SC does not stand come out of the locker room for the National Anthem | The Boneyard

SC does not stand come out of the locker room for the National Anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This thread is probably going to be locked quickly. But FWIW... I understand what they are doing and why they are doing it. BUT if you are going to "protest", then you need to make a big deal out of it all the time. IF her team is still going to kneel for the national anthem, or not come out for the playing of it, then it should be discussed by her in every press conference.

That is the point of a protest. To discuss it and have conversations about it. To do it silently and not discuss it at the pressers becomes just doing it for show and not to actively promote discussion over an issue they feel strongly about. I'm not sure if it was discussed or not - probably it was in the post game presser.

I know there will be no agreement on this, but there was a great speech from The American President - a movie that starred Annette Benning, Michael Douglas and Richard Dreyfus. In part, Michael Douglas, The President, says...

"America isn’t easy. America is advanced citizenship. You’ve gotta want it bad, ’cause it’s gonna put up a fight. It’s gonna say, “You want free speech? Let’s see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who’s standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours.” You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then you can stand up and sing about the land of the free."

Reaction Score
This story has been debunked ad nauseam. I would recommend listening to what Dawn actually had to say about the situation. This article you cited also doesn’t paint the Huskies in a great light either: “But Twitter users who announced they were rooting for UConn thanks to the Gamecocks anthem protest might be in for a disappointment since it appears the Huskies are also big on sitting out the tribute to the country that makes their sport, their schools, their whole lifestyle possible.”

Reaction Score

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
This has already been adressed elsewhere. Frequently teams have rituals and routines before a game starts and it doesn't always coincide with the times the arena production people schedule the anthem. It you want to complain , complain about the lack of coordination between the NCAA production crew and the individual teams. Staley has stated there is no "protest" or ulterior motive other than sticking with their routine. I attended hundreds of games at Gampel and there were numerous times when the opposing team had a routine that didn't coincide with the playing of the anthem and they were in the locker room. I never heard anyone complain about it once. In todays world it's a federal case for some people. Give it a rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom