Saniya Rivers has hit the portal!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Saniya Rivers has hit the portal!!!

Reaction Score
Until all of the transfer activity ceases, in particular, the best 20 in the lot settle in with a team, I think it's a bit too early to anoint ANY team as top 5. I thought Tennessee ended the year right about where they started as far as expectations. I also thought that their schedule was a bit backloaded so their early rankings weren't a true reflection of how good or bad they were. Yes, they played Stanford and Texas ( full disclosure: I thought they got shafted by calls...intentional or not having relevance here). But, they also had some head-scratching losses to basement SEC teams in which they were taller than at every position.

I guess Jackson is an upgrade to Burrell, the injured one, other than that I would give Burrell the edge on the defensive end. And on the offensive end...how much of a difference in point production are we talking about? A few? And ABSOLUTELY..chemistry is everything. Other questions or obstacles are fitting in a new PG. Taking the ball out of Horston's hand...will she be comfortable? Will she be more efficient? She scored a lot of points, but she wasn't very efficient, especially considering her size versus opposing defenders. She shot 39%. You can absorb that in a high-volume shooter, but her shot attempts will decrease with Jackson, Jazmine, and maybe Pissott having an impact in her first year. Horston did, use that to her advantage in rebounding. Kudos to her. The thing about offensive rebounding is....it only presents itself on missed shots. So, it looks good, but is it good? Usually, the score tells the story. You win by 5 and get 15 offensive rebounds, then something is wrong because you should win by 15 to 20.

But, again, I agree...can Harper make all these new and existing pieces click, even with an addition of Saniya. I'm assuming at this time she left SC over minutes. Will Harper give her significant minutes shooting 25%? I wouldn't and if, I'm playing behind her...I'm out of there. Tenn. needs a new offensive identity because they don't have the luxury of building it around a single dominant player. Horston is just not efficient or consistent enough to carry a team...at this point anyway. When you have this much to sort out, I don't see where there can't be growing pains along the way.
Fair points, particularly about the final destinations for some key portal pieces. Who knows what new super-teams will form as a result...

Tennessee wasn't pretty to watch last season, but before Green and then Horston were injured, they were a classic Pat Summitt team that used their size to bludgeon their opponents on the glass and mask the fact that they couldn't shoot very well with 3 consecutive attempts at the basket. When executed well, that's good enough to beat most of the field until you run into a team that a.) does it better (SC) b.) takes your strengths away from you (Stanford) or c) just shoots lights out (UConn). There are others that fit into one of these categories, but there aren't many.

Reaction Score
What did the Vols add other than Jackson?

I think the right additions could make them a major threat, but I don't think they were really a top 5 team at any point this past year.
Jackson and Powell (PG from Minnesota). They've played without a PG for 2 seasons, so I'm just as happy with this pickup as Jackson. Next piece they need is a good 6'4 post to back Key up. Anything in addition to that (including Saniya) is just gravy.

Reaction Score
The Vols should be real good next season with a core of Jackson, Horston, Rivers and Key. The outside shooting is still suspect but great athletes to build around.

Reaction Score
The Vols should be real good next season with a core of Jackson, Horston, Rivers and Key. The outside shooting is still suspect but great athletes to build around.
Pissott & Jackson will solve their shooting issues from outside.

Reaction Score

I think the right additions could make them a major threat, but I don't think they were really a top 5 team at any point this past year.
Pissott? Powell from Minnesota and Jackson. Pucket should be better. And Suarez returns.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I expect Tennessee to add a post player. If anyone else comes via transfer portal. Tennessee will have three potential first round draft picks Horston, Key, and Jackson.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Can't argue your point because that's exactly how Dawn and few other top tier coaches operate. That is why I said The recruits have to do better by themselves and find a program that is less crowded if they're wanting playing time. Dawn has the luxury to hold that mindset because they know the cupboards are full. Empty the cupboards and then see if Dawn starts to worry about losing talent.
I am sure Dawn would have kept her if she wanted to stay. That's a no brainer. Dawn is not worried because she wants kids that can fit her coaching style. If they want out....she is happy to help them even then. Saniya was at the celebration as was Wosleck and Russell. She supports her players and past player. Her players from past South Carolina teams and her former Temple players got replicas of the National Championship trophy. She is classy and that translates everywhere.

Reaction Score
Rivers out Talaysia Cooper & Fletcher in. Dawn's not losing any sleep im sure. Especially with possibly grabbing Malaysia Fulwiley and Joyce Edwards coming soon .

Reaction Score

They weren't a Top 5 last year. Their best win was a home game against Texas. UConn blew them out and UConn wasn't at full strength either.

Reaction Score
They weren't a Top 5 last year. Their best win was a home game against Texas. UConn blew them out and UConn wasn't at full strength either.
The were top 5 at one point up to #4 before the injury bug bit them. Had they been full strength the entire season they could have finished top 5 . Keyen Green was a big blow , then Rae injured at the beginning along with Jordan at the end just seemed like the team could never find their groove due to injuries same with UCONN.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
If you take the best player of each FF team. How many of them make the FF?

Reaction Score
The were top 5 at one point up to #4 before the injury bug bit them. Had they been full strength the entire season they could have finished top 5 . Keyen Green was a big blow , then Rae injured at the beginning along with Jordan at the end just seemed like the team could never find their groove due to injuries same with UCONN.
I still never thought they were a Top 5 team. Tennessee MO was to beat offensive challenge teams by bully ball(outside of South Carolina) and struggle with teams that had offensive firepower.

Reaction Score
this was not a recruit to lose sleep over, Cardoso was always the worry SC might lose. Now they'll have Boston and then Cardoso to replace her.

Reaction Score
I hope for the folks banking on Jackson helping TN have stock in rolaids.

Reaction Score
Dawn makes it clear to the athlete and their family that playing time is earned and that high school minutes won't be college minutes. These athletes are used to being "the" best player on the team. They get to college and they are not the best player and that reality hits them in the face. They become maybe the sixth or seventh best player and in South Carolina's case maybe lower than that. If they are wanting more playing time....go to a program with less talent in front of you.....but that only means South Carolina still has better talent than the ones they transfer to....
You don’t get it. After sitting around a year it’s about playing right away to many of these transfers at winning programs not who has better talent. They don’t care SC has better talent. That’s why they are transferring. They’d rather take more control of their situation and increase their chances of playing somewhere else. In their mind it’s less risky than sitting the bench another year and waiting there turn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I still never thought they were a Top 5 team. Tennessee MO was to beat offensive challenge teams by bully ball(outside of South Carolina) and struggle with teams that had offensive firepower.
I don't disagree, but their brand of bully ball was so efficient (when mostly healthy) that it worked against pretty much everyone except the very best teams. Their defense could make even the prettiest of offensive gameplans look like crap.

Reaction Score
You don’t get it. After sitting around a year it’s about playing right away to many of these transfers at winning programs not who has better talent. They don’t care SC has better talent. That’s why they are transferring. They’d rather take more control of their situation and increase their chances of playing somewhere else. In their mind it’s less risky than sitting the bench another year and waiting there turn.
I don't think he's wrong. Assuming playing time was the reason for transferring, the fact that any team they are able to start at would be less talented than the team they left is irrelevant to them because they want to play. But it's still a fact. Being part of a contender team is probably less important than playing a major role on a lesser team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom