Sanogo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sanogo

Reaction Score
I will probably take a lot of heat for this but it will be a fair assessment. I love watching Sanogo work in the low post. He is as gifted of a player UConn has had in a long time. I think in that regard he is better than Okafor was. Remember, I didn't say better than Okafor, he is not, at least at this time. He is better in the post. Seems that most have already passed him along to the NBA as a first-round draft pick. Here is why I think that is a stretch:

He would have to be a 4 or a 5 in the NBA. His present skillset says he can only be a 5 and that is a difficult path. He is very under-sized as a 5. The average NBA center is 6'11". Sanogo is listed at 6'9". There is a good chance when he is measured for the draft he is more like 6'7.5/6'"8". His game right now is almost 100% back to the basket. He rarely scores outside of the 5-8 feet mark. If he has any kind of a 12-15 foot jumper it rarely shows itself. He will be a lot more contested by bigger players that can alter and impact his shot. He presently can't be a 4 in the NBA. He doesn't have the quickness to guard most of the quality 4's and he can't knock down and create his own shot beyond the lane. He has shown no ability, or desire to shoot or make 3's which would have to change.

Overall, he is a special talent, and some teams may give him a shot, but if you look at nbadraft.net he isn't listed in the 1st 2 rounds in the '22 or '23 draft! I love the kid to death, he is a great college player. His game may grow to be a better fit, but that doesn't look like this year. Hopefully, after next, that looks different. He is a genuine "tweener" but doesn't have the right fit for the NBA. Two other concerns. He leads the team in turnovers per game as a 5. That can't happen! He is also a black hole right now, the ball comes in and it never goes out. I think time and experience may solve both of those issues. For now, they exist.

I don't think he is or will be a 1st round draft candidate this season, I expect him back.
You do realize that because you put Sanogo’s name in the same paragraph as Okafors that this qualifies you for torture and hanging. LOL. I happen to agree with you and let’s not forget he’s just a few games into his year number 2. He as touch, and he might develop 15-17 footers or more. They should be encouraging him to shoot those. He’s a guy that learns quickly and I hope we have him for season 3 at least.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Our bigs have a history of missing layups and other short bunny shots, even the great ones. Sanogo misses fewer than anyone else I can remember. He has also improved his ability to stay on the floor immensely. When people question DH, I look right at Sanogo, Cole, and Gaffney as counter arguments. All three of those guys are at least a level up from where they were at the beginning of last season. The most exciting thing about Sanogo is that unlike some of our past NBA busts, he doesn't look like he's near his ceiling.

Reaction Score
Sanogo can't make money off NIL since he isn't US citizen
Is this true? Not saying you’re wrong but I’ve never heard anything even close to this before and seems very unfair. Why would foreigners be any less deserving than American college athletes?

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
not me...they fit together worse than whaley and sanogo. which one of them is supposed to play the 4?
Also makes me wonder if we'd be able to land a big man prospect like Isaiah Miranda in the 2023 calls with senior Adama, sophomore Clingan, Junior Samson, and possibly redshirt Senior Springs already in the fold. One would have to think Adama would be playing 30+ minutes per game and dominating on both ends of the floor.

Reaction Score
Is this true? Not saying you’re wrong but I’ve never heard anything even close to this before and seems very unfair. Why would foreigners be any less deserving than American college athletes?
It is correct, NIL only applies to US citizens since it's a federal law and international students are just here on a visa. Not sure about Sanogo's citizenship status though

Reaction Score
Imagine if Pop had your line of thinking when the Spurs drafted Duncan while they already had Robinson.
Quit while you already look dumb, you don't need to do this to yourself

Reaction Score
not me...they fit together worse than whaley and sanogo. which one of them is supposed to play the 4?
Agreed but you've been hyping Purdue who starts 2 back to the basket centers together. If they are both good enough to start you start two centers but I expect Donovan will take a little time adjusting to the highest level of D1 basketball.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The NBA will come back around to post play in a few years as someone runs a few regressions on the Points per Possession that happens when a pass goes into the post during the possession. The NBA is in the early days of figuring out its own analytics.
Post/Custom title

Reaction Score
So you aren't completely fired up at the idea of Sanago and clingan playing together??
Absolutely not. I'm fired up to have 40 minutes of them at the 5 and Akok/Johnson at the 4. But we shouldn't play 1 second of them together

Reaction Score
Agreed but you've been hyping Purdue who starts 2 back to the basket centers together. If they are both good enough to start you start two centers but I expect Donovan will take a little time adjusting to the highest level of D1 basketball.
Except they don't, Trevion Williams comes off the bench and Zach Edey starts. Unless you mean Furst, but I wouldn't call him a back to the basket center

Reaction Score
Except they don't, Trevion Williams comes off the bench and Zach Edey starts. Unless you mean Furst, but I wouldn't call him a back to the basket center
My bad, I was thinking of Edey and Williams. I assumed they both started. I've watched Purdue three times this season and didn't even notice.

Reaction Score
Also makes me wonder if we'd be able to land a big man prospect like Isaiah Miranda in the 2023 calls with senior Adama, sophomore Clingan, Junior Samson, and possibly redshirt Senior Springs already in the fold. One would have to think Adama would be playing 30+ minutes per game and dominating on both ends of the floor.
if sanogo is still here as a senior it will certainly be a hard sell but it depends on how much he expects to play as a frosh. fortunately i think miranda can backup clingan or samson at the 4 and 5.

hurley sold clingan on coming into an equally crowded frontcourt next year w/ sanogo, akok, samson, and springs.

Reaction Score
I love sanogo and he’s been a beast fir us this year but he needs to learn to pass out of those double teams. He can’t be a black hole. And no more baseline shots either. Hurleys job to tell him that. That baby hook is deadly once he gets in down low tho.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I don't think a single person here thinks he's a 1st round draft pick. I'm one of the few who's been saying he'll leave after his sophomore year and I think that would be as a late 2nd round/undrafted FA. I lean towards him coming back now that NIL has been passed though
He should stay four years. He has the potential to make more NIL money the next three years than playing in Europe or the G-League and he is much more suited to college ball. Believe it or not, NIL might actually make college basketball better.

Reaction Score
It is correct, NIL only applies to US citizens since it's a federal law and international students are just here on a visa. Not sure about Sanogo's citizenship status though

He should stay four years. He has the potential to make more NIL money the next three years than playing in Europe or the G-League and he is much more suited to college ball. Believe it or not, NIL might actually make college basketball better.
a potential new concern regarding sanogo and NIL has been raised

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
if sanogo is still here as a senior it will certainly be a hard sell but it depends on how much he expects to play as a frosh. fortunately i think miranda can backup clingan or samson at the 4 and 5.

hurley sold clingan on coming into an equally crowded frontcourt next year w/ sanogo, akok, samson, and springs.
In Hurley and Co we trust. Looking forward to seeing where this Jeremy Fears Jr commitment is headed. It looks like we will definitely need another point guard in 2023 behind/alongside Diggins, Castle, and Floyd Jr. Gaffney could theoretically use his covid year if we miss out on Fears.

I'm of the opinion that Adama will find his way into the league whether he is drafted or not, but it's difficult to see him as an early entry 1st round pick at this time. He'll obviously be a dominant force over the next couple seasons for us, health permitting. He's got a lot to work on towards making his game more well rounded but by all accounts of his work ethic, he should get there. I assume he's heard all the black hole criticism by now and hope he will adjust accordingly.

Reaction Score
My bad, I was thinking of Edey and Williams. I assumed they both started. I've watched Purdue three times this season and didn't even notice.
It's pretty wild, he averaged 15 and 9 last year and they don't start him this year. And he's making it work, averaging 14 and 9 in 20 minutes this year off the bench

Reaction Score
It's pretty wild, he averaged 15 and 9 last year and they don't start him this year. And he's making it work, averaging 14 and 9 in 20 minutes this year off the bench
Just nearly had a triple double off the bench, missed it by 1 assist. Although tbf he is pretty much playing starters minutes in games where they aren’t blowing the opponent out.

Reaction Score
Are you sure about this? I'd love to read about from a primary source if you have a link. I'm no lawyer, but this doesn't pass my smell test.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom