SC success recruitment | The Boneyard

SC success recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My take on the recent success in recruitment by South Carolina. SC fans support SC WBB. For the last 3 years SC has lead the nation in attendance. BBall players want to play in full arenas just like all BBallers.
However, SC is not the dominate WBB team; UCONN is the standard other teams are striving to achieve. I contend UCONN supemency is due to superior player development. So although it is important to recruit successfully, IMO, player development is the key to success and Geno has shown he is the master for developing players.

Reaction Score
This is your second post regarding player development and SC, so I hope your not insinuating Dawn doesn’t develop her players because that’s definitely not the case. Prior to A’ja, Dawn had a team of low 4 stars and had 25 win team both years. Not to mention #46 ranked Tiffany Mitchell was two time SEC POY, All American and selected 9th in the 2016 Draft. Same for Alaina Coates ranked 28th out of High school was drafted 2nd. Dawn certainly develops players.

UCONN develops better than anyone in the country so of course they will be fine. If anything SEC teams should be worried not UCONN! Dawn is in position to win the next 5 to 6 SEC regular season titles! UCONN will always be known as the top program in WBB and fans should be proud of that but SC’s legacy is just getting started.

Reaction Score
This is your second post regarding player development and SC, so I hope your not insinuating Dawn doesn’t develop her players because that’s definitely not the case. Prior to A’ja, Dawn had a team of low 4 stars and had 25 win team both years. Not to mention #46 ranked Tiffany Mitchell was two time SEC POY, All American and selected 9th in the 2016 Draft. Same for Alaina Coates ranked 28th out of High school was drafted 2nd. Dawn certainly develops players.

UCONN develops better than anyone in the country so of course they will be fine. If anything SEC teams should be worried not UCONN! Dawn is in position to win the next 5 to 6 SEC regular season titles! UCONN will always be known as the top program in WBB and fans should be proud of that but SC’s legacy is just getting started.
Mitchell has been a better pro than I thought. Especially her first year. She’s not great but she’s not that bad either. Indiana is full of not high impact players but good enough to stick around. Without a center they have no chance. Natalie A is the same way - Ok but not enough.

Last edited:

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
They had one great recruiting class. (not saying they didn't have very good classes before), but this one tops them all off.

Just like the one Baylor had last year. These things go up and down. Dawn has an advantage going into 2019, but I don't lock into this "it's because their crowds sell out" thing. Rickea Jackson and Anriel Howard chose us over them for a reason too let's not forget. And Andra Espinoza-Hunter commited to Miss St. a few days after we beat South Carolina last year. And I still don't think Dawn will beat Geno anytime soon even with one or two more elite players.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
My take on the recent success in recruitment by South Carolina. SC fans support SC WBB. For the last 3 years SC has lead the nation in attendance. BBall players want to play in full arenas just like all BBallers.

How do you explain the recent recruiting success of the other USC, the one in LA? They have ABYSMAL fan support, yet they are putting together a nice class for '19. Attendance may be one factor, but it's not the only one.

Reaction Score
Mitchell has been a better pro than I thought she would be. Especially her first year. She’s not great but she’s not that bad either. Indiana is full of not high impact players but good enough to stick around. Without a center they have no chance. Natalie A is the same way - Ok but not enough.

Tiff has struggled with injuries and never seemed to find her footing consistently. I think she could be a solid role player on different teams like Atlanta, Phoenix or LA. The Fever just isn’t getting the job done with her. Look how much better Briann January looked when she went to the Mercury. Tiff is having a solid season overseas so hopefully she will continue that with the Fever this year.

Reaction Score
Tiff has struggled with injuries and never seemed to find her footing consistently. I think she could be a solid role player on different teams like Atlanta, Phoenix or LA. The Fever just isn’t getting the job done with her. Look how much better Briann January looked when she went to the Mercury. Tiff is having a solid season overseas so hopefully she will continue that with the Fever this year.
Very good point on January. She looked finished and ineffective her last year in Indiana.

Reaction Score
They had one great recruiting class. (not saying they didn't have very good classes before), but this one tops them all off.

Just like the one Baylor had last year. These things go up and down. Dawn has an advantage going into 2019, but I don't lock into this "it's because their crowds sell out" thing. Rickea Jackson and Anriel Howard chose us over them for a reason too let's not forget. And Andra Espinoza-Hunter commited to Miss St. a few days after we beat South Carolina last year. And I still don't think Dawn will beat Geno anytime soon even with one or two more elite players.

