Saniya keeps scoring ... and winning | The Boneyard

Saniya keeps scoring ... and winning

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Don't know but her per game average is so high it's hard to think what the other kids ranked above her did.

Andra E-H started scoring in 7th grade!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If last night's game were a year from now, how much of a contribution would Sanita be able to make? I'm thinking, at a minimum, she can hit pressure FTs. She's shooting almost 90%.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If last night's game were a year from now, how much of a contribution would Sanita be able to make? I'm thinking, at a minimum, she can hit pressure FTs. She's shooting almost 90%.

Stewart was shooting over 80% coming in to last nights game. When has Chong seen pressure like Stewart did last night?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewart was shooting over 80% coming in to last nights game. When has Chong seen pressure like Stewart did last night?
No high schooler has, but Saniya hit over 20 in a row in a close game last month, with a UConn coach in attendance. In addition, I believe she was playing sick. I'm surprised Stewie didn't hit them, because she's a good shooter, but Saniya shoots about 10 points higher--on a par with KML and EDD.

Reaction Score
Click on this LINK for an article on the Ossining vs Horseheads, class AA, regional semi.

Click on this LINK for Ossinings box score.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks for all the info on Saniya, Time.

Who coaches the Horseheads--Don Corleone?

Reaction Score
Thanks for all the info on Saniya, Time.

You're welcome, MilfordHusky........................we could have used Saniya's speed, ball handling and accuracy last night against Notre Dame........I sure wanted to beat them on THEIR home floor....it would have been nice payback...........I think we'll get them in Hartford, though.

Saniya came up with a right calf leg cramp tonight in the middle of the 4th quarter. She had to be carried off the court. They rubbed it down and stretched it and Saniya came back in after a time out. It definitely affected her play for the little bit of time she remained in the game. The trainer put an ice wrap on it. I hope she's good to go for Sunday at West Point.

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to watching Saniya play next year. Her offense will be needed with the departure of Kelly. I'm not familiar with other parts of her game. I believe Saniya can play either point or shooting guard.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I really think Saniya is going to be a pleasant surprise to UConn fans. Her passing and ablility to get to the rim are somethings we need. Having BB,MoJeff and Saniya in the backcourt will give us alot of quickness. Its gonna be fun.

Reaction Score
No high schooler has, but Saniya hit over 20 in a row in a close game last month, with a UConn coach in attendance. In addition, I believe she was playing sick. I'm surprised Stewie didn't hit them, because she's a good shooter, but Saniya shoots about 10 points higher--on a par with KML and EDD.

When I saw Breanna play the private schools here in Albany for the NYS title she pretty much hit every free throw she had, so I was genuinely surprised she missed as she did twice. I don't think she'll see as hostile an environment in the tournament as she saw against ND, so if it had to happen, better now. Saniya's range on the 3 is amazing. I've been trying to figure given how we're losing Kelly how much worse we will be next year. Given Griner and Diggins are leaving, we may not have to be better. We just can't be much worse. Should BB come back sound and Saniya be what she appears to be, to me it all comes down to Bria, who I feel for more than anyone. She's SO much better than she's playing. The one thing that really frustrates me is Stef's getting in foul trouble. I love you, Stef! You are the second best center in women' s basketball! You can't put yourself in positions where a homer ref can foul you out and cost us big games! It reminds me of the famous line where Ted Williams told Rico Petrocelli "You know what, Rico, I'd just as soon have you hit in the clutch as anyone we have. You hit every pitch well. Your swing is beautiful. But you know what, Rico? I'm beginning to think you're STUPID! The other day you had the pitcher 3-0 and you took 2 average fastballs right down Broadway and then struck out on a nasty curve in the dirt! How STUPID is THAT?!!" Rico shook his head and said "You know what, Mr Williams, you're right". Stef is FAR too important to this team to keep getting in foul trouble, and there's no reason for it. Bria can't be fouling out either, for even if she isn't shooting well, we still need her ball handling. I hope Moriah gets a lot of minutes in our future blowout games. We don't need 40 point wins. We do need her getting experience & confidence for ND & Baylor down the road.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Interesting note down the road for Ossining: if they win out to the NYS finals [no NYC teams allowed] they may face Cicero North who is on the opposite side of the bracket.
That game would be Saturday March 16. Props to Cicero for getting as far as they have...so far. Cicero is Breanna's alma mater.....and Cicero whomped Ossining last year in the semi-finals
I was at that game and it was over after 3 minutes.....29-6 after one quarter. Breanna had 43/24. Saniya had a rough first quarter and then did better the last 3...wound up with 21.
I hope Ossining gets a chance at pay-back. Saniya is getting treatment as I type....hopefully.

If she is healthy I would think that Ossining might easily run the table thru the NYS tourney and then head to Albany on the weekend of the 22nd for the NYS Federation event where the NYC champs will be.
I would think a rematch with CTK might be in the offing. TonyC was at their regular season game.....where Saniya was ill....had a modest 17 after 3 quarters....then had 29 in the 4th [yikes!]
to lead Ossining to a 96-90 win. That rematch in Albany might be an all-timer.

Get well Saniya!

Reaction Score
Interesting note down the road for Ossining: if they win out to the NYS finals [no NYC teams allowed] they may face Cicero North who is on the opposite side of the bracket.
That game would be Saturday March 16. Props to Cicero for getting as far as they have...so far. Cicero is Breanna's alma mater.....and Cicero whomped Ossining last year in the semi-finals
I was at that game and it was over after 3 minutes.....29-6 after one quarter. Breanna had 43/24. Saniya had a rough first quarter and then did better the last 3...wound up with 21.
I hope Ossining gets a chance at pay-back. Saniya is getting treatment as I type....hopefully.

If she is healthy I would think that Ossining might easily run the table thru the NYS tourney and then head to Albany on the weekend of the 22nd for the NYS Federation event where the NYC champs will be.
I would think a rematch with CTK might be in the offing. TonyC was at their regular season game.....where Saniya was ill....had a modest 17 after 3 quarters....then had 29 in the 4th [yikes!]
to lead Ossining to a 96-90 win. That rematch in Albany might be an all-timer.

Get well Saniya!

Hi Blake!
I think there's a VERY good chance they make Troy next weekend, and I remember seeing a lot of UConn shirts there and at the Times Union Arena for Breanna, so we should all try to have a get together and have a UConn section. The dates are March 15th-16th. I think Ossining is "AA", so they'll be playing Friday & Saturday evenings.

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to watching Saniya play next year. Her offense will be needed with the departure of Kelly. I'm not familiar with other parts of her game. I believe Saniya can play either point or shooting guard.

She plays point guard for Ossining......she usually brings the ball up the court and starts the offense at the top of the key. She's a high scoring, great passing/penetrating point guard (with either hand) with excellent, all court vision. Obviously she can play the shooting guard position (2) to. She'll probably play the shooting guard position at UConn.

Reaction Score
If Ossining gets to the final 4, they will play the Long Island regional Champion on Friday 3/15/13 at 6:15pm. The final is Saturday 3/16/13 at 8:45pm. I don't think CNS will make it to the final, they have not beat anyone outside of their Section this season and either Albany Academy or Gates Chili should stop their trip to the finals. The AA bracket this year is different than last season as it has several rotating byes that change every year.

Reaction Score
In the game vs Christ the King Saniya scored 35 points in the final 11:38 and hit 15 or 16 from the foul line. Did this while suffering from the flu in a packed home gym against Calhoun and with Luigi standing in the corner.
Ossining plays a Monroe-Woodbury squad that won its' Sectional Championship over Kingston by a score of 29-18.(not a misprint) As for common opponents Monroe faced Newburgh twice during the year, winning each time by a total of 16 and 12 points. Ossining defeated Newburgh early in the season 102-38. I am not expecting much of a game on Sunday at West Point but at least the game is at West Point in Christl Arena, the New Rochelle boys play the first game and there is an outstanding BBQ restaurant in Highland Falls just outside the Academy.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
When I saw Breanna play the private schools here in Albany for the NYS title she pretty much hit every free throw she had, so I was genuinely surprised she missed as she did twice. I don't think she'll see as hostile an environment in the tournament as she saw against ND, so if it had to happen, better now. Saniya's range on the 3 is amazing. I've been trying to figure given how we're losing Kelly how much worse we will be next year. Given Griner and Diggins are leaving, we may not have to be better. We just can't be much worse.

Given that Kelly is an elite defender, we're just not going to be able to replace that 1 for 1 next year so in some respects we'll certainly be worse. She came in strong as a frosh and just got stronger on D as her career wore on. She's that good. Players like BB (when healthy) and MoJeff should improve, but losing Kelly is still a huge loss when it comes to pressuring the other team's top player(s) directly.

The good thing is, we should be able to make up for this somewhat with an improved back line defense. The keys here are Stewart and Stokes. Stef is a pretty good 'lane cop' but her best D is played straight up, IMO. She does not patrol big chunks of space as well as the other two can. We'll need that because opponents are going to get by our 1-3 players more often without Kelly on the floor.

With Morgan as a starter, we will have a harder time providing that kind of backstop but we will score more points on our end. If Stokes is in at the 4 alongside Stef, we may score less but we'll have a stiffer back line. With Stewie, if she takes a big jump her sophomore year.......we could have....... both......:D

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
If they make it to Troy on the 15th we should definitely have a UConn section behind the Ossining bench and be loud.
I would not be one bit surprised to see a UConn coach or two there as well.

Reaction Score
If they make it to Troy on the 15th we should definitely have a UConn section behind the Ossining bench and be loud.
I would not be one bit surprised to see a UConn coach or two there as well.

Did you speak to Chris D when she was there? What a nice lady!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I had met her a couple of years ago....I did see her at that game engaged in vigorous conversation with a couple of fans.

Someone mentioned Gates-Chili above. They looked pretty good to me last year...I thought both their guards were potential college level players...not sure what level of ball.... and I think
they were underclassmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01