Saniya et al. at 119-1 and counting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Saniya et al. at 119-1 and counting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Chong got burned on a defensive assignment horn blows, she's out... Dangerfield in. Few plays later KLS gets burned, play continues! All I the first quarter (finally watching game this morning)

Chong got caught in a screen but no one covered her back.

Happens every game to almost every player- watch closely next time you watch a game. It's part of the game.

Reaction Score
To be clear- I didn't mean that Saniya still doesn't have "confidence". I do think that she might've lost it for awhile after that game. She looked hesitant and would only take threes and missed them for a lot of that season.

I think she got her confidence back just fine.

Reaction Score

Happens every game to almost every player- watch closely next time you watch a game. It's part of the game.
Lots of talk about confidence---what you just pointed out is Geno's confidence level--over the course of 20 years or so--Geno makes judgements about certain players and hardly ever changes his REAL (not for publication) view. His comment (unfortunately and wrongly published) that "you can't trust her" (her being Saniya) probably sums up his thought. He had some "trust' issues with Moriah and gave her the quick yank in ND games--after the NCAA's she was "his girl". Too late for Chong on that point.

Reaction Score
Lots of talk about confidence---what you just pointed out is Geno's confidence level--over the course of 20 years or so--Geno makes judgements about certain players and hardly ever changes his REAL (not for publication) view. His comment (unfortunately and wrongly published) that "you can't trust her" (her being Saniya) probably sums up his thought. He had some "trust' issues with Moriah and gave her the quick yank in ND games--after the NCAA's she was "his girl". Too late for Chong on that point.
I think he "trusts" her. He put her back in. Maybe he wanted to remind her about how he wanted her to handle the screens.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

exactly... so why did Geno pull her?

Reaction Score

Saniya went over the screen before the player she was guarding went over and her player cross dribbled the other way. She was off balance and gave up. the rotation was awful also. what they have to realize is there is no Stewie or Kia Stokes to clean up the mistakes

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Wow she went hard to the paint for the "And 1" in the forth quarter

Reaction Score
I'm uncomfortable passing judgment on Saniya--on her play and especially on her alleged state of mind. Not only because of course all the players deserve our support. But the fact is, I don't think UConn can win an NC without her playing effectively: 8-10 points with minimal turn-overs in at least 15 minutes of action.

Natalie is proving herself a capable sub in most (not all) situations. She can spell the "bigs" (a relative term this year!). But who spells Kia and Crystal? They need an honest 3 guard rotation, and can't yet depend on Molly for that. Or, if Kyla makes a leap (not yet seen), they can rotate everyone around so that Lou goes to the 2 for several minutes. You can see how fragile all this is and how it depends on one or both of these 2 freshmen to play beyond current expectations.

UConn needs Saniya!
I would like to think that we could get 8-10 points and 15 minutes out of Saniya without any negative sides (defensive lapses) but I'm not that optimistic. She has had her moments but she has been totally inconsistent in the past. There has been some nights she brings it and other nights she's shown herself to falter badly. I didn't like the premise 119-1, seemingly implying that she was A KEY to victories in that marvelous string of UConn success, which is certainly not accurate. There's only been a handful of games where she's made herself felt and been a factor.

Reaction Score
Chong got burned on a defensive assignment horn blows, she's out... Dangerfield in. Few plays later KLS gets burned, play continues! All I the first quarter (finally watching game this morning)
I didn't think Lou got exactly burned. She slide down and pretty much kept herself between the opponent and the basket, but her opponent did manage to get the angle. It wasn't great defense, but, unlike Saniya, she certainly wasn't left flatfooted. I think that's a big difference.

Reaction Score
you think Stewie or Nurse performed extremely well in EVERY practice?

Stewie never traveled... Im sure she's been called for it, was that "lack of confidence" or indecisive. I just have a problem with the term "lack of confidence".

We all lack it, even in some of the things we do best.

Chong and Charde are who they are... but we continue to attach "lack of confidence" to them. Nurse isn't lacking... oh she's just exhausted from paying with Team Canada. Nurse isn't worried about Geno snatching her outta the line-up like Chong may be. Why isn't anyone asking for Dangerfield to replace Nurse in the line-up, Nurse has struggled (no info about tonight's game).

You slack once in a while, or go the other way when its time to rack leaves or shovel snow... do you "lack confidence".

KIESUHS... unscramble that. may take you 10 seconds may take someone else 10 minutes, we see things differently... even on the court (indecisive) doesnt mean you "lack confidence". The effort is there.

lack of confidence, between the ear... headcase just terms that are too casually used in sports. Didn't Gabby Williams recently mention that she is "lacking confidence"... really Gabby!

Geno calls "play A" while in the huddle... the other team disrupt the play with their defense (some teams arent going to like UConn just run stuff... ND is one of them)... now Chong has to "decide" to do something else, everyone is out of position now... Chong travels. Damn it Saniya, you lack confidence.

just weird... or Im just lacking confidence in trying to explain "my point"

and with Crystal Dangerfield playing well enough... Geno has options!

I like this posting----in todays world nearly everyone expects perfection-=--in others. I like your dissertation on Lacking Confidence.
I like the comment --Stewie didn't make mistakes?? If you read many of my postings--I often times put in my favorites---
Never say Never---and--the truest of true--people are human--human's make mistakes--we are wired that way--perfection is NOT within our grip--but we can chase it. I'm human--don't ask me what I said or did 40 years ago--you may not like the answer--but like you I evolved--thinking humans evolve.

Reaction Score
I didn't think Lou got exactly burned. She slide down and pretty much kept herself between the opponent and the basket, but her opponent did manage to get the angle. It wasn't great defense, but, unlike Saniya, she certainly wasn't left flatfooted. I think that's a big difference.

If you look at the fast, quick , smaller teams Uconn has played in the last 4 years---getting "burned" i.e. allowing smart (intelligent people who think the game) to fly by defenders caused lots of concern --even by the coaches. The Dayton and Syracuse (both first halves) found it easy, way too easy, to dribble drive, penetrate and score or dish to the 3, it was/is a weakness of the help defense Uconn plays--keep the ball moving and drive and wait for a defender to miss a defense covering. (whole lot for you to disagree with here) Stanford with their quick guards took full advantage of Uconn's inability to stop the basket attacks.

Reaction Score

Saniya wasn't caught flatfooted. She got picked off by a screen.

When that happens, do you know what's supposed to happen regarding UCONN?

The teammate that's guarding the person who set the screen is supposed to switch off and cover the player who's driving.

So who's the person at fault here? (Sometimes I wonder if some of the posters here ever played basketball) *shakes head*

Saniya might be criticized for not yelling "switch" but switching is supposed to be automatic if you're playing man to man defense.

PS: if they tried that when Kiah was playing it'd be an automatic
"stuff in yer face".

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Im sure someone got burned here... but the Eraser was back there to clean up the mess. Who was back there for Saniya?
512x.jpg

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
30901325.jpg

Reaction Score
Dangerfield just got burned... Chong wasn't subbed in for her smh

First off Chong is a Senior and Dangerfield is a Freshman. Secondly, do you not see how much better the team runs with Dangerfield instead of Chong?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
First off Chong is a Senior and Dangerfield is a Freshman. Secondly, do you not see how much better the team runs with Dangerfield instead of Chong?
players get burned in the WNBA, it happens!

Dangerfield is a true PG... Chong isnt!

Reaction Score
players get burned in the WNBA, it happens!

Dangerfield is a true PG... Chong isnt!

True. The players that continually get burned and don't learn from their mistakes also don't play very much.

I don't care if Dangerfield is a juggling magician. If the team runs better with her in the game then she should play a lot more!

Reaction Score

This ^^^^^

The teams play smoother and better with Dangerfield in. Chong doesn't move around enough on offense, she is too stationary; and unfortunately for her, she is slow on defense and doesn't have the speed to overcome a quick first step/move.

I would love for Chong to get better, but I don't see her game improving anymore. It is, what it is. Lack of confidence? Not so sure, especially after the 3 point against Maryland last year. I would have thought that would have been the stepping stone. But it wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom