Saylor Poffenbarger, Live and In Person | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Saylor Poffenbarger, Live and In Person

Reaction Score
Do you think Muffett would hire Tim Fudd if it meant getting Azzi Fudd?
I think McGraw would do almost everything to get Fudd to commit to ND. She needs a big time recruit to bring credibility to her program.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Great report. I can't reach back farther than a few years for a comparison but it sounded like you were describing a rebounding Lou.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Road Warrior and I trekked out to Middletown to see the Knights play against Oakdale for the sectional championship. Middletown just had too much Saylor for Oakdale and won by 60-39, gradually pulling away.

I believe Saylor had 26 points. She made 3 three-pointers in about 5 or 6 attempts. She also had a few layups and buckets underneath. I believe her FT shooting was about 7-7. I'm guessing at her other stats, but 10-12 rebounds, 4-5 blocks, 6-8 assists, and 4-5 steals sound about right. She was pretty much everywhere and did everything.

A few highlights:

Saylor grabbed the first 2 defensive rebounds, and it looked as if she would get one per possession. The last time I saw her, she had 2 steals in the first 2 possessions. Talk about starting strong!

She made 2 step-back 3-pointers in the first quarter, as well as an old-fashioned 3-point play. I think she had 3 or 4 and-ones for the game (she made all her FTs).

She made a pass into the post, immediately got a return pass, and swished a shot from 22 feet. Smoooooth!

She made a steal out on the right wing, did a behind-the-back dribble to keep the ball in bounds, and then went streaking down the floor for a layup--looking very much like Moriah Jefferson at 6'2".

On a defensive possession, she anticipated a pass, jumped with both arms outstretched, and got the steal. I think she caught the ball with her forearms.

On a couple of occasions, she took the defensive rebound and went coast to coast for a layup or and-one.

It's a real pleasure to watch her play and display her versatility.

Speaking of pleasure, we stuck around to see the championship celebration and photos. Then we noticed that Jamelle was there. She saw my UConn sweatshirt and walked over toward me. We chatted for a couple of minutes, discussing Saylor, Mir, and the Huskies team. Before we left, I asked Saylor for a photo op, and she very politely obliged. The angle of the pic suggests that Saylor may be close to my height, but trust me--she's a legit 6'2". I even asked her.

Middletown continues their path toward the state championship game. I'll miss their next game, because I'll be at the Mohegan Sun. If they are still playing when I get home, I'll go see them again. If not, I'll see her several times next season. Both Saylor and her mother/coach were extremely pleasant.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
imagejpeg_0.jpg

Reaction Score
Road Warrior and I trekked out to Middletown to see the Knights play against Oakdale for the sectional championship. Middletown just had too much Saylor for Oakdale and won by 60-39, gradually pulling away.

I believe Saylor had 26 points. She made 3 three-pointers in about 5 or 6 attempts. She also had a few layups and buckets underneath. I believe her FT shooting was about 7-7. I'm guessing at her other stats, but 10-12 rebounds, 4-5 blocks, 6-8 assists, and 4-5 steals sound about right. She was pretty much everywhere and did everything.

A few highlights:

Saylor grabbed the first 2 defensive rebounds, and it looked as if she would get one per possession. The last time I saw her, she had 2 steals in the first 2 possessions. Talk about starting strong!

She made 2 step-back 3-pointers in the first quarter, as well as an old-fashioned 3-point play. I think she had 3 or 4 and-ones for the game (she made all her FTs).

She made a pass into the post, immediately got a return pass, and swished a shot from 22 feet. Smoooooth!

She made a steal out on the right wing, did a behind-the-back dribble to keep the ball in bounds, and then went streaking down the floor for a layup--looking very much like Moriah Jefferson at 6'2".

On a defensive possession, she anticipated a pass, jumped with both arms outstretched, and got the steal. I think she caught the ball with her forearms.

On a couple of occasions, she took the defensive rebound and went coast to coast for a layup or and-one.

It's a real pleasure to watch her play and display her versatility.

Speaking of pleasure, we stuck around to see the championship celebration and photos. Then we noticed that Jamelle was there. She saw my UConn sweatshirt and walked over toward me. We chatted for a couple of minutes, discussing Saylor, Mir, and the Huskies team. Before we left, I asked Saylor for a photo op, and she very politely obliged. The angle of the pic suggests that Saylor may be close to my height, but trust me--she's a legit 6'2". I even asked her.

Middletown continues their path toward the state championship game. I'll miss their next game, because I'll be at the Mohegan Sun. If they are still playing when I get home, I'll go see them again. If not, I'll see her several times next season. Both Saylor and her mother/coach were extremely pleasant.
Very envious of your Saylor/Jamelle night out! But, my friend, you need to get your eyes checked. The angle of your pic suggests that Saylor is leaning way down trying to get toward your level, and she is still a solid 3" taller than you. :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Very envious of your Saylor/Jamelle night out! But, my friend, you need to get your eyes checked. The angle of your pic suggests that Saylor is leaning way down trying to get toward your level, and she is still a solid 3" taller than you. :cool:
The reality is that she is 5" taller than I am. Because she is leaning, it looks like 3-4".

More details from the Frederick paper:

"Saylor Poffenbarger, who finished with 27 points, 10 rebounds, six assists and six blocked shots, picked up her fourth foul with 5 minutes, 30 seconds left and sat out much of the fourth quarter." I think she missed 2 minutes of 3Q and about 4 minutes of 4Q.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Thanks for the report. I know the DC traffic too well to understand what you went through to get there!
Heck DC traffic was pure H when I was stationed there 79 - 84, hate to see what it's like now.Head bang

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Oh he has the jet. Tenerife, Maui, Rio, Maui..... What he really needs for the DC traffic is a helicopter, but that's sort of a touchy subject right now, ahem...
I couldn’t get lodging in Rio for the Olympics, but I did go to London, Sydney, and Atlanta. I was in Cancun yesterday. :)

Reaction Score
I couldn’t get lodging in Rio for the Olympics, but I did go to London, Sydney, and Atlanta. I was in Cancun yesterday. :)
I could have hooked you up with a place to stay - I got peeps in Rio.

But your Olympic experience humbles me. My first and only Olympics was 1968 in Mexico City. I was just a kid, but already studying Spanish, and my Dad was a track guy (4-year letterman at UNC Chapel Hill) so he was into it. That was before TV controlled the schedule, so they had all the track finals on the same day - Jim Fosbury, Jim Ryan, John Carlos and Tommie Smith with the Black Power salute after the 4X100, etc, etc, etc. (Don't remember any WBB, though)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It took me 2:10 to get there and 1:10 to get back. It was about 60 miles.h,
My sister lived in southern Fairfax County, about 30-35 miles from me in surburban Maryland. Her husband was career military, and when he said he’d be to my place at 6, he damn well meant 6:00:00. I have no idea how he did it, but for 20 years, I could set my watch by their arrival. But maybe 10 years ago, he started missing, and I could tell how pissed he was about it.

Kudos to you, Mil, for having the stomach to cross the Potomac in the late afternoon.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Oh he has the jet. Tenerife, Maui, Rio, Maui..... What he really needs for the DC traffic is a helicopter, but that's sort of a touchy subject right now, ahem...

Geez, I must have just missed him. I’m on the big island now.:cool:

The woman who gave us a ride to the airport was encouraging us to take a helicopter tour. I didn’t smite her, but my wife did have a giggle and told her I have acrophobia and I added that I would never get into a non-fixed-wing aircraft.

Reaction Score
Geez, I must have just missed him. I’m on the big island now.:cool:

The woman who gave us a ride to the airport was encouraging us to take a helicopter tour. I didn’t smite her, but my wife did have a giggle and told her I have acrophobia and I added that I would never get into a non-fixed-wing aircraft.
I'm going to the big island in April (Kona diving). No aversion to helicopters, but the helo tours there are twice as expensive as everywhere else (like Oahu). $900 (per person, 4 minimum) for lava viewing (there's no lava right now anyway), $1000 for zip line and swim, etc.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm going to the big island in April (Kona diving). I have no aversion to helicopters, but the helo tours there are twice as expensive as everywhere else (like Oahu). $900 (per person, 4 min) for lava viewing (there's no lava right now anyway), $1000 for zip line and swim, etc.

Yeah, but lodging is a whole lot less expensive, and most of the stuff we like to do is free. Kauai next week is a different story, but SOOOO gorgeous.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I could have hooked you up with a place to stay - I got peeps in Rio.

But your Olympic experience humbles me. My first and only Olympics was 1968 in Mexico City. I was just a kid, but already studying Spanish, and my Dad was a track guy (4-year letterman at UNC Chapel Hill) so he was into it. That was before TV controlled the schedule, so they had all the track finals on the same day - Jim Fosbury, Jim Ryan, John Carlos and Tommie Smith with the Black Power salute after the 4X100, etc, etc, etc. (Don't remember any WBB, though)
Debuted in 1976. USA had Ann Meyers, Nancy Leiberman and one Ms Patricia Head. They got Silver.

Reaction Score
The 2:10 up and 1:10 back to Middletown sounds about right. My son is at George Mason in Fairfax and the trip to their from Baltimore takes about 2:30 between 8 am to 6 pm. Doesn't seem to matter if it a week day or weekend. If you go earlier or after 6pm the trip takes 1:30. (My son has done it in about an hour and 10 minutes - don't want to know but I told him he is responsible for any speeding tickets he gets).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom