Sanogo out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sanogo out

Reaction Score
Cue the "time to gear up for next year" posts. This has been happening since 2015. When will we get our chance to say "lets do it this year"?

Reaction Score
Hurley had plenty to say about Akok figuring out ways to contribute and his minutes not being “dead minutes” like in the Bahamas (30 minutes with 0 points). Anyway, injuries aside, this is what we’ve all been asking for in regards to getting the pups some time

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Wasn't Auburn out two starters against us?

Every team deals with injuries every year.

Good news is UConn is forced to with Akok, Johnson, Springs and Diggins. Which is way more talent than UConn has had the past decade coming off the bench.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Also, when Whaley gets a lot of time, he’s a monster. Think the end of his junior year..just trying to be positive guys lol
I agree. Don’t get me wrong, I’d much rather have Adama in there, but Isaiah is very good. He’d be the first option on a lot of teams.

I also am looking forward to AKok getting more burn. He’s another guy who I think will benefit from the extra minutes.

I do think Hurley has to go look in the closet at Gampel and see if he can find Jim Calhoun‘s short hook. I think that is the best approach. If people are struggling, pull them off the court and have the assistants talk to them and then get them back on.

Hurley is going to have to coach the heck out of these guys for us to stay relevant in the near term.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
"Likely more" would bring in at least the Providence and Marquette games. Maybe Xavier on the 28th. Not the ideal teams to be missing both Sanogo and Martin, but it is what it is. Let's see what we've got.

Too bad we don't have Georgetown this month.

Reaction Score
I don't think Samson is ready but he will be thrown to the fire. Whaley moves to center and Akok at the 4. Polley will play 4 as well as he did 2 years ago before his knee injury. I'd like to see Springs spell whaley for some muscle as we a skinny team now in the front court.

Reaction Score
Terrible news.. Got to hold down the fort until Rese and Adama can return. We've been talking about the depth of this roster. Let's show it.

Play together/stay healthy/get it done. This is why you come to UConn. PT is a non-issue.. Show the coaches you belong on the floor.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
meh, stuff happens. twas ever thus. the interesting thing is that now we are down aboot 20 or 30 points, and lots of boards, in reasonably expected production from the two guys, so how will our new look squad try to replace that? im hopeful. man up!

Reaction Score
Re: abdominal strains/tear (remember a strain is a partial tear, Grade III strain is a complete tear): "Moderate strains typically take two to three months to heal and severe strains can take several months of rehabilitation." Injuries to core muscles are never something to mess with. So best case he's back by Feb. Worst case into March/the entire season. Hopefully we have some good results from the MRI.

From a basketball standpoint, this is troublesome because the entire offense revolved around him. Obviously the entire playbook needs to be retooled, and long-term I don't think that's a bad thing. Short term, it will be troublesome. Akok is really the guy that needs to step up, and then ideally one of Springs/Sampson. There is no way around it. Someone has to step up down low.

Reaction Score
This sucks, but this team is deep. We may take a step back in the short term, but well be more dangerous in the tournaments because of this news. Next up lets go

Reaction Score
Just judging by the injury and way it’s being communicated, doesn’t seem like this is a 2 week thing. Would think it’s quite a bit longer… stay afloat, get Martin back as quickly as possible and go from there. Losing Sanogo hurts but I think they can be alright once they get Martin back. Martin gives them some positional flexibility and he’s so important to this team. Whaley playing at the 5 should help, just going to struggle against teams with a traditional 5. Keep him out of foul trouble and throw springs in there at the 5 to spell Whaley. Time for everyone to step up and change the way they play a bit.

Reaction Score
People have to stop saying every injury that happens is a long term benefit. No they aren’t. Winning is the biggest long term benefit and this does nothing but hurt our chances to win.
if you dont care for silver linings i guess you can cry about it instead?

it hurts our chances to win this year yes, but we have/had second round exit written all over us anyways. playing our freshmen more now will help our chances to win next year when we can make a real run.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I don't think Samson is ready but he will be thrown to the fire. Whaley moves to center and Akok at the 4. Polley will play 4 as well as he did 2 years ago before his knee injury. I'd like to see Springs spell whaley for some muscle as we a skinny team now in the front court.
man, id sure like to see sum springs time. that guy is big, wants to go to the basket, and can make a free throw. inquiring minds want to know. me too.

Reaction Score
We can finally play 4 out with some regularity and Whaley back in a rim running role where he historically played his best offensively (dunk the damn ball mode). 3 point shooting will become make or break which is scary, but already has been the story for us this year anyway. Hawkins seems like the likely break out candidate, but high ceiling guys like Jackson and Akok will also get their chances too.

Soul searching season begins

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
1yv7ty.jpg

Reaction Score
This is why it sucks Hurley slow plays it with the freshmen. Now they will be thrown into big minutes having not already played against any real competition
of course but it depends on the year. if we lose 2 starters next year i'll be inconsolable b/c 2023 was always THE year as compared to this year (still building) and 2024 (reloading). after the ollie era i can afford to be patient.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom