Sanogo- Whoa! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sanogo- Whoa!

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Isn’t it great to have a big man? A big strong, rebounding, great footwork, superb touch big man?
It is. Just don’t throw bounce
passes to him.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Unsung hero of Sanogo's success is Jackson for his nice entry passes into him. sets up the big guy with space and let's him go to work with that big frame, great footwork, and soft touch.

Reaction Score
ehhhhhh. maybe after his junior year unless he makes a huge statistical jump and averages 15-10. i think he can do that but his game doesnt really translate to the league anymore. he's a ground bound mound of rebound. doesnt have the length to be a nba shot blocker and he doesnt appear to have 3 point range. needs to do one or the other. i can't come up with a current player comparison for him. he's definitely playing pro ball somewhere just maybe not the nba (and hopefully not until after his junior year).
the NBA is not about stats it's about potential. He could easily be on draft boards next year with his size and foot work. He just needs to improve his hands --which were great tonight.

Reaction Score
ehhhhhh. maybe after his junior year unless he makes a huge statistical jump and averages 15-10. i think he can do that but his game doesnt really translate to the league anymore. he's a ground bound mound of rebound. doesnt have the length to be a nba shot blocker and he doesnt appear to have 3 point range. needs to do one or the other. i can't come up with a current player comparison for him. he's definitely playing pro ball somewhere just maybe not the nba (and hopefully not until after his junior year).
agreed. first guy i thought of was xavier tillman -- obviously not a great comparison, but he is an undersized (for the nba) big playing major minutes without really shooting the three or protecting the rim.

there are opportunities, but not a whole ton...

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Sanogo, Cole, Martin, and Jackson next season is SCARY. Add in the newcomers? This is not momentary momentum!

Lol I forgot about Martin. And on top of all that, Akok should be 100% by November.

Reaction Score
Great time to be coming into his own. He stepped up. Seems like a guy steps up each game and that is a great sign for a resilient competitive team.

Reaction Score
the NBA is not about stats it's about potential. He could easily be on draft boards next year with his size and foot work. He just needs to improve his hands --which were great tonight.
but he doesnt have good size for a nba center he's only 6'9 and not hyper-athletic or long...like i said. if he could improve his stats as a sophomore that would also demonstrate potential.... exactly what bouk did this year

Reaction Score
I was blown away by his driving ability. Did not know he had that in him. He was fast, strong and coordinated. He showed me flashes of Julius Randle. If he can do that consistently at his size in college watch out!!! He will be an AA and could play himself right into being an early entry lottery pick. I was impressed by him before but tonight the skills he showed for a big man were jaw dropping.

I was at the game, on one drive the coaches were just screaming at him to "go" when he had the ball, he waited a few seconds the crowd cleared and Adama made a beautifully under control drive from the wing for a score.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Unsung hero of Sanogo's success is Jackson for his nice entry passes into him. sets up the big guy with space and let's him go to work with that big frame, great footwork, and soft touch.
Jackson is constantly looking to find Sanogo. I believe they’re roommates.

Reaction Score
I was at the game, on one drive the coaches were just screaming at him to "go" when he had the ball, he waited a few seconds the crowd cleared and Adama made a beautifully under control drive from the wing for a score.
Sort of a cross between a ballet dancer and a freight train. (with good hands and a really soft touch)

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
High praise but he can look like another Okafor in a few years.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
It’s nice to have a center with hands. For years we would have these defensive oriented centers who had bricks for hands.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yes. In a couple of years he'll be adjusting to NBA life. Next year is his last year at UConn.
If he stays until his junior year, will you pour a whole bottle of hot sauce in your eyes?

Reaction Score
Isn’t it great to have a big man? A big strong, rebounding, great footwork, superb touch big man?
A nice change for Sanogo was for him to go straight up or pivot back toward the hoop instead of away as he has often done in earlier games. Our guards also didn't try point blank fast passes in traffic in deep at waist height. They shot, we rebounded misses and put them back! Yea!

With Whaley and Sanogo on the floor our inside defense was a thing of beauty. The refs also seem to let the players determine who would win. There are few big men with his touch and potential. The Big Ten has a number of Paul Bunion's, impressive in stature but don't have the finesse and footwork.

Reaction Score
NBA scouts about to go WOAH!

Certainly will be a force down low, but i have to believe the scouts want to see a jump shot. He looks smooth on his free throws, so I don’t know why he doesn’t show a shot in the flow of a game.

Reaction Score
Certainly will be a force down low, but i have to believe the scouts want to see a jump shot. He looks smooth on his free throws, so I don’t know why he doesn’t show a shot in the flow of a game.
The way he's improving you can expect that jump shot by the NCAA finals :)

Reaction Score
Sanogo is such an interesting player. He's shown so much improvement and skill in just his first year. And yet for everyone saying he's a future lotto pick... I don't know about that. Not doubting his ability or skill, but I wonder if teams think he is quick enough to defend the 4, or big and long enough to defend the 5. He's not huge nor is he an athletic freak. And unless he's a surefire lottery pick, he may be best staying at UConn for 3 or 4 years.

All that is to say he has a chance to go down as one of the all-time greats here in Storrs, which is incredibly fun to think about.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom