SC success recruitment | Page 3 | The Boneyard

SC success recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Welch started it all. She was homegrown and a nice player
Yep, that’s the 4 star. Very good forward and only 6’0. Two to three more inches and she would be a veteran in the WNBA. For now, she’s absolutely killing it overseas. Also, all class as a human being.

Reaction Score
Did Dawn leave her chair the whole game or just sit uninterested waiting for the game to end like she does during most UConn matchups? Anyone know Dawns coaching record verse Geno? Has Dawn lost every game to UConn by double digits? Probably my imagination.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At the same time, Mitchell’s shooting has been pretty bad. Irrespective of whether Indiana is the right fit for her, she needs to make shots if she is going to have a long career. And after three seasons and almost 100 games, she has not done so.

View attachment 36648
She and Sessions couldn’t shoot a lick outside in college either. SC was so unbalanced. That’s why I was surprised she had some nice games as a rookie in the W. Amazingly she is great at free throws. 89% career. Impressive. Beyond the arch is 27%.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also, Simple Dawg, Dawn took over a team that was dead last in the SEC and built it into the program, (notice not just team) that it is now. I don't know why you are making a big deal of this recruiting class. She out recruits everyone in the SEC besides Tenn on most years. We have already played 2 top 10 teams in the country with Baylor and UConn still to come. Who is Miss. ST. playing?
Texas, Oregon, Marquette, Washington in Dec. Agree on cupcakes todate and wish MSST schedule included UCONN because that game would give you a true measure of team quality.

Reaction Score
Texas, Oregon, Marquette, Washington in Dec. Agree on cupcakes todate and wish MSST schedule included UCONN because that game would give you a true measure of team quality.
Yes playing UConn in the reg season and even getting beat by double digits benefited Lville by experiencing playing a very good team. The players said it really helped them in making the final four run

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score

In the last 2 years, we've beaten

UConn
Oregon
Texas
South Carolina (once)
Baylor
Louisville

Basically every 1 and 2 tournament seed last year apart from ourselves and Notre Dame. You can use the "they played weak opponents in the regular season" argument only so much. Fact is, we have the ability to beat the best teams.... doesn't matter when we play them. A tournament win counts as much as a regular season win. RPI will calculate all that anyways and give us a fair seed at the end of the year. Besides.......... our schedule isn't that weak, it's just not the strongest. We go 31-1 and shouldn't be any argument that we should get a #1 seed.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'm much more worried about UConn actually. Because Geno always has an amazing team regardless of who he has. He goes undefeated in the regular season 3 consecutive years, 2 of which he did without the Breanna Stewart-Morgan Tuck-Moriah Jefferson train. That he loses so much talent and yet still maintains 2 consecutive undefeated regular season tells me something. Tell me how SC did after Dawn loses Kaela Davis, Alana Coates, and Allisha Gray?

So yes, I'm much more worried about losing to Geno in the NCAA tournament than I am about Dawn. You can win your SEC tournament games, but I'm far more concerned about the big trophy.

You’ve had some great years the past two years and I like your coach a decent amount. Sure, maybe your first post wasn’t an attack on SC.. but all of your subsequent posts have had a nasty bite. Look, I respect Vic.. and the program he’s built in Starkville, y’all mirror SC a lot. But the constant comparing between Vic and Dawn is tiring.. both coaches built up bottom dwelling programs off of mostly instate talent, both programs win big games and attract non traditional fans to WBB and now outdraw the rest of the country in attendance. That’s an accomplishment, especially in a conference that also includes Tennessee. SC has 5 Reg season titles and 4 Tournament Titles and we did a lot of our heavy lifting when Tennessee was still a better than good program.. in fact, plenty of people attribute Tennessee’s recent dip to SC’s rise. True or not.. who knows. The simple fact is that now Mississippi State has ascended to the level of Tenn and SC, but it’s going to be quite an accomplishment if Vic accomplishes in Year 11 at MSU what Dawn has accomplished in Year 11 at SC. It’s very possible that SC may dip this year, but neither the Gamecocks or Volunteers are going anywhere for the foreseeable future.. that’s just based on recruiting. Half of the battle is recruiting, and SC is climbing over that hump.

Some Gamecocks fans may in fact be a little insecure when it comes to WBB.. but a simple analysis of where you are (the Boneyard) and your program’s place in relation to SC’s will do all of the explaining necessary. Also, SC fans aren’t on the Boneyard creating threads about Mississippi State so not sure why threads like this from State fans are warranted. We’re fighting over scraps here. Neither program has 11 championships.

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Also, Simple Dawg, Dawn took over a team that was dead last in the SEC and built it into the program, (notice not just team) that it is now. I don't know why you are making a big deal of this recruiting class. She out recruits everyone in the SEC besides Tenn on most years. We have already played 2 top 10 teams in the country with Baylor and UConn still to come. Who is Miss. ST. playing?

Vic never schedules tough OOC and it’s quite possibly genius and irresponsible at the same time. His team’s look like world beaters early while everybody else is still figuring out their lineups. It works, why change..

I actually don’t get why Dawn insists on bashing her team upside the head with good team after good team 5 games into the season. She does this every year it seems, but this year it might actually backfire. We still have to play Baylor, Duke, Purdue and Temple yet.. and right now, Baylor is the only world beater of the bunch but the other 4 teams are not Lamar, Furman and Southeast Missouri State.. they are very capable of beating SC if we shoot like we shot it tonight. I’m nobody qualified to question Dawn’s decisions, obviously playing tough OOC prepares you in conference but still... would’ve been nice to pull back on the reins somewhat post-A’ja... seems like she scheduled TOUGHER lol. Good ol’ Dawn Staley lol.

Last edited:

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
OK....my first post even though I have visited for years for info on WBB in general. Let me get this straight. We have a Miss. St. fan posting negative things about the South Carolina program on a UCONN site ? Then , said Miss St. fan says that the South Carolina fans that defend them are insecure...from the same person who posted this on another teams site. Wow....I have seen it all now...well....almost all...lol. The pure and simple facts are, the teams are mirrors of each other. The problem is that one (South Carolina) just put together one of the best classes in WBB history and the Miss. St. fans need to trash them over that. South Carolina has owned Miss. St....13-1 with Dawn...beat then for the national championship...and yet....you feel the need to tell them they haven't been good. They have meds for that !

Reaction Score
Vic never schedules tough OOC and it’s quite possibly genius and irresponsible at the same time. His team’s look like world beaters early while everybody else is still figuring out their lineups. It works, why change..

I actually don’t get why Dawn insists on bashing her team upside the head with good team after good team 5 games into the season. She does this every year it seems, but this year it might actually backfire. We still have to play Baylor, Duke, Purdue and Temple yet.. and right now, Baylor is the only world beater of the bunch but the other 4 teams are not Lamar, Furman and Southeast Missouri State.. they are very capable of beating SC if we shoot like we shot it tonight. I’m nobody qualified to question Dawn’s decisions, obviously playing tough OOC prepares you in conference but still... would’ve been nice to pull back on the reins somewhat post-A’ja... seems like she scheduled TOUGHER lol. Good ol’ Dawn Staley lol.
Baylor is not a world beater this year. No reason you shouldn’t be able to match and play a hard competitive game with Baylor. The only reason is if you’re team isn’t functioning as a team and plays Tenn ball. Staley vs Mulkey. Duke is good in name only this year with no pg. Temple? Dayton might surprise. Even UConn is human this year. No one is safe from upsets early which makes it more fun

Reaction Score
Actually I know Dawn is a great coach but it is obvious she is player’s coach, by that I mean she handles the players with a gentle hand. I just do not see her pushing her players to give more than they feel comfortable giving. I also know the home fans are a positive influence for motivation. SC has been the mountain that MSST has struggled to climb, I see that continuing in the future. Make no mistake I have respect for SC WBB, wish you guys success except when MSST is the opponent.
Dawn used to overreact and obsess and neg out on players earlier in her career until an asst got a hold of her and said it’s not working and only turning players off.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Some Gamecocks fans may in fact be a little insecure when it comes to WBB.. but a simple analysis of where you are (the Boneyard) and your program’s place in relation to SC’s will do all of the explaining necessary. Also, SC fans aren’t on the Boneyard creating threads about Mississippi State so not sure why threads like this from State fans are warranted. We’re fighting over scraps here. Neither program has 11 championships.

I get it. Ok? I'm aware of where we are vs where you are. You are at Year 11. We are at Year 7. But Gamecock fans feel a sense of superiority just because Dawn has been a coach 4 years longer than Vic and had more time to reap more accomplishments?

Dawn after year 6 had one 1 regular season SEC championship, 2 Sweet Sixteen appearances, and 0 Elite 8 appearances. Vic after year 6 has 1 regular season SEC championship, 3 Sweet Sixteen appearances, and 2 National Championship games. ...... Ummmm?

But the constant comparing between Vic and Dawn is tiring..

Completely agreed. One thing even me and South Carolina fans can agree with. And....there was no nasty bite until the Gamecock fans came out defensive. All I did was respond to the original SC poster stating "We beat you the last 13 out of 14 times." I'm not sure why that needed to be stated, but it sounded stupid to make this into a rivalry. But hey... if you wanna go there, I can too. Like you said, my original post was merely a simple, humble comment about WBB.

I'll note to avoid SC threads in the future. I can promise you you'll have seen the last of me getting into a conversation about SC. Good day. I hope for the sake of Gamecock Nation you can all enjoy your season more than you can being defensive on an internet site. I couldn't care less if you bash Vic or Mississippi State. I'll continue to support my team. I have better things to do than to concern myself with what people say on the internet about our amazing team. We've done more than most programs did in their Year 6 and Vic is going to take us to new heights. Hail State!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44