Ok what’s your point? You should be more worried about Vic beating Dawn than Geno... last time I check SC has beaten Miss St the last 12 out of 13 meetings and that number will likely grow within the next couple years. We are in the SEC, UCONN isn’t so they shouldn’t be worried about playing SC like Miss st should.

And as to Rickea and Anriel they chose the school of their choice. Congrats to them but don’t think for a second Dawn got down about losing out on them. Anriel claimed she wants a coach who can get her to the next level so let’s see if Vic can do that for her. Dawn has proved herself able to get her players to the next level while Vic’s first draftee was last year. Rickea obviously wants to be the center piece of that team for the next couple of year so good for her. Hope she likes runner up trophies:D.

Reaction Score
Ok what’s your point? You should be more worried about Vic beating Dawn than Geno... last time I check SC has beaten Miss St the last 12 out of 13 meetings and that number will likely grow within the next couple years. We are in the SEC, UCONN isn’t so they shouldn’t be worried about playing SC like Miss st should.

And as to Rickea and Anriel they chose the school of their choice. Congrats to them but don’t think for a second Dawn got down about losing out on them. Anriel claimed she wants a coach who can get her to the next level so let’s see if Vic can do that for her. Dawn has proved herself able to get her players to the next level while Vic’s first draftee was last year. Rickea obviously wants to be the center piece of that team for the next couple of year so good for her. Hope she likes runner up trophies:D.

Someone sounds insecure here

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score

I'm much more worried about UConn actually. Because Geno always has an amazing team regardless of who he has. He goes undefeated in the regular season 3 consecutive years, 2 of which he did without the Breanna Stewart-Morgan Tuck-Moriah Jefferson train. That he loses so much talent and yet still maintains 2 consecutive undefeated regular season tells me something. Tell me how SC did after Dawn loses Kaela Davis, Alana Coates, and Allisha Gray?

So yes, I'm much more worried about losing to Geno in the NCAA tournament than I am about Dawn. You can win your SEC tournament games, but I'm far more concerned about the big trophy.

Reaction Score
SC will be down this year as already seen vs Maryland (?) but they just added 3 of the top 10 HS players in their class of '19. Their future looks pretty good. Staley's teams still dont shoot well from outside. When I watch SC play I think of how "most coaches practice til you get it right, CT practices until you cant get it wrong".

Reaction Score

I like Miss St chances a lot verse SC this year. Didn’t feel that way in previous years though. Ms St better get it done while SC is down.

Reaction Score

Actually I know Dawn is a great coach but it is obvious she is player’s coach, by that I mean she handles the players with a gentle hand. I just do not see her pushing her players to give more than they feel comfortable giving. I also know the home fans are a positive influence for motivation. SC has been the mountain that MSST has struggled to climb, I see that continuing in the future. Make no mistake I have respect for SC WBB, wish you guys success except when MSST is the opponent.

Reaction Score
I'm much more worried about UConn actually. Because Geno always has an amazing team regardless of who he has. He goes undefeated in the regular season 3 consecutive years, 2 of which he did without the Breanna Stewart-Morgan Tuck-Moriah Jefferson train. That he loses so much talent and yet still maintains 2 consecutive undefeated regular season tells me something. Tell me how SC did after Dawn loses Kaela Davis, Alana Coates, and Allisha Gray?

So yes, I'm much more worried about losing to Geno in the NCAA tournament than I am about Dawn. You can win your SEC tournament games, but I'm far more concerned about the big trophy.

You mean the Big one that’s sitting pretty in our Basketball Facility? Oh yeah that one... I’ll be worried about that too if I were you.

Don’t make it seem like when Geno lost Stewie, Tuck, and Mo that he hand nothing to work with. KLS was the #1 player out of H.S., Collier was top 5 along with Gabby Williams who was coming into her own and Kia Nurse who started on two Nat’l Championship squads. That’s far Different from Dawn bringing in Kaela and Allisha for one year and losing them and Coates to the draft! I’m glad you don’t take the SEC games seriously because y’all would have a better chance of winning then in the tournament. I’m just calling it like it is!

Reaction Score
Actually I know Dawn is a great coach but it is obvious she is player’s coach, by that I mean she handles the players with a gentle hand. I just do not see her pushing her players to give more than they feel comfortable giving. I also know the home fans are a positive influence for motivation. SC has been the mountain that MSST has struggled to climb, I see that continuing in the future. Make no mistake I have respect for SC WBB, wish you guys success except when MSST is the opponent.

Likewise! But don’t speak on what you know... Dawn isn’t this coach that lets her players do what they want and doesn’t demands the best out of them! She pushes her kids to their limit and more and not only on the court but in life as well! That’s the definition of a players coach and why she can relate to her players. Because she’s been in there shoes and knows what it takes to be successful!

Reaction Score
How do you explain the recent recruiting success of the other USC, the one in LA? They have ABYSMAL fan support, yet they are putting together a nice class for '19. Attendance may be one factor, but it's not the only one.
NWHOOP, your post sheds some light to me. USC is located in a hot bed of HS basketball talent. You state recent recruiting success but it does not appear to me that success has resulted in WBB national prominence. Same thing happened at your rival, UCLA, they had a number 1 recruiting class but never got past elite eight. To me that illustrates the dominate trait for national supremacy is player development.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
You mean the Big one that’s sitting pretty in our Basketball Facility? Oh yeah that one... I’ll be worried about that too if I were you.

Why worried? What's done is done. 4 out of 5 times Miss.St and SC isn't likely to meet in the tournament. I had thought that loss in the tournament championship game might've done good for us at the end.... because it revealed how much we relied on our shooters to dial up the scoreboard, and make it look like we beat everyone by 30 points and were that good. Vic knew he couldn't keep playing that way and adjusted things in the NCAA tournament.

Don’t make it seem like when Geno lost Stewie, Tuck, and Mo that he hand nothing to work with. KLS was the #1 player out of H.S., Collier was top 5 along with Gabby Williams who was coming into her own and Kia Nurse who started on two Nat’l Championship squads. That’s far Different from Dawn bringing in Kaela and Allisha for one year and losing them and Coates to the draft! I’m glad you don’t take the SEC games seriously because y’all would have a better chance of winning then in the tournament. I’m just calling it like it is!

Not saying he had nothing to work with. But you'd expect a decline after losing those players. Breanna Stewart is a top 10 all-time college basketball player, I'd say that makes a difference between the UConn team of '14 vs the UConn team of '17. Kaela and Allisha were new to the team... sure, but Dawn simply gained some massive talent that allowed her to win a national championship. When that talent was lost, even a team with A'ja Wilson was not enough to continue SC's elite run. It's clear that those losses was what contributed to the decline of SC last year....... is the point I'm trying to make. I do take SEC games seriously, but I don't see what they have to do with our performance in the NCAA tournament. We were on a two-game losing streak in 2016 losing to Tennessee and Kentucky to end the regular season, and went on to a national title game.

Reaction Score
Actually I know Dawn is a great coach but it is obvious she is player’s coach, by that I mean she handles the players with a gentle hand. I just do not see her pushing her players to give more than they feel comfortable giving.

What?!? Gentle hand? Doesn't push players?!? Some serious ignorance about Coach Staley here. A lot of Temple and South Carolina players, past and present, might like to meet the kind of coach you describe as that certainly doesn't resemble the coach they describe playing for. Seriously, one of the most focused, intense, win obsessed players to ever lace them up in the history of women's basketball is going to turn around and, "gentle hand" it when the practice whistle is around her neck.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kudos to Dawn and S.C. for their robust attendance. That’s great, especially in an area that is football oriented. It is likely a very good selling point in recruiting. That said, if their average ticket price were the same as UConn’s, I wonder what the attendance would be. My understanding is that S.C. prices are about $5, whereas UConn’s prices are about $20 or so—please correct me, as needed.

I think Dawn is a good coach. I’m not ready to call her great, though. I like her because she came from Philly, played at UVA., and coached at Temple. I’d rate at least the following as better coaches: Geno, Muffet, Tara, Graves, Rueck, Bruno, Mulkey, and probably a dozen or more. She’s the USA coach based on reciprocal loyalty from her playing days, not because she’s the new Geno.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

How many times has State beaten SC in the NCAAT? I'll hang up and listen.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Kudos to Dawn and S.C. for their robust attendance. That’s great, especially in an area that is football oriented. It is likely a very good selling point in recruiting. That said, if their average ticket price were the same as UConn’s, I wonder what the attendance would be. My understanding is that S.C. prices are about $5, whereas UConn’s prices are about $20 or so—please correct me, as needed.

I think Dawn is a good coach. I’m not ready to call her great, though. I like her because she came from Philly, played at UVA., and coached at Temple. I’d rate at least the following as better coaches: Geno, Muffet, Tara, Graves, Rueck, Bruno, Mulkey, and probably a dozen or more. She’s the USA coach based on reciprocal loyalty from her playing days, not because she’s the new Geno.

My WBB season ticket was $270, which comes to $18 a game. We do have cheaper, $5 GA seats in the upper deck and some less desirable, cheaper tickets in the lower deck. Our WBB tickets are much more reasonable than UCONN's, but salaries are much lower in SC, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom