SC Postgame Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
the UConn/Tenn regular season game her year junior year. Seriously, go look at the schedule and box scores. Diana pretty much had to do this against half the Big East, and the top teams. Geno was trying to figure out a way to have Diana pass Diana the ball. ?

Those teams had no business winning a championship, but did because DT was magic those two seasons.

I don’t say this to negate anything that Paige is doing..heck, she’s being compared to The GOAT as a freshman..but what DT did with those teams, was just..remarkable. Remember the second best WNBA player from those teams was Ashley Battle.
I think it is fully ingrained in Paige's mind how much the team wants her to score, as no one, to this point, can stop her. All the abundant intensity & athleticism on this team is supported & enhanced when Paige scores so much. This is Paige's team, she is a freshman, & UConn is the best team in the country.

Reaction Score
i missed most of the game :( I must admit I had South Carolina winning this one. I don't mind being proven wrong. I can't wait for the replay to be uploaded so I can watch the game

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I will readily admit not buying into the Paige hype before tonight. I thought she was good, but I didn't get the hype.

HA, Paige Bueckers is GOOOOOOOOD. Like, I'm literally still in shock from that overtime.

Great win for UConn.
We didn't lie to you about Paige. I saw many HS games and FIBA games with her to get a good assessment of this kid. She's never been less than the best player on the floor pretty much every game. Now I'm going to tell you some more truth. Azzi Fudd was a better shooter in HS and in the FIBA games. She was also a better defender off the dribble, has the best power drive I've seen in some time, and her pull up is equally as good as Paige's. Azzi also rarely turns the ball over.

Reaction Score
Just watch what she did against Texas and Tennessee in the 03 FF! Against Tennessee 3/4 shot at halftime, 3 pointer to send to overtime and then a shot with 51 seconds let to win it all in one game.
That was for the Tennessee fan who made the comment on you lol.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure why so many people are happy here. Yes Paige is the best ever as a freshman we’ve ever had.... easy to see. But we are in serious trouble if the upper class players don’t take a long look in the mirror. I’m embarrassed as a UConn fan for the way they played tonight. It takes away from the excitement of the future titles that Paige and her crew will bring us. The freshman, those are UConn championship players like we’ve had in the past. The three ALL THREE I don’t expect them to be starts at this point, but dont be scared and at least contribute. We are not significantly, but I think at least 10-15 points better than SC. The juniors need to at least do something positive because Paige is gonna need help to keep this thing going. At least DT3 had role players that did their part. These women aren’t as far as I’m concerned and it’s kinda upsetting to me. I believe these three juniors have what it takes. I’m not just saying that, I really think that. Maybe Westbrook was off because she usually does a little of everything, so I give her a pass, but the other two need to figure out what they can do besides shoot from the outside because they both aren’t the best shooters. Liv needs to focus on being a defensive force and just rebound like crazy and maybe get some easy putbacks. Williams needs to drive more and just maybe focus on defens. I’m not sure but don’t be a liability, she is too talented for that. I only watched her a couple of times and she was lost or out of sorts out there. Unacceptable at this point in her career. I love and want them both to succeed more than anything, but man it’s frustrating. We won’t win a title like this.
You do make some very astute observations. I’m beginning to think that for whatever reason they are good against most teams but for the most part Liv and Williams don’t have the confidence that typically our upper class man have. And unfortunately they realize that when they shoot they hurt our team. When Liv shoots it takes away a big body for offensive rebounds and put backs and when Williams isn’t driving and finishing near the basket we are far less efficient offensively. As someone said they are complimentary pieces, we need to stop having the expectations that they will rise to the occasion. I hope the be proved wrong, but when you have so many data points it’s tough to be something that you’re not. It’s unfortunate, because I’ve really love Liv and Williams as players but if they are not clutch and when the game is on the line I just don’t have much confidence in them. There still time to notice marginally and maybe that’s all we need for the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
What a pathetic post. Our team won a tight game against a highly ranked opponent and fans aren’t allowed to be happy? Paige’s shot was one for the ages and all you can do is take the time to write about all their perceived deficiencies. I’m at a loss for words. SMH
Actually your pathetic, Paige played awesome as we all expect. I guess when you look at it from a game to game basis you should be excited to have watched a good game. In the grand scheme of things, the way we win doesn’t look good. As a freshman (hopefully not) Paige will hit her freshman wall and time is running out on our veterans to get with the program. Yeah this win is good, but I don’t wanna see Sc cutting down the nets in March, because are veterans can’t figure out how to contribute. On Sc everyone was playing as a team and contributed. They had an off night shooting as did we, but Paige may not be able to carry us for the rest of the year every single time. A signature of UConn is everyone does their part and I’m not seeing that and that is not a championship team in March. Be happy if you want, I already said days ago that Paige is the best at this point in her career than anyone we’ve ever had, but this isn’t 2004, these teams are better equipped to take on a team not fully engaged. I hope I’m wrong trust me.

Reaction Score
It really wasn't fair, and I'm going to complain to the NCAA. It was clear from my view that when SCar had the ball they were forced to use the Nike ball and when UConn had the ball they secretly switched in the Wilson ball. Damn outrageous and it cost SCar an easy victory.
LOL

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
You may miss the overtime because the game went over into the Ohio State / Maryland men's game.
You're right, @donalddoowop. The recording ended with UConn down and only a couple of minutes left in overtime. I guess I'll have to wait for the replay to see Paige's heroics. Until then, I'll savor the Boneyard comments.

Reaction Score
Great Game y’all! Sad someone had to lose that one!
Classy post. I have had a high opinion of Ms. Staley as a coach for a while. Several years ago, I was in Columbia on a business trip during the season, and so one day I called the ticket office just to see if I could get a ticket to go see them play. The folks at the ticket office were very nice, worked with me to arrange a ticket (got me a very good seat) and I went and watched and said to myself, "This program is going to be a championship team in the not too distant future." Well, they are definitely that caliber team now. And I agree, it's the kind of game that you almost want to end as a tie, as neither team deserved to lose.

I wish your team well in the SEC; perhaps we'll play again this season on a bigger stage, if you take my meaning.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I love how bad shooting nights for Paige are still over 50 percent.

Paige is carrying this team the way Diana carried her team as a junior. It’s unbelievable.

Also want to talk about Nika, who is one of the most intense basketball players I have ever seen, and Aaliyah..who makes the team better just by being on the floor.

I just love the Freshmen.
Same. Because intensity reminds me of Ken Renzotti.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Relative to Dawn’s postgame comments about the ball. In all the years I played basketball, through all the many games, for the life of me, I can not recall the particular brand of basketball we used in a single game.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Dee Kantner makes that a point of emphasis and has for years. UConn needs to be more aware of that. Stef used to pick up two quick illegal screen fouls in the opening minutes of games Kantner officiated. Whenever I see Kantner I know we're gonna hear a lot of whistling. I made that comment tonight at the start of the game, and sure enough... I don't know how she ends up working so many of our big games, but any time there is one of these national games, there she is.

My response is "Call it both ways". Boston did a couple that they let her get away with. Paige had a moving screen set on her right before the last 3 point attempt of the night by SC in OT. Kantner didn't feel like calling that one apparently.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Full assessment:

No South Carolina fan has been fully confident in the guards this season and tonight it showed. Both are talented but struggle with shot selection and turnovers. Gamecocks need more consistency and less damage from those two to be elite at season’s end. That said, both were a few degrees worse tonight than they typically are.

Boston was good but has issues finishing that I just cannot explain for a player of her caliber. Her rebounding is absolutely ridiculous and she cooly matched her season average in blocks tonight. She was good—not great—and that’s more than you can say for the others.

Saxton is so much better than she is recognized for. This game has a different outcome if she gets 6-7 shots instead of 3.

Bueckers was unbelievable (as an opposing fan, I hate her! lol). I’m not going to say a whole lot else because there really isn’t much you can say. She’s a professional. This isn’t news. If she isn’t a first-team AA, so help me god.

The rest of UConn’s non-freshman roster was dreadful which is part of what makes the loss tough to swallow. I do think both ONO and Williams appear to have regressed this year (they’re lower-usage, so it could just be optics, but Williams in particular seemed much better as a freshman than she does now).

I think South Carolina has more persistent deficiencies in its play (turnovers an issue, shot selection an issue, perimeter shooting as well), but as we saw, this team can hang and is very much in the national title conversation. But I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge UConn as the rightful favorite at this point.
She’s a professional.

Memo to NCAA: Paige is not a professional.

Reaction Score
I guess you forgot how she was responsible as A freshman for beating ND
Long time ago. As she stated freshman year she had no pressure. Geno told her to drive at will amd take the open shots, we had other great players. But Williams should be the alpha dog now, it’s her turn. She hasn’t become that. As much as people didn’t like Megan for not making others around her better she raised her game each year AND to AA status her junior year. Williams seems to have become a worse shooter than her freshman year and when she has the ball in her hands against tough defensive teams she hasn’t shown a consistent full game in her career against the best opponents. I think we need to lower our expectations for Williams.

Reaction Score
Can you name one specific game that comes close to what Paige did tonight?

-Paige scored half of the team's points on 54% shooting. The rest of the team shot a combined 31.9%.

-Paige scored the team's final 13 points, including two jumpers to send it to OT and all 9 points in OT. 5-5 shooting and 2-2 from the FT line.

-She did this against the #1 team in the country.
Most games didn't come down to last shots. UConn 2003 FF Taurasi against Texas and Tennessee was incredible! Those games were tight with Dee scoring over 60 combined.
Bird at the buzzer too.
Last second shots would be Kerry Bascom the Huskies first AA and Geno has stated this before. Last shot and Kerry in the same sentence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom