Saniya Gets Well Deserved Nod | The Boneyard

Saniya Gets Well Deserved Nod

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"We laugh sometimes on the bench; when things are going a little bit off kilter, the coaches will look at each other and say, 'Man who'd have ever thought that we'd be sitting here going, thank God we've got Saniya out there, she's got things under control.' ... We just shake our heads," coach Geno Auriemma said. "It wasn't long ago that you wouldn't trust her with the ball for long stretches at a time."

Saniya Chong's Emergence As Senior Worth Wait For Auriemma, UConn Women

"She's played herself into this position and I'm happy for her," Auriemma said. "I know she's waited a long time for this and so have we. So I'm glad it's here."

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This link may work better for some people that can't get into the other article.

Saniya Chong's Emergence As Senior Worth Wait For Auriemma ..

Yet on a team that has surprised the country during its undefeated rise to the top of the rankings, Chong has emerged as the backbone. Steady game after game, she has managed to consistently hit shots, distribute passes and handle the ball efficiently without turning it over.

I have on good authority from one of our resident experts that "steady" isn't what we want for UConn's point guard. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I love Saniya Chong, and she has been of enormous help this season. After 3 frustrating seasons, she's having the kind of year she and the team needs her to have. Calling her "the backbone," however, may be a compliment too far. A couple of others might better qualify for that level of praise. But like the season itself, Saniya will take what she can get. Love her.

Reaction Score
This link may work better for some people that can't get into the other article.

Saniya Chong's Emergence As Senior Worth Wait For Auriemma ..

Yet on a team that has surprised the country during its undefeated rise to the top of the rankings, Chong has emerged as the backbone. Steady game after game, she has managed to consistently hit shots, distribute passes and handle the ball efficiently without turning it over.

I have on good authority from one of our resident experts that "steady" isn't what we want for UConn's point guard. :rolleyes:
Huh?!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have no issue calling Saniya the backbone. It does just what it sounds like - holds up the rest of they body and gives it all the support it needs. That's pretty much what Saniya does. Nothing ever really flashy, but she's very stingy with turnovers, will shoot and score when open, and I think is a calming factor for the rest of the team. I am SO happy for Saniya this year and so glad that she's playing up to the potential that everyone saw in her. I hope she's having a blast because she sure should be! :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Excuse me, but the "huh" was in response to a comment that, on good authority, "steady" is not what we want in a UCONN point guard. Steady, as in Saniya's play, is exactly what we want! I love Saniya and have cited her play many times this year, including a well received recommendation for a badass award!

Reaction Score
Awhile back the yard was asking who was the most important player on the team. I could not answer that question to my own satisfaction but instead I thought of the team as a race car. Saniya was the driver and the other four were the wheels. During a race(game) if one of the tires had a flat would Saniya crash or finish the race? As a fan of hers I think she can finish the race. Fingers crossed that scenario doesn't come up

Reaction Score
Great article on Chong. Glad to see that she is finally showing her worth and getting credit for it.

Reaction Score
Dangerfield-Alimentary system,trying to digest enough information to be of the immense help to this team that we are all hoping for.

Reaction Score
I've been a big booster of Saniya & Natalie from the beginning and I'm thrilled they're performing at such a high level!

Reaction Score
Excuse me, but the "huh" was in response to a comment that, on good authority, "steady" is not what we want in a UCONN point guard. Steady, as in Saniya's play, is exactly what we want! I love Saniya and have cited her play many times this year, including a well received recommendation for a badass award!

In one of the earlier games a poster was disappointed with how Saniya was playing and when someone said "She is steady," it may have been nan who said it-- the poster said "I don't want steady from a senior." I know nan responded to that. But it may have ben her who said it. There may have been a "like or two" for the poster that made the snide steady comment.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Saniya - backbone
Gabby - muscular system
Nurse - immune system
Samuelson - sensory system
Collier - pulmonary system

solar system-

713b9592c6410b0f730f6a7067002b2f.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
We have won titles with a steady point guard, see Maria Conlon.

Reaction Score
We have won titles with a steady point guard, see Maria Conlon.
This is the comparison I would make also. I remember after the TASS graduation when Geno et. al. were looking around for a lot of replacements. One spot of particular concern was point guard. Every day the staff would wonder who would play point. And every day there would be Maria doing all the things the position demanded. Not spectacularly, but credibly for sure. As Geno himself reported, one day he just looked over at CD and said I think we found our point guard. Two championships later and the Sage of Storrs was proven right again.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score

Sorry , I misinterpreted your "huh". Gave you a double "like" for your trouble though.

Reaction Score
A double "like"; is that like receiving a badass award?!......:):):)
Thank you!

Reaction Score
A double "like"; is that like receiving a badass award?!.:):):)
Thank you!
I pride* myself in knowing conversion rates and I just learned a new one.

Two "likes" yield three "smiley faces." (Does anyone know if that property is reflexive, i.e., do 3 smilies yield 2 likes?)

* in this post, "pride" means "am aware of a couple three."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Saniya - backbone
Gabby - muscular system
Nurse - immune system
Samuelson - sensory system
Collier - pulmonary system
Lou was our digestive system at the Maryland game. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom