SC Dominates ND | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SC Dominates ND

Reaction Score
I commented earlier this summer when the preseason polls came out that South Carolina was really being underestimated......losing Boston was a blow but having Cardoso as a replacement seemed pretty impressive to me......add Kitts, Feagin and all of the highly ranked recruits still on the roster and SC has a very talented team that could compete with LSU or UConn...........
The way LSU plays defense SC should jock them by 30.

Reaction Score
Hidalgo had 17 points in the first half.... 14 points in the second half = 31 points.
So ... did they " slow" her down????
She had 15 in the first quarter and took 24 shots.

Reaction Score
She had 15 in the first quarter and took 24 shots.
None of the ND guards were willing to take shots or even make a move to get their defender off of them. Hidalgo definitely played some hero ball, but she was the only one that was fighting it seemed.

Reaction Score
I think its gonna be a tough year for ND and Ivey. The gamecocks are loaded and will be either number one or two in the rankings next week. Giving up a hundred is just unbelievable for ND. to me the surprise of the night was LSU getting spanked by the Buffalos. they looked unorganized and seemed to almost quit playing after they got down by 20 in the second half. Did not see alot of team chemistry like south carolina showed against ND. LSU and UT are gonna be hard pressed to compete with South Carolina if they continue to play like they did today.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The ND-SC game confirms my suspicions:
1) without Miles, ND is far from a major contender.
2) SC is still a dominating force.
3) Paopao is okay, but they could play well without her once Fulwiley gets her sealegs under her. Johnson is a steadying hand at pg.
4) They still don't have a solid perimeter game, which won't trouble them now, but in March it could be the same problem it was last season.
5) Kamila is going to have a great season.
6) Kitts will not see a ton of minutes this season -- compared to Watkins Feagin and Jah she looks slow and confused.
7) Hidalgo's size caused her a lot of problems -- passes in the lane that worked in HS don't work in D1 among taller opponents.

I also watched the tOSU-USC game and Juju Watkins is all that. Problem for USC is there isn't much else to the team beyond her. Whenever she wasn't on the floor, the tOSU press was very effective.
Hidalgo had 17 points in the first half.... 14 points in the second half = 31 points.
So ... did they " slow" her down????

The problem for tOSU is that McMahon was shut down by USC, including Juju, who is bigger and at least as fast and has great handles. If the rest of D1figures out how to shut down McMahon the way USC did, it will be a long season for tOSU.

The only downside of Juju's game is that she is foul prone.

Carolina has shooters on the perimeter now! You'll eat those words.

Reaction Score
I think its gonna be a tough year for ND and Ivey. The gamecocks are loaded and will be either number one or two in the rankings next week. Giving up a hundred is just unbelievable for ND. to me the surprise of the night was LSU getting spanked by the Buffalos. they looked unorganized and seemed to almost quit playing after they got down by 20 in the second half. Did not see alot of team chemistry like south carolina showed against ND. LSU and UT are gonna be hard pressed to compete with South Carolina if they continue to play like they did today.
ND will be fine. I still think that they're the most talented team in the ACC. They really do need Miles back tho.

Reaction Score
SC was underrated in the pre-season polls.

ND was a 1 person show - Hidalgo. Surprised Ivey let this happen. If this continues, ND will be .500 at best.
ND will be .500 at best? What a ludicrous thing to say. They're definitely one of the most talented teams in the country but are still missing their best player and ran into possibly the best team in the country today.

Reaction Score
ND will be fine. I still think that they're the most talented team in the ACC. They really do need Miles back tho.
I’m not seeing what you are seeing. They have a freshman point guard and citron. They have nothing in their front court and have a transfer from Fordham as a starter in their backcourt. Before the season I was scratching my head at the roster before todays game and now I feel as if my suspicions were confirmed.

Reaction Score
I know some here would like ND to be “that bad” and they clearly have some issues they need to work on but I think more than anything SC is THAT good. This game was a masterpiece from them.

They are clearly the best team along with UConn. Just wow. They are still loaded, still great at defense and Cardoso is unstoppable down low. Dawn hasn’t missed a beat. ND starting post couldn’t do a single thing with her at all.

Reaction Score
ND will figure it out. Today it seemed like it was 1vs5 most of the time with Hidalgo wanting to be the star. Once they start moving the ball, they’ll be dangerous. Like they always are

Reaction Score
I thought I heard the announcers say that Miles was cleared to practice. Did anyone else hear that?

Reaction Score
Hidalgo was impressive in many ways, but didn’t do a great job of getting others involved (only 3 assists). Seemed out of control at times. But for a first game… really good.

sun

Reaction Score
Niele Ivey said that 70% of SCar's points were scored inside the paint, & ND couldn't stop them from feeding the ball inside to Cardoso.
She also blamed ND's poor transition defense & some missed shots.
---->>>> SCar is on a collision course with UConn for the #1 ranking when the teams meet. <<<<----

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In my opinion, ND is that bad. No defense. I think SC will give us a fight until we take over and win going away. But, that score was unexpected, so I guess SC goes up a couple of ranks, based on they have shown that they do have some fight in them. But we have the defense to stop them.GO HUSKIES!!!!
I think UConn will give us a fight. They always seem to get up for our game, even when they seem overmatched, and this year will likely be no different. But I think our depth will wear them down again as we extend the streak to 4 on our home court.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
None of the ND guards were willing to take shots or even make a move to get their defender off of them. Hidalgo definitely played some hero ball, but she was the only one that was fighting it seemed.
Agree regarding Hidalgo. She looked for teammates early but they couldn’t score against SC’s bigs and at some point she sort of realized she was the best option which led to hero ball and some poor choices. She played hard the whole time and I think will prove to be a solid distributor, this was just a rough game for all of her teammates and this might be the worst blow out she’ll experience in her 4 years.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Carolina has shooters on the perimeter now! You'll eat those words.
:rolleyes:

This comment is completely false and reeks of haterism.
As our fine Wake Forest Carolinian pointed out Carolina, as in Tar Heels is North Carolina, South Carolina is SC. SC does NOT have shooters on the perimeter, they were 5 of 16 and Te-hina Paopao was 2-4 so that means the rest of the SC players were 3 of 12. That is not haterism. Let me use one of my favorite calming lines of all-time that hints of shade and let me say "Lighten up Francis".

Also, as good as Hildalgo may be, she was still a questionable 10 of 24 with 3 for 6 from 3 point range so that means 7 for 18 for inside the arc which is NOT good. Miles is the engine who makes everyone better on this team so when she returns ND will be significantly better. That said, Maddie Westbeld seems to have drastically regressed after her stellar freshman year as today she was 5 for 14 with 5 rebounds. If ND really wants to contend in the ACC, she needs to step up.

Last, @Gamecockfan77 needs to chill as SC was ranked 6th so what slight exactly did everyone purport against the Gamecocks? LSU, UConn and Iowa were clearly better on paper as they had significant starters returning so are you upset that Utah and UCLA are ranked ahead of you in the preseason? Trust me, NO ONE is slighting SC and will expect them to win one of the two SEC Titles and have a deep run in the NCAAT if they can find others to hit perimeter shots.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Just because SC went 5-16 (in one game) does not mean they don't have "Shooters" on the perimeter. Fulwiley and Bree Hall went a combined 2-8; and especially with Fulwiley, I expect her to much better than a 25% 3-pt shooter.

The thing with SC is they don't need to be amazing from 3-pt range; they just need to be competent and willing to take those shots. Given their size and ability to get to the lane (Which I think is actually much better this year compared to previous year), that should be enough.

Reaction Score

I think Notre Dame will be fine.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
As our fine Wake Forest Carolinian pointed out Carolina, as in Tar Heels is North Carolina, South Carolina is SC. SC does NOT have shooters on the perimeter, they were 5 of 16 and Te-hina Paopao was 2-4 so that means the rest of the SC players were 3 of 12. That is not haterism. Let me use one of my favorite calming lines of all-time that hints of shade and let me say "Lighten up Francis".

Also, as good as Hildalgo may be, she was still a questionable 10 of 24 with 3 for 6 from 3 point range so that means 7 for 18 for inside the arc which is NOT good. Miles is the engine who makes everyone better on this team so when she returns ND will be significantly better. That said, Maddie Westbeld seems to have drastically regressed after her stellar freshman year as today she was 5 for 14 with 5 rebounds. If ND really wants to contend in the ACC, she needs to step up.

Last, @Gamecockfan77 needs to chill as SC was ranked 6th so what slight exactly did everyone purport against the Gamecocks? LSU, UConn and Iowa were clearly better on paper as they had significant starters returning so are you upset that Utah and UCLA are ranked ahead of you in the preseason? Trust me, NO ONE is slighting SC and will expect them to win one of the two SEC Titles and have a deep run in the NCAAT if they can find others to hit perimeter shots.
If you are going to argue "on paper" then South Carolina was vastly underrated because their players were ranked much higher than Iowa, Utah and UCLA....so your "on paper" argument is very wrong. Try again....

Reaction Score

NC is just the bits that SC and VA didn't want.

ESPN had us eighth I believe, which was ludicrous.

Team rightly should have a chip on its shoulder. The polls won't be wrong for long though.

Reaction Score
Agree regarding Hidalgo. She looked for teammates early but they couldn’t score against SC’s bigs and at some point she sort of realized she was the best option which led to hero ball and some poor choices. She played hard the whole time and I think will prove to be a solid distributor, this was just a rough game for all of her teammates and this might be the worst blow out she’ll experience in her 4 years.
I doubt it will even be their worst loss of the season tbh. They lost Ebo, Mabrey and Miles (for the forseeable future) and only have an undersized freshman PG to backfill. Its going to be a rough year in South Bend, at least until Miles returns.

Reaction Score

On paper 9 of SC 11 players are McDonald's All Americans. More than LSU and Iowa combined. LSU and Iowa might have a little more game experience but on paper SC is more talented.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
SC impressed me getting the ball down low at times but Dawn coaches the same offense throw up bricks and let the boys clean it up .. they have zero outside threats .. they are big athletic but can’t shoot .. but it’s just one game they develop outside shooting.. than I would say they could be special .. disagree ND is not a very good team right now ..
Did you even watch the game? They had 29 assists and were knocking down all of their perimeter shots early which opened up the paint for Cardoso once ND switched to man to man coverage. Great ball movement, and decision making all around. Last year SC was the team that would slowly wear you out over the course of a game with their physicality, this team just blew Notre Dame out of the water in the 2nd and 3rd quarter in a similar fashion to many of the great UCONN teams when they had Maya or Stewart.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom