SB Nation: How the Game Can Be Rescheduled | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SB Nation: How the Game Can Be Rescheduled

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's MLS soccer for the love of Jesus. Clowns would rather spend a Saturday afternoon watching communist kickball than UConn football. Nothing screams big time quite like that.
Cancelling the game would be the small time move.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The funny thing about this situation is that Rentschler is a large upgrade from NYCFC's normal situation. They play in a friggin baseball outfield normally! It's much smaller than a regulation field, and I'm sure the players are excited to play on a regular size pitch for once as a home game.

So what's my solution?

Send them to Dunkin Donuts Park with the Yard Goats... ah, just like home! :D

Reaction Score
Play the MLS game in New Britain at Veterans stadium. It is our field, they move.
If people bought tickets for MLS then what? Anyway probably we will have more Red Bull fans in the seats than a typical UCONN Saturday. I watch the Red Bulls a lot and the have a big following. Lot's of soccer fans in CT.

Reaction Score
Cancelling the game would be the small time move.
It's a national soccer league where they pay the players $$millions and have huge TV contracts as compared to AACfootball. Guess what's more important??

Reaction Score
Who's gonna pay for their buyout? It's September and we still don't have a state budget.

Offset it with the money the USF game would bring in. Even if the state takes a minor hit in the deal, they should put UConn football over some dopey team from NY from a dopey league playing a dopey sport. Nothing is big time about soccer in the US. Especially the MLS.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Offset it with the money the USF game would bring in. Even if the state takes a minor hit in the deal, they should put UConn football over some dopey team from NY from a dopey league playing a dopey sport. Nothing is big time about soccer in the US. Especially the MLS.

How do you offset the fact that The Rent would be blackballed from ever getting another decent event in there?

Reaction Score
How do you offset the fact that The Rent would be blackballed from ever getting another decent event in there?

LOL please. If the soccer community blackballed the Rent over this I'd support the move even more. But I think this is a tad overdramatic. You want your soccer more than UConn football. We get it.

Reaction Score
LOL please. If the soccer community blackballed the Rent over this I'd support the move even more. But I think this is a tad overdramatic. You want your soccer more than UConn football. We get it.
AAC no clout compared to MLS. If it was Alabama or Ohio State maybe.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For the record, I've been to every UConn FB game in The Rent. As far as I can tell, no one else on the Boneyard can say that. And I've stayed to the end of every game over the last 6 wonderful seasons but one (left 5 minutes early from the last USF game). I know nobody else can claim that. I walk the walk others only talk.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
For the record, I've been to every UConn FB game in The Rent. As far as I can tell, no one else on the Boneyard can say that. And I've stayed to the end of every game over the last 6 wonderful seasons but one (left 5 minutes early from the last USF game). I know nobody else can claim that. I walk the walk others only talk.

If true, does this mean your opinion matters more or something?

Reaction Score
I did until I moved last year. I remember the Memphis game in December when Weist coached. you and I were probably the only one's left.

Reaction Score
You'd think you could move the game to a Friday night and retain the MLS game the next day. I wouldn't necessarily want to burn the MLS bridge at this point. CT actually has great TV ratings for soccer viewing and I know there is some potential long-term interest to bring a soccer team here.

I still don't know why Jimmy thinks anyone cares about his opinion on soccer.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
What do you mean "if true"?

That you are in the genius book of world records as the only member of the Boneyard to attend every UConn FB game at the Rent.

That you are in the genius book of world records as the only person to stay to the end of every game over the last 6 wonderful seasons but one (left 5 minutes early from the last USF game) - as you state no one else can claim that.

Back to my question, which I asked first, does your opinion matter more than others because of your fandom, that no one esle can come close to?

Reaction Score

You might not like soccer (I'm not sure if I do even though my kids play it), however this one MLS game could be a toe in the door for future professional sports in CT. If people represent for this MLS game (and I'm pretty sure they will) then MLS can't help but notice. Get a future MLS team in here, then we can start honestly talking about NHL, etc, etc, etc.

edit: not to mention that The Rent is being leveraged beyond just UConn Football. A second tenant, or regular alternative events, is a good thing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You have to love this level of anger over -- nothing more than bad luck.

Yes, someone in the state should have turned down money for the state because a hurricane in Florida might force the cancellation of the game in Connecticut and 4 teams may shift their schedule to allow the game to be rescheduled. Whoever turned down that money under those circumstances should have been fired. And none of us have a clue what the contract says about the state's right and ability to breach. For all you know the contract may be specifically enforceable, or there may be a monetary penalty for the state breaching it.

Crap happens. The inability of some of you to live with it without needing to find someone to blame is astounding.

If everyone can make it work, we play the game Friday night or Sunday at noon. If no one comes, no one comes. But the players get their 12th game and the conference doesn't have a less than legitimate champion who played a different number of games.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That you are in the genius book of world records as the only member of the Boneyard to attend every UConn FB game at the Rent.

That you are in the genius book of world records as the only person to stay to the end of every game over the last 6 wonderful seasons but one (left 5 minutes early from the last USF game) - as you state no one else can claim that.

Back to my question, which I asked first, does your opinion matter more than others because of your fandom, that no one esle can come close to?

Of course my fandom in and of itself does not make my opinion matter more than others.

You ducked my question. Words matter. What did you mean by "if true"?

Reaction Score
Does anyone have a better rescheduling idea than this?:

UConn v ECU -> Week 4
USF v Houston -> Week 11
ECU v Houston -> Week 10
UCF v ECU -> Week 9
UCF v SMU -> Week 7
Memphis v Tulsa -> Week 11

It's sort of a lot of moves but if they want to get the game in I couldn't think of a better way. Sets up UConn v USF and Memphis v UCF on Week 10

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Of course my fandom in and of itself does not make my opinion matter more than others.

I just explained it. Wow!

I'll take baby steps with you - you made a claim that can't be proved.

Reaction Score
I just explained it. Wow!

I'll take baby steps with you - you made a claim that can't be proved.

If you want to tell him "You can't prove you are not lying so I am going to hold open the possibility that you are a liar", at least have the guts to say it to him instead of this pussyfooting around.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
If you want to tell him "You can't prove you are not lying so I am going to hold open the possibility that you are a liar", at least have the guts to say it to him instead of this pussyfooting around.

You can't prove you are not lying so I am going to hold open the possibility that you are a liar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom