Saturday games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Saturday games

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
One of the wildest 4th quarters I've seen this season. Buffalo had a possession and chance to tie with a 3, but CMU comes up with a great hustle steal to preserve the win, 100-95.

CMU ultimately won the game from the FT line: an amazing 29 of 31 (93.5%).
Hudson finishes with 28 points and 7 assists, and a perfect 10-10 from the FT line.
Frost picks up 23 points and 14 rebounds. Ho hum just another double-double for her.

Dillard for Buffalo finishes with 29 pts, 9 rebs, 7 assists. She was ice cold in the 1st half but virtually unstoppable when Buffalo was making their 2nd half run. Hemphill added 21 points and 9 rebounds for Buffalo.

Reaction Score
These are the teams that make the NCAA Tournament loads of fun to watch.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
One of the wildest 4th quarters I've seen this season. Buffalo had a possession and chance to tie with a 3, but CMU comes up with a great hustle steal to preserve the win, 100-95.

CMU ultimately won the game from the FT line: an amazing 29 of 31 (93.5%).
Hudson finishes with 28 points and 7 assists, and a perfect 10-10 from the FT line.
Frost picks up 23 points and 14 rebounds. Ho hum just another double-double for her.

Dillard for Buffalo finishes with 29 pts, 9 rebs, 7 assists. She was ice cold in the 1st half but virtually unstoppable when Buffalo was making their 2nd half run. Hemphill added 21 points and 9 rebounds for Buffalo.

Dillard also added 7 steals.... If only she would have hit her free throws 11-18.

Seemed like a lively crowd.... looked up the attendance. 3,369 with the arena capacity of 6,783. Thats pretty good.

Plebe

Reaction Score
That MAC tourney is gonna be something to see. Unforunately the championship game will be aired on CBS Sports Network Head bang
Unfortunate indeed. Last year I remember it was on ESPN (maybe 3?).

This year there are several team with a legitimate shot at the MAC title, not a 2-horse race like it was last year.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Gonzaga is hosting BYU now, seeking revenge for the loss at Provo a few weeks ago.

Streaming live online:
West Coast Conference Official Athletic Site

BYU is off to a hot start, up 11-2 in the opening minutes.
Gonzaga absolutely must win this game if they want to host the first 2 rounds.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
BYU just kept hitting 3's, 10-15 at halftime. GU had whittled an 11 point lead down to 3, but BYU pushed it back to 7 at the midway point.

Plebe

Reaction Score
BYU just kept hitting 3's, 10-15 at halftime. GU had whittled an 11 point lead down to 3, but BYU pushed it back to 7 at the midway point.
Wow 10 of 15 in just a half, that is insanely hot shooting from 3. That’s like Syracuse on their best day of the season. Yikes.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
GU had a chance to tie or take the lead a couple possessions ago, but BYU pushes the lead back out to 7 at the end of Q3. It seems like GU is the better team, but BYU just keeps getting timely buckets to maintain a lead.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
BYU just keeps on hitting clutch shots, every time they've really needed one, they get it. Gritty performance. 62-56 w/ about 6 1/2 minutes left. Broadcaster said the game was tied for 24 seconds (early on), GU has never led.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
BYU kinda falling apart last 3 minutes or so. Tied up, under a minute left.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
A whole bunch of turnovers for BYU. GU getting some serious home cooking though. They have the ball, still tied, about 20 seconds left. Called a timeout.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Shot clock violation, BYU ball w/ 2.5 seconds left. I think we're going OT. GU still has never led.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wow, GU fouled on the inbound, BYU hit both FTs for the win. Killer loss for GU.

Plebe

Reaction Score
That's brutal. I'm not generally a fan of BYU and I don't want them to make the tournament. But this will probably get them in despite their recent 3-loss skid.

Edit: Not does this get probably guarantee BYU a bid, but it'll almost certainly prevent Gonzaga from hosting. Bummer.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That's brutal. I'm not generally a fan of BYU and I don't want them to make the tournament. But this will probably get them in despite their recent 3-loss skid.

Edit: Not does this get probably guarantee BYU a bid, but it'll almost certainly prevent Gonzaga from hosting. Bummer.

GU also could've virtually wrapped up the regular season crown today. Now BYU is only 1/2 game behind them and holds the tie breaker.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I would seek @Plebe perspective on this given my initial view that I am not convinced Joanna Bernabei-McNamee is such a great coach. To wit, After Coach Abe left Albany to lead UCF, JBM took over a pretty talented team and won the next two conference titles, which then garnered her the BC job. However the Albany cupboard appears completely bare and BC is not showing signs of any improvement since the beginning of the year. I haven’t researched their roster enough to know how bare it was when JBM took over. I do have grave concerns whether JBM can recruit any talent so this could be just another BC team overmatched in the ACC. Thoughts?
I don't know much about JBM or her recruiting prowess. Much like Butler's situation at Clemson, the cupboard at BC definitely wasn't bare. Most of their starters and point production are back from last season. But last season they were just so dreadful: 7-23 overall, 2-14 in the ACC, #191 in Massey. They're nowhere near as good as Clemson this year, but they are improved: 14-12 overall, 3-10 in the ACC, #88 in Massey.

The 3-10 conference record looks bad but I'd say their only "bad" conference loss so far has been an overtime loss at Virginia. They also drew a tough straw in the ACC's unbalanced schedule: the two teams they have to play twice are Notre Dame and Syracuse.

Reaction Score
If Clemson gets to 11-5.... Butler will be COY without a doubt. They probably havent won 11 conference games combined the past 4 years. Im willing to bet they lose 2 of their final 3 games though.

I would agree that she _should_, but NCS got all the early attention following the undefeated start ... folks may have made up their mind weeks ago.

Clem's last 3 are GT, VaT, Duke -- 3 of the bottom 5 teams in the conference. If a team that won @Mia and @FSU can't go at least 2-1 against those 3 ...

Reaction Score
If Zags are out of top 16, wonder who breaks in.
Creme's rankings would indicate Syracuse (a 5th ACC team), then TAMU, Fla St, Ariz St.

Tho Cuse and FSU has both lost since Creme's last rankings.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Thanks, as Plebe has said, the cupboard wasn't bare but I will with-hold further judgement until the 2020-21 season when her lack of recruiting and dreadful OOC and Conf win totals come home to roost. :rolleyes:

Plebe

Reaction Score
If Zags are out of top 16, wonder who breaks in.
Creme's rankings would indicate Syracuse (a 5th ACC team), then TAMU, Fla St, Ariz St.

Tho Cuse and FSU has both lost since Creme's last rankings.
Creme tweeted after they lost to NC State that it would be very hard now for Syracuse to break into the top 16. But they're getting a big opportunity when they host ND on Feb. 25. They also travel to FSU after that.

All of those teams in the 12-20 range are so tightly bunched that pretty much any of them can elevate with a quality win or two—except for Gonzaga, who simply won't have that chance.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
An upset in the Big South. The Buccaneers of Charleston Southern beat the Pirates of Hampton.. in Hampton 72-57. Pirate on Pirate crime :eek: Drops the HU Pirates to 9-3 in the conference and a tie for 2nd with HPU.

My Aggies of NCA&T remain undefeated in the MEAC with a road victory at Howard.

I would agree that she _should_, but NCS got all the early attention following the undefeated start ... folks may have made up their mind weeks ago.

Clem's last 3 are GT, VaT, Duke -- 3 of the bottom 5 teams in the conference. If a team that won @Mia and @FSU can't go at least 2-1 against those 3 ...

GaTech is gonna give Clemson all they can handle in Atlanta. Duke has defeated Clemson 22 straight times. VPI is capable....they are probably the best 11st place in a conference team in the country.

Plebe

Reaction Score

In fairness to Georgia Tech, they are #9 currently (bottom 7).

Despite the conference records, I don't see Clemson as a clear favorite in any of those games (except maybe the injury-ravaged Duke). If GT can beat Syracuse at home, no reason they can't beat Clemson at home as well. Virginia Tech has lost a lot of close games and their schedule was very front-loaded. Even the Duke game, at Cameron Indoor, is no gimme.

Reaction Score
Chloe Jackson has outscored the entire OU team 20-16 after the first half

Moon ursin with a sick block to end the half

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44