Saylor Poffenbarger, Live and In Person | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Saylor Poffenbarger, Live and In Person

Reaction Score
A couple of more observations from the Middletown vs. Oakdale game that MilfordHusky and I attended:

• Saylor is an adept ball handler. While not to be confused with Paige, she is much more skilled and fluid than Katie Lou and has very strong passing skills. She was a PG until she grew five (5) inches prior to getting to High School.
  • She runs the floor exceptionally well and can take an opponent off the dribble to the rim or pull up for a jumper. I expect her to be very good in the transition game at the next level.
  • With more skilled teammates at the next level, she should generate a high number of assists.
  • She can post-up opponents and is strong enough to finish through contact and make the layup. She is also a lethal foul shooter.
  • While the mechanics on her foul shots are terrific, her form on her jump shot needs to continue to evolve to be more consistent.
  • I am 6’ 4” and stood next to Saylor before taking MilfordHusky’s picture with her. She is every bit 6’ 2”.
  • Her transition to Storrs [from an environmental perspective] should be rather seamless. Middletown is a rural part of Frederick, MD and I saw more cows than people and Main Street reminded me of Mayberry from the Andy Griffth Show complete with a barbershop and ice cream parlor.
Finally, I am not sure I understand the sympathy that MilfordHusky has garnered regarding his commute to the game. As the person on the other end waiting for him to arrive – he should have left earlier – there is always traffic in Washington, DC and the surrounding suburbs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My sister lived in southern Fairfax County, about 30-35 miles from me in surburban Maryland. Her husband was career military, and when he said he’d be to my place at 6, he damn well meant 6:00:00. I have no idea how he did it, but for 20 years, I could set my watch by their arrival. But maybe 10 years ago, he started missing, and I could tell how pissed he was about it.

Kudos to you, Mil, for having the stomach to cross the Potomac in the late afternoon.
Did he have access to a military helicopter?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A couple of more observations from the Middletown vs. Oakdale game that MilfordHusky and I attended:

• Saylor is an adept ball handler. While not to be confused with Paige, she is much more skilled and fluid than Katie Lou and has very strong passing skills. She was a PG until she grew five (5) inches prior to getting to High School.
  • She runs the floor exceptionally well and can take an opponent off the dribble to the rim or pull up for a jumper. I expect her to be very good in the transition game at the next level.
  • With more skilled teammates at the next level, she should generate a high number of assists.
  • She can post-up opponents and is strong enough to finish through contact and make the layup. She is also a lethal foul shooter.
  • While the mechanics on her foul shots are terrific, her form on her jump shot needs to continue to evolve to be more consistent.
  • I am 6’ 4” and stood next to Saylor before taking MilfordHusky’s picture with her. She is every bit 6’ 2”.
  • Her transition to Storrs [from an environmental perspective] should be rather seamless. Middletown is a rural part of Frederick, MD and I saw more cows than people and Main Street reminded me of Mayberry from the Andy Griffth Show complete with a barbershop and ice cream parlor.
Finally, I am not sure I understand the sympathy that MilfordHusky has garnered regarding his commute to the game. As the person on the other end waiting for him to arrive – he should have left earlier – there is always traffic in Washington, DC and the surrounding suburbs.
Thanks for the supplemental report and for waiting. I totally agree with your thoughts about me getting sympathy. You are sitting at the restaurant starving and you keep getting texts saying I'll be later and later. Next season, I'll go to Frederick for lunch and just hang around until game time. :)

In terms of Saylor's skills--note her stat line tonight was 32/11/6/10/3--she does just about everything well.

I had not heard about Saylor's experience at PG and subsequent growth spurt. That's the A'ja Wilson story. It worked out pretty well for her.

I think Saylor will do well at all things, but she seems made for transition, whether it's grabbing a rebound, making a 50' pass, or finishing. I also think she'll be a nightmare in a press. Her anticipation, quickness, and length make her a very effective ballhawk.

Yes, her FT shooting looked pretty much textbook. I expect that she'll shoot 85% at the line.

I think Saylor will love the UConn Dairy Bar!! In the meantime, now that I know how to get to Middletown and how many days it takes to get there, I'm down for several games next season. I like how well the team is coached--kudos to Amy--and love watching Saylor's instinctual play.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For those not reading the recruit thread. Though with nothing else going on, why wouldn't you?

Equally impressive as the range is the incredibly efficient use of the dribble to create space for the shot. On all those shots the defender is not in bad position when Saylor catches the ball. By the time Saylor releases the shot the defender is not even in position to contest the shot. With her size that shot will be unguardable like James Harden is doing in the NBA. I can't stand James Harden though!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
EDD put together a tutorial on this.

Interesting. I don't remember seeing Della Donne use that move but obviously she has. Hers is a true step-back though whereas Saylor jumps whole body. Hopefully, she won't need to create space 1-on-1 that much at UConn. I can't imagine it's the most efficient shot.

Reaction Score
Equally impressive as the range is the incredibly efficient use of the dribble to create space for the shot. On all those shots the defender is not in bad position when Saylor catches the ball. By the time Saylor releases the shot the defender is not even in position to contest the shot. With her size that shot will be unguardable like James Harden is doing in the NBA. I can't stand James Harden though!
It takes a lot of core and leg strength as well. It can work well in traffic inside the arc too. And I can’t stand the flopper either!

Reaction Score
Let me start by saying I love KLS but it looks like Saylor watched a lot of KLS tape and said I am definately going to be able to create my own shot so I can be better..... As much as I think KLS espanded her game over 4 years, she never was able to create her own shot and was too easily bothered by guards who would muscle her. Looks like Saylor won't have that problem.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Let me start by saying I love KLS but it looks like Saylor watched a lot of KLS tape and said I am definately going to be able to create my own shot so I can be better..... As much as I think KLS espanded her game over 4 years, she never was able to create her own shot and was too easily bothered by guards who would muscle her. Looks like Saylor won't have that problem.
Saylor is 1' shorter than Lou, but stronger. She's not quite the shooter Lou is, but she's more versatile at a comparable age.

Reaction Score

I went and looked at Lou's HS senior tape and she looked as good, if not better than Saylor who is going to be one of my favorite Uconn players when she arrives.

Reaction Score
Definitely a superior athlete versus KLS. I believe that she will rebound immediately as well as contribute offensively.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
There are some similarities with KLS but Lou was the much better shooter. Of course, Lou was much better than just about everyone. Saylor really likes to dribble drive and move without the ball, plus she's an excellent passer. High basketball IQ and versatile game will make her productive even if her shot is off.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
There are some similarities with KLS but Lou was the much better shooter. Of course, Lou was much better than just about everyone. Saylor really likes to dribble drive and move without the ball, plus she's an excellent passer. High basketball IQ and versatile game will make her productive even if her shot is off.
Thanks for the video of her shooting, do you have any of her drives to the hoop or an elbow jumper? Just curious, after you've whetted our appetite.. :)

Reaction Score
Debuted in 1976. USA had Ann Meyers, Nancy Leiberman and one Ms Patricia Head. They got Silver.
It was after the 200 meters final (Tommie Smith won the gold, John Carlos, the bronze) that Smith and Carlos did the black power salute.... ")

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Thanks for the video of her shooting, do you have any of her drives to the hoop or an elbow jumper? Just curious, after you've whetted our appetite.. :)

Only separate videos I've put in the recruit thread. No other montages save for one from AAU which has been posted a couple times.

Reaction Score
There are some similarities with KLS but Lou was the much better shooter.

Saylor I'm hoping has a better mid range game. With her ability to move, she may get plenty of 12' to 16' opportunities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom