Sats, enrollment up for class of 2017 | The Boneyard

Sats, enrollment up for class of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I was on campus a few weeks back and saw a bunch of freshmen orientation tours walking about.

They seem like a bright, attractive group of well-adjusted young people who would be an asset to any large midwestern athletic conferences that might be looking to balance out a recent addition that specializes more in spray tans and tramp stamps.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I was on campus a few weeks back and saw a bunch of freshmen orientation tours walking about.

They seem like a bright, attractive group of well-adjusted young people who would be an asset to any large midwestern athletic conferences that might be looking to balance out a recent addition that specializes more in spray tans and tramp stamps.

Wholesome, you forgot wholesome.

Reaction Score

So now you're a believer?

B1G fans really only want schools that have fanbases who want to join the B1G. If you prefer another conference, they'll politely tell you to duckk off. I guess the debate now might be, ACC or B1G? Both have their pros and cons. Academically, I'd prefer the B1G. Easily.

Athletically, it's might be a tough choice because of demographics shifts. Would Mizzou take the B1G over the SEC if they were given the option to choose?

I do think it is possible the B1G can reach more into Canada than they do now. Buffalo does sound crazy, but as upstater implied, the population in southern Ontario is the most densely populated area in Canada. If the Buffalo Bills move, then what? (I have a hard time seeing the Bills move.) Their basketball program can also make a splash in that market. They absolutely should have a D1 hockey program.

Reaction Score

A thread posted earlier said that AD Gross of Syracuse was opposed to UConn joining the ACC after the UMD defection. I thought that it probably wasn't true and figured that, at worst, Syracuse was neutral. But maybe there is something to it.

Consider this:

UConn's freshmen have higher SAT scores than Syracuse freshmen. UConn is more selective, accepting fewer applicants and has a higher yield on accepted students.
At 1/3 the cost, do think Syracuse wants us in the ACC to compete against them head to head in sports also? Bottom line - Syracuse might be doing what it can to keep us out of the ACC.
It is like many over-priced private institutions trying to justify its cost in the face of burgeoning, public higher education institutions in the Northeast. (UConn, Rutgers etc.)

Here's still hoping for UConn to the B1G! It only has 1 private university and it (Northwestern) is above it all.

Reaction Score
A thread posted earlier said that AD Gross of Syracuse was opposed to UConn joining the ACC after the UMD defection. I thought that it probably wasn't true and figured that, at worst, Syracuse was neutral. But maybe there is something to it.

Consider this:

UConn's freshmen have higher SAT scores than Syracuse freshmen. UConn is more selective, accepting fewer applicants and has a higher yield on accepted students.
At 1/3 the cost, do think Syracuse wants us in the ACC to compete against them head to head in sports also? Bottom line - Syracuse might be doing what it can to keep us out of the ACC.
It is like many over-priced private institutions trying to justify its cost in the face of burgeoning, public higher education institutions in the Northeast. (UConn, Rutgers etc.)

Here's still hoping for UConn to the B1G! It only has 1 private university and it (Northwestern) is above it all.

It's way too early to figure out what the university dynamic will look like in the future. if Syracuse wants to remain relevant, it will ramp up its academics. There are actually plenty of students who will pay Cuse that high cost because colleges are not expanding seats, and the competition is stiff. So far, these high-priced institutions haven't seen any changes in willingness to pay other than the fact they are becoming increasingly less diverse and with a richer student body.

Talked to someone in the midst of all the policy-making at a get-together the other night who said that the biggest talk now is whether we are shooting ourselves in the foot with regard to reforms. They are worried that the lowering of standards will be noticed around the world and that American schools will lose their worldwide reputation. 15-20% of our higher education costs are subsidized by foreign governments and foreign private citizens. That money is not money the USA can take for granted. If standards fall and take reputations down with them, we are risking a lot of money lost.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Talked to someone in the midst of all the policy-making at a get-together the other night who said that the biggest talk now is whether we are shooting ourselves in the foot with regard to reforms. They are worried that the lowering of standards will be noticed around the world and that American schools will lose their worldwide reputation. 15-20% of our higher education costs are subsidized by foreign governments and foreign private citizens. That money is not money the USA can take for granted. If standards fall and take reputations down with them, we are risking a lot of money lost.

No doubt aout it, selling American universities to foreign students is a huge economic driver for the nation. A very good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom