Sanogo's three pointers | The Boneyard

Sanogo's three pointers

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
There was plenty of discussion preseason. Some hated the idea. How's everyone feeling after seven games?

Stop taking them? Sparingly? Fire at will?

Reaction Score
There was plenty of discussion preseason. Some hated the idea. How's everyone feeling after seven games?

2-3 a game max. Right now he’s hitting at least 1 or 2 a game.

I love his versatility, and honestly, if he keeps making them, then keep shooting them!

but the facts are we just have many shooters who are better than him, who we’d much rather prefer taking those shots lol

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

He seems to be taking them at the right clip. They’ve all been good shots. I don’t think Coach wants him putting up like Hawkins or calacaterra , but it’s an awesome keep the D honest weapon.

Reaction Score
Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Reaction Score
He’s 7 of 13 for the year. Undoubtedly that will regress to the mean as the season goes on but If he even makes 1 of 3 for the rest of the year that’s really solid for a 6’9”, 240 lb. big. I say keep shooting them if he is open and they are good looks.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Honestly, I'm not sure. Last night I was saying "nooooo" on the one that dropped after the previous misses.

Reaction Score
There's value making opponents' defenses honor Sanogo when he's out in space.

Right now, Sanogo is averaging 1.9 3PA per game and last year Isaiah Whaley averaged 1.7 3PA.

In summary, I support Sanogo taking about the same amount of threes Whaley did last year.

What I love about that is that it makes opponents' defenses respect all five of our starters on the perimeter.

How many teams can say that?

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
but the facts are we just have many shooters who are better than him, who we’d much rather prefer taking those shots lol
One of the things I enjoy about his 3s is that most often he is undefended, has time to set himself and drop that 3.

Someone on D lost him/missed his assignment and Adama makes them pay, hard.

I know others can drop 3s and are better at it, but his 3s are a particular gut punch to our opponents.

Loved the 3 that DC took last night. Too bad it didn't drop. What a look if both of our bigs have the green light outside the 3pt line?

Karaban, Sanogo and Clingan, each with an outside shot? What a nightmare for the opposing coach.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
There's value making opponents' defenses honor Sanogo when he's out in space.

Right now, Sanogo is averaging 1.9 3PA per game and last year Isaiah Whaley averaged 1.7 3PA.

In summary, I support Sanogo taking about the same amount of threes Whaley did last year.

What I love about that is that it makes opponents' defenses respect all five of our starters on the perimeter.

How many teams can say that?
It really befuddles teams trying to defend our pick and roll and opens up the floor. They have to respect him rolling to the hoop and now sometimes he’s popping for a handoff or drive and kick to the 3 line instead. Teams have gotten the memo and need to get up on him, and that then opens up stuff like the beautiful over the top pass to a cutting Hawkins last night.

It’s really solid stuff we are running now. And made possible because he worked so hard to be a threat from there.

Reaction Score
One of the things I enjoy about his 3s is that most often he is undefended, has time to set himself and drop that 3.

Someone on D lost him/missed his assignment and Adama makes them pay, hard.

I know others can drop 3s and are better at it, but his 3s are a particular gut punch to our opponents.

Loved the 3 that DC took last night. Too bad it didn't drop. What a look if both of our bigs have the green light outside the 3pt line?

Karaban, Sanogo and Clingan, each with an outside shot? What a nightmare for the opposing coach.
And don’t forget that Samson Johnson supposedly had a nice stroke from 3 as well!

Reaction Score
The hidden value in Sanogo's three point shooting is the affect it will have on recruiting. If you are a high school big who is great in the paint, Sanogo is exhibit A that you can come to Storrs and round out your game to fit the NBA.

Reaction Score
I’d prefer he shoot it only when stepping into the shot. 1 or 2 per game.

Reaction Score
In general I'm all about taking shots. And that's my thought for Sanogo as well. It's a good looking shot with good form. Doesn't jump a ton. Nor does it look like he throws the ball much. Its a soft looking shot. Let er' rip.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with any shot he’s taken. If they’re packing the paint and leaving him wide open, fire away. Between that and his improvement putting the ball on the floor and driving from the top of the key, he’s just a monster to defend right now.

Reaction Score
And when they start to close-out hard on him, he has enough handle to drive by and score with a post move. He needs to keep practicing awareness of what to do if he dribbles into traffic.

Reaction Score
In the 2 games we've played against high-major competition, he's 3-6 50%.

Keep shooting as long as you're open.

That shot will be the difference between open lanes to the basket, and easy kickouts to open shooters, and not. Those open kickout 3's will lead to more open driving lanes.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I have no issue with him taking 3s at the rate he has been; in fact, it's a huge weapon. I know it wasn't at the 3 point line, but he had a play where he pump faked when he had the ball at the free throw line, and then drove by his man when he bit on the fake and hit a shot off the glass. He also had a beautiful pass to (I think?) Hawkins for a lay-in. Basically, when he's on his game he's unguardable by an opposing team's 5.

Reaction Score
As Adama's in-game/ spontaneous BBIQ continues to evolve based on game situations/matchups--And it has-- He's understanding much better when to take that shot.. One of his threes yesterday was a major momentum shifter.. His coach is not going to discourage him from continuing to take "good" threes.. So far.. Its working great.

Reaction Score

Stop settling for 3s. Until last night he seemed to be taking them in the flow of the offense. There was a lot of standing around, settling for bad shots from 9 minutes left in the first half until about halfway through the second half. Sonogo wasn't the worst offender, either.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with any shot he’s taken. If they’re packing the paint and leaving him wide open, fire away. Between that and his improvement putting the ball on the floor and driving from the top of the key, he’s just a monster to defend right now.
That's another fair point. None of his threes he's taken this year have been boneheaded shot attempts. They all made sense irregardless to the outcome.

Reaction Score
He has to take enough to lure the defense further out and stop them from dropping in the PnR. At some point the tape will precede him and he'll achieve the effect without even shooting. But he should still take them if wide open.

Reaction Score
I think he should shoot them when he's wide open and can step into the shot. I don't expect he'll be putting up shots like Hawkins. An average of 2 a game is fine with me.

Posting this again, but I wonder when @Fishy is going to say he was wrong about Sanogo shooting threes? Just asking because I don't know if he still believes that and if he's changed his mind it would be nice to see him admit he was wrong.

For reference:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom