of the constant references by others (Dawn/Holly Rowe, and other members of the pre/post game TV broadcast media) that she is the best player in WCBB this year. To some folks, it does make a difference what others think, especially if it differs from theirs. Remember, here in the yard, we "snip" at each other, so outsiders and players on other teams are definitely fair game.

There also may be a little hostility left over by some for her snubbing UConn, and staying home. The staff wanted her bad. Just like they wanted Asia Durr, Lauren Cox, Arike Ogunbowale, Charli Collier etc, but, it wasn't meant to be. There are some here in the yard that think Katie Lou Samuelson is a better player than Wilson, in spite of the fact that Wilson got 32 first place votes for AA, and Lou got 30. It depends on one's perspective. We're UConn fans so of course we're going to be jaded/biased in our way of thinking. Personally I do believe that Wilson is a very good player, and deserves the recognition she received as an AA this year.

She did lead her team to a NC last year, however, I don't think she's the best player in Division 1, far from it. Personally, I'm more impressed with Teaira McCowan (Mississippi State) than I am with Wilson. I think Wilson's name comes up in the conversation, but that's it. I think she will be the first player taken in the WNBA draft in a couple of weeks, unless Las Vegas Aces coach Bill Laimbeer has made a deal, or has other plans. There are other players coming out that could also help his team THIS year. Conventional wisdom says he takes Wilson.

Tip in - I also don't think South Carolina could beat any team left in the tournament. :)
Sorry but McGowan over Wilson! REALLY! In their championship what did McGowan do! Wilson had her and MS for lunch.
You I do agree that Wilson is a very, very good player but now almost at halftime of U Conn vs SC again where is she? Their other big has done a lot more so far!
KLS or Ionescu deserve the NPOY over Wilson!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I included Walker because she will be needed if Dangerfield can't give more than 20-25 mins, or someone gets in early foul trouble. Saturday, Dangerous played 29 minutes, and was relatively ineffective (6 pts, 3 ast, 4 stls). I believe it was because of her on-going injury. IF she's able to give Geno 33 minutes or more, then I don't expect to see Walker at all, until the game has been decided. Since I have no way of knowing her current state of health, I'm including Walker because things don't always go as planned.
Guess you don't need to worry too much about CD here at halftime. I agree that MW will only come in and play significant minutes if there's foul trouble or injury.
Yes they sure haven't gone as many expected! U Conn 54 Sc 33!!!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
"The Big 3." I remember the next couple of years they tried doing "Need to Know" players. I thought that their marketing of the Big 3 was very successful. Griner and EDD had size and unique skillsets. While Diggins is a talented guard that also is very attractive. All three have been 1st-team Wnba at least once.
It was actually the "Three to See." The Big Three is and always will be Stewie, Tuck, and Mo.

Reaction Score
Sorry but McGowan over Wilson! REALLY! In their championship what did McGowan do! Wilson had her and MS for lunch.
You I do agree that Wilson is a very, very good player but now almost at halftime of U Conn vs SC again where is she? Their other big has done a lot more so far!
Bronx23
She is 6-8 with 14 pts. Jennings has 11. The rest of their team has 8 pts. Their guard play is awful. What did you expect?

Reaction Score
Many think tonight is going to be a relatively easy game and So Carolina has no chance. That's also what most of us thought when facing Miss St in last years Final Four. We know what happened in that game. UConn the team with experience came out tight and didn't play their usual game. I think tonights game is going to be tougher then many expect, because like Miss St, So Carolina has something to prove. A'ja if she doesn't get into foul trouble will have a good game and she'll be trying to carry her team back to the Final Four. On Saturday, I believed UConn easily wins. The closer we get to the game and seeing how loose the So Carolina players are, a little doubt is creeping in. Still predicting a UConn win, maybe by single digits.

Just looked at the poll results, and a loss is possible, exceeds all other choice.
You know who has something to prove? U CONN!
And half way thru, hmmm guess they are proving it! So far been around twenty points ahead for all of 2nd period. And SC definitely picked up their play in 2nd period and still fell further behind!

If it gets much closer than that it's because our subs come in last part of 4th quarter and their starting five stay in.
Our team is much better than theirs as is our coach and coaching staff better than theirs. Dawn looks lost!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
It was actually the "Three to See." The Big Three is and always will be Stewie, Tuck, and Mo.
You're right. Three to see definitely sounds better now that I think about it. I'm hoping that the last 2 of the Big 3 get healthy. I was a huge fan of Tuck when she played for UConn.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You know who has something to prove? U CONN!
And half way thru, hmmm guess they are proving it! So far been around twenty points ahead for all of 2nd period. And SC definitely picked up their play in 2nd period and still fell further behind!

If it gets much closer than that it's because our subs come in last part of 4th quarter and their starting five stay in.
Our team is much better than theirs as is our coach and coaching staff better than theirs. Dawn looks lost!
Bronx23
Please use the chat room for in game discussion

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Seriously this is garbage game plan.

I feel sorry for you guys, I really do. Two of my first cousins are Gamecock alums. It's like they've taken Dean Smith's old four corners offense out of mothballs, run the clock for 25 seconds and drive to the basket, hoping for a layup or foul. It's the same thing Duke did. If you don't get out of it, you can't get enough possessions to come back.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
To all of my fellow boneyarders that felt a little trepidation going into this game, you can take a deep breath now and relax. Ticket punched, we're in!!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Guess you don't need to worry too much about CD here at halftime. I agree that MW will only come in and play significant minutes if there's foul trouble or injury.
Yes they sure haven't gone as many expected! U Conn 54 Sc 33!!!
Bronx23

Isn't it wonderful?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Oh trust me I will Nan!! its people like you who always make us Gamecock fans want to stay around! I love this board so yes you all will be seeing me for quite sometime!
I'll have some great OT threads going!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Bronx23

Yes! I took several things into consideration. I did not take their head to head match up into consideration. That was only 1 game. I'm looking at an entire season. I looked at how McCowan did against everyone else. I looked at how many 20 pt/20 reb games McCowan had this year.

I looked at her stamina. She often plays 40 minutes. She block far more shots that Wilson does. She gets more rebounds than Wilson does. She's still a little raw, but she learning and maturing. McCowan has helped her team to a 36-1 record. Wilson could not save her team from the 7 losses they suffered this year. Wilson is more polished, and runs the floor better, but McCowan is more productive, and has more stamina. Wilson can't give you 20/20 consistently like McCowan can. Look at them in 5 years, and see which player is more dominant. By the time she's 25-26, McCowan is going to mature into a beast. My $ is on McCowan.

Reaction Score
Many think tonight is going to be a relatively easy game and So Carolina has no chance. That's also what most of us thought when facing Miss St in last years Final Four. We know what happened in that game. UConn the team with experience came out tight and didn't play their usual game. I think tonights game is going to be tougher then many expect, because like Miss St, So Carolina has something to prove. A'ja if she doesn't get into foul trouble will have a good game and she'll be trying to carry her team back to the Final Four. On Saturday, I believed UConn easily wins. The closer we get to the game and seeing how loose the So Carolina players are, a little doubt is creeping in. Still predicting a UConn win, maybe by single digits.

Just looked at the poll results, and a loss is possible, exceeds all other choice.
A loss is almost always possible against a #2 seed, who is defending national champion and has one of the best players and bigs in the country.
Many here are nervous because of last years totally unexpected loss to MS. This is not last year in so many ways, and much more likely than not, we still romped them even with Wilson having a good game and scoring quite a bit.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Yes! I took several things into consideration. I did not take their head to head match up into consideration. That was only 1 game. I'm looking at an entire season. I looked at how McCowan did against everyone else. I looked at how many 20 pt/20 reb games McCowan had this year.

I looked at her stamina. She often plays 40 minutes. She block far more shots that Wilson does. She gets more rebounds than Wilson does. She's still a little raw, but she learning and maturing. McCowan has helped her team to a 36-1 record. Wilson could not save her team from the 7 losses they suffered this year. Wilson is more polished, and runs the floor better, but McCowan is more productive, and has more stamina. Wilson can't give you 20/20 consistently like McCowan can. Look at them in 5 years, and see which player is more dominant. By the time she's 25-26, McCowan is going to mature into a beast. My $ is on McCowan.
Scoop you make lots of very good and accurate points.
My two main points is its not five years from now, and I agree by then McGowan may well be a beast. Secondly very few teams can come close to even neutralizing McGowans size and strengths so therefore all the 20 / 20's. She's surely developing and yes her stamina is much better, but I still see remainders of a lumbering big, which never impressed me.
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom