Saniya out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Saniya out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BT was coming down with a rebound , IIRC, and her elbow clocked Saniya in the face or forehead

Did not appear at all intentional or reckless at the time

Saniya had her head tilted back when she took the elbow and it wouldn't surprise me if she has a compression injury to her neck vertebrae.

Reaction Score
Poor kid! Got to feel extra bad for her, paying her dues, patient and not quitting after lots of bench time and a nasty junior year injury. Then when she finds a place with the Big Four in her senior year, wham. :(

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Saniya had her head tilted back when she took the elbow and it wouldn't surprise me if she has a compression injury to her neck vertebrae.
But a compression injury is just that, an injury to the neck. It is not a concussion which is a bruise to the brain. Two very different injuries. I haven't heard anything about there being a separate injury.

Reaction Score
But a compression injury is just that, an injury to the neck. It is not a concussion which is a bruise to the brain. Two very different injuries. I haven't heard anything about there being a separate injury.

It's possible to get both a concussion and a neck injury from a blow like that. I had a neck injury and for a long time experienced dizziness if I simply tilted my head to look up. I wasn't concussed but the symptoms were similar.

Saniya was standing right up next to Turner who was in the air with her elbows at shoulder level and extended out. Her elbow came down right on Saniya's face that was looking up, her head tilted back Turner's entire body weight came down on her face. Standing with your head in that position and having 150 pounds land on your face could have been a tragic. How her neck wasn't broken was, IMO due to good fortune.

Of course every injury is unique and I have no information about Saniya's. But the fact that the injury was 2 weeks ago, and she is slated to miss another 10 days at least suggests that this was more than a routine concussion. (And please, I understand that all head injuries are serious)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Can we get Sadie Edwards back for a few weeks?:rolleyes:
upload_2016-12-19_0-52-29.jpeg

Reaction Score
Saniya has been declared out of Ohio State game and most likely Nebraska! Tough break for her.

This really sucks, especially for her. This was supposed to be the year she takes off but inconsistency and now this injury has derailed her progress. Hope she gets better real soon but don't rush back.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Big Loss for the Ohio St Game who primarily rely on guards for scoring. Not sure there is anyone on this team that can stop Kelsey Mitchell or for that matter Linnae Harper. Wish Linnae Harper wasn't eligible until after the UConn game. This will be a tough game. Definitely can't afford any foul trouble.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Big Loss for the Ohio St Game who primarily rely on guards for scoring. Not sure there is anyone on this team that can stop Kelsey Mitchell or for that matter Linnae Harper. Wish Linnae Harper wasn't eligible until after the UConn game. This will be a tough game. Definitely can't afford any foul trouble.
I think Kia & Gabby are more than capable of defending Mitchell & Harper, but it certainly would be helpful to have the additional depth that Saniya brings to the lineup.

Reaction Score
Well, our ladies probably can't "stop" Mitchell and Harper, but they certainly can contain them so that they do not have big games. Meanwhile, OSU has to stop Lou, Phessa, Gabby, and Nurse. A critical factor will be how well Danger is able to keep cool and play under control. Huskies by 20+.

Reaction Score

Calhoun is to be accounted for as well.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Speedy recovery for Chong. Concussions are tricky. Hopefully, she doesn't have a history of these. There have been some players to lose their careers to concussions.

Reaction Score
Get better soon Saniya! Still unclear on what injuries were sustained, but look forward to seeing you back when you are fully recovered.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well, our ladies probably can't "stop" Mitchell and Harper, but they certainly can contain them so that they do not have big games. Meanwhile, OSU has to stop Lou, Phessa, Gabby, and Nurse. A critical factor will be how well Danger is able to keep cool and play under control. Huskies by 20+.
Harper?? The Harper that averaged 11 ppg? that shot 38%/24%? that shot 51% on FT's? that had a A/TO ratio of 0.63 last year she played? That Harper? In her first game back? If she beats UCONN, they have some major problems.

Mitchell, sure, but Harper??

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Baptismal under fire. Due to Chong's unavailability, Dangerfield will not be afforded the luxury of taking her time to learn the system, and ease her way into the rotation as her skills and maturity would allow. Nay. Her services are needed, and they are needed NOW!!! Her exposure to top ranked teams for 30-35 minutes a game will benefit her greatly for several reasons. she can play without looking over her shoulder. If she makes a mistake, Geno will not necessarily give her the "hook".

Of course she'll be trying not to turn the ball over or make bad decisions, but the reality is that she IS a freshman, and will no doubt make freshman gaffs from time to time, something Geno has no doubt factored into the equation. She's still learning (and will be doing so the rest of the year), and continues to get better (and more comfortable with the starters) with every passing game. Remember this............she's much better now than she was at the beginning of the season, but not as good as she'll be by the end of the season. She'll have 30+ games (experience) under her belt by then.

As we all know, there's no substitute for experience. Something Geno has a glaring lack of right now on his bench. This will not be the case next year, but for now, if the starters can remain healthy and available, the lack of bench depth should not be a problem once conference play begins. Geno will probably resort to his old habit of only going 7 deep once tournament play begins.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Baptismal under fire. Due to Chong's unavailability, Dangerfield will not be afforded the luxury of taking her time to learn the system, and ease her way into the rotation as her skills and maturity would allow. Nay. Her services are needed, and they are needed NOW!!! Her exposure to top ranked teams for 30-35 minutes a game will benefit her greatly for several reasons. she can play without looking over her shoulder. If she makes a mistake, Geno will not necessarily give her the "hook".

Of course she'll be trying not to turn the ball over or make bad decisions, but the reality is that she IS a freshman, and will no doubt make freshman gaffs from time to time, something Geno has no doubt factored into the equation. She's still learning (and will be doing so the rest of the year), and continues to get better (and more comfortable with the starters) with every passing game. Remember this..she's much better now than she was at the beginning of the season, but not as good as she'll be by the end of the season. She'll have 30+ games (experience) under her belt by then.

As we all know, there's no substitute for experience. Something Geno has a glaring lack of right now on his bench. This will not be the case next year, but for now, if the starters can remain healthy and available, the lack of bench depth should not be a problem once conference play begins. Geno will probably resort to his old habit of only going 7 deep once tournament play begins.
There were a couple of times during the KSU game that I believe Geno would have normally sat Danger down, but as you indicate, he had nobody else that he was comfortable putting in the game. This is truly a trial by fire for the youngster from Tennessee. Fortunately, Danger is an absolutely fearless 5'6" freshman point guard.

Reaction Score
There were a couple of times during the KSU game that I believe Geno would have normally sat Danger down, but as you indicate, he had nobody else that he was comfortable putting in the game. This is truly a trial by fire for the youngster from Tennessee. Fortunately, Danger is an absolutely fearless 5'6" freshman point guard.

Indeed there was a moment I think late in the ND game where she did something bad or dumb. Geno immediately brought Chong in who played the remaining minutes. Lack of depth is a problem.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I love her "no fear" approach to the game, and the fact that she is not afraid of making a mistake. You can't be (play) scared, and be a productive high assist/scoring point guard at this level.

It's interesting to watch her grow and mature before our eyes with each passing game. I sure would like to see Dangerfield have another "Baylor" game performance ( 19 pts, 5 ast, 4 reb, 2 stls) again.

Reaction Score
Harper?? The Harper that averaged 11 ppg? that shot 38%/24%? that shot 51% on FT's? that had a A/TO ratio of 0.63 last year she played? That Harper? In her first game back? If she beats UCONN, they have some major problems.

Mitchell, sure, but Harper??
You're correct. I wasn't sure of Harper's record. Thanks.

Reaction Score
I think Geno will test Molly to some estent.
Geno does not test young players in game situations. He tests them in practice. If he didn't think she was ready vs Kansas St, I doubt anything would have changed in the last week.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
From today's Courant:

Butler has provided some important minutes up front, but she is not a player who fits into an up-tempo game. Irwin and Bent simply haven't earned the trust of Auriemma, although he may be forced to use them more as the season progresses.

Auriemma said he has talked to the freshmen about providing some consistent minutes.

"We've got to figure out a way to get [them] involved," Auriemma said. "They want to be involved but if you watch them everyday, you just kind of shake your head and say, 'Oh boy.' Might just have to close your eyes throw them out there anyways."

Reaction Score
From today's Courant:

Butler has provided some important minutes up front, but she is not a player who fits into an up-tempo game. Irwin and Bent simply haven't earned the trust of Auriemma, although he may be forced to use them more as the season progresses.

Auriemma said he has talked to the freshmen about providing some consistent minutes.

"We've got to figure out a way to get [them] involved," Auriemma said. "They want to be involved but if you watch them everyday, you just kind of shake your head and say, 'Oh boy.' Might just have to close your eyes throw them out there anyways."

once the AAC starts, there is a much much much higher margin for error, and I'm sure we will see them, esp Bent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom