SC Dominates ND | The Boneyard

SC Dominates ND

Reaction Score
Are they that good OR is N.D. that bad??
In my opinion, ND is that bad. No defense. I think SC will give us a fight until we take over and win going away. But, that score was unexpected, so I guess SC goes up a couple of ranks, based on they have shown that they do have some fight in them. But we have the defense to stop them.GO HUSKIES!!!!

sun

Reaction Score
From the little bit that I watched Cardoso was a beast & Fulwiley was super slick.

Reaction Score
Wow and this was supposed to be a "down" year for South Carolina? They look scary good once again at least as much as you can glean from a first game. No Boston no problem apparently they just reload.

Reaction Score
I commented earlier this summer when the preseason polls came out that South Carolina was really being underestimated......losing Boston was a blow but having Cardoso as a replacement seemed pretty impressive to me......add Kitts, Feagin and all of the highly ranked recruits still on the roster and SC has a very talented team that could compete with LSU or UConn...........

Reaction Score
The ND-SC game confirms my suspicions:
1) without Miles, ND is far from a major contender.
2) SC is still a dominating force.
3) Paopao is okay, but they could play well without her once Fulwiley gets her sealegs under her. Johnson is a steadying hand at pg.
4) They still don't have a solid perimeter game, which won't trouble them now, but in March it could be the same problem it was last season.
5) Kamila is going to have a great season.
6) Kitts will not see a ton of minutes this season -- compared to Watkins Feagin and Jah she looks slow and confused.
7) Hidalgo's size caused her a lot of problems -- passes in the lane that worked in HS don't work in D1 among taller opponents.

I also watched the tOSU-USC game and Juju Watkins is all that. Problem for USC is there isn't much else to the team beyond her. Whenever she wasn't on the floor, the tOSU press was very effective.

The problem for tOSU is that McMahon was shut down by USC, including Juju, who is bigger and at least as fast and has great handles. If the rest of D1figures out how to shut down McMahon the way USC did, it will be a long season for tOSU.

The only downside of Juju's game is that she is foul prone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think ND is really “that bad”, at least right now. No Miles and Citron was kind of invisible. They were really leaning on the freshman.

South Carolina should have been ranked higher to begin with, in my opinion, they are at least a top 5 team (right now).

ND was doing well in the first half, I thought, but then they just fell off a cliff and let SCar run away with it.

I always felt like tOSU was kind of overrated but I didn’t expect them to lose in the fashion they did today.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Hidalgo had 17 points in the first half.... 14 points in the second half = 31 points.
So ... did they " slow" her down????

She had 13 in the first quarter and 6 in the last 2:39 when Notre Dame was down 30. In the 27:21 between that, she was held to 4-13 shooting and had 4 TOs. South Carolina significantly slowed her down and blew open the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ND looked slow and to me .. They are terrible on defense they had no answer for Cardosa. SC just bullied them .. The team they had on the court today is in no way a top 25 team imo

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow what a start for South Carolina. They looked incredibly sharp and played brilliant basketball. Yes, Notre Dame is not nearly as good as when they had Olivia Miles but South Carolina was brilliant. Going through the standouts (there are many):

1. Kamilla Cardoso is a force, plain and simple. She was unstoppable once they started looking for her in the 2nd half and was dominant defensively. If she can play like this consistently, she'll be a contender for NPOY. 20 points, 15 rebounds, 5 blocks in just 24 minutes.

2. Raven Johnson was brilliant running the show. Her shot looked better, she picked her moments well and was aggressive in looking for her bigs inside. Great passing and just a great job running the offense.

3. Pao Pao is a terrific fit for SC with her shooting and PG/playmaking skills too. There is far less pressure on her in Columbia than there was in Oregon, so I think she'll thrive in her role as a shooting guard.

4. Milaysia Fulwiley was the breakout star of the game. She looks like Kyrie Irving with her speed and athleticism. I'm not sure I've ever seen a guard with her explosiveness before in the women's game. She also seems like a mature player in her decision making and never forced the issue. 17 points, 6 assists, 6 steals, 1 TO. Jumpshot was a little wild but she's shot well in other games. She is going to be unbelievably fun to watch. As a freshman I wouldn't expect this type of showing each night but she is going to be a star and draw in a lot of fans. And I have no idea how she was ranked just the 13th best player coming out of HS.

5. Feagin/Watkins both looked excellent. Watkins is more of a defensive presence, Feagin is smooth around the rim. They combined for 19/9/4 blocks on 9-13 shooting. Can't ask for more from backup posts.

6. Jah looks like a prototypical SC player--good athlete, hard worker, will probably develop into a best of a defender for Dawn.

Overall this was as good offensively as I've ever seen SC play. Their defense and rebounding are not up to the level they were at a year ago but I think this team has title potential. Better balance with perimeter scorers, more creative passing and ultimately much better spacing for their bigs inside will make them tough to stop.

For Notre Dame:

1. Hidalgo was BY FAR their best player on the court tonight. She played great in the first quarter and was extremely active defensively. The offense slowed down and her productivity dropped as the night went on but a really promising showing for a freshman.

2. Westbeld had some nice moments in the game. Marshall also looked very good and had some nice face up shots.

Not a lot else to say on ND. They miss Miles but everyone else needs to step up. If Miles can come back this year they could be a dangerous squad, as a backcourt of her/Hidalgo/Citron has great potential.

Reaction Score
ND looked slow and to me .. They are terrible on defense they had no answer for Cardosa. SC just bullied them .. The team they had on the court today is in no way a top 25 team imo
Carolina is gonna make alot of teams look slow, Notre Dame is a very good team, Carolina just may be special!

Reaction Score
Carolina is gonna make alot of teams look slow, Notre Dame is a very good team, Carolina just may be special!
SC impressed me getting the ball down low at times but Dawn coaches the same offense throw up bricks and let the players clean it up .. they have zero outside threats .. they are big athletic but can’t shoot .. but it’s just one game they develop outside shooting.. than I would say they could be special .. disagree ND is not a very good team right now ..

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
SC was underrated in the pre-season polls.

ND was a 1 person show - Hidalgo. Surprised Ivey let this happen. If this continues, ND will be .500 at best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom