Saniya et al. at 119-1 and counting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Saniya et al. at 119-1 and counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Saniya seems to be moving well tonight (and this year). That's a positive in itself.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Swin Cash could do no wrong in Geno's eyes, no matter how she played or practiced, so her teammates lovingly called her "precious."

Gotcha. Thanks for the response.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Saniya played a key role in that single loss: providing essential offensive fire power (2nd leading scorer to Stewie, IIRC), but letting down on defense. When Kia (in her 2nd game as a freshman) fouled out and Saniya came in again, Stanford rallied (though certainly not all Saniya's fault, by any means--Kiah's unfortunate shot was the single moment). And UConn wouldn't have come as close as they did without her.

But it doesn't sit comfortably with me that many seem to think that her inconsistent play is at least partially due to coaching decisions that hurt her "self-confidence" (I agree with JudgeSCR above). That strikes me as pop psychology several times removed from any real information. We really have no way of assessing what causes Saniya to be such a precise and effective player some moments and not at other times.

Geno's greatest trait, consistently reaffirmed by his former players, is his (at times brutal) honesty. You come to UConn, you get told the truth as Coach sees it. The team is comfortable that everyone gets treated the same (well, 'cept for "Precious" but the exception proves the rule). Even Stewie gets benched. If Geno starts overcompensating for what he would be guessing as one player's supposed fragility, then everyone begins to question how he treats each of them and why.

We already had a thread on whether or when Crystal begins to start. Some believe (and they know a lot more than I) that Geno always honors seniors by keeping them as starters and just subbing quickly. But does (say) Saniya gain more confidence because she's starting but is the first to be subbed for by a superstar freshman? Or does she gain more confidence by reconciling that she is now the sixth man and is sent in for a specific purpose? And is it really "a lack of confidence" that accounts for her inconsistent play?* I have absolutely no idea. But neither does anyone else, including Saniya, unless or until it happens.

*And is it worrisome that we sometimes attribute to Saniya and Kia psychological reasons for inconsistent play? Is that gender bias? Do we attribute to male basketball players who play inconsistently the same "lack of confidence"? Just asking; I really don't know.

"lack of confidence".... I hate it hate it hate it when others use that term! Geno has a "lack of confidence" in his decision making as well.

Saniya is a "scoring machine"... she's not "lacking confidence" about playing basketball but she may not like how Geno rides her a** now and while Jefferson was around cause she can be replaced (Crystal Dangerfield). He did the same thing with Charde... I'd love to hear what some players really think of him. Yeah I know... I know, he's a Hall Of Fame Coach with 11 Championships etc. blah blah blah I know.

Im proud of how Saniya and Charde stuck it out... thru all of their "lack of confidence". Strong young ladies

Reaction Score
The lack of court confidence and indecisiveness is not her fault.
Really! When there's players before her and after her that have displayed much more confidence and been appreciably more decisive????? This is out and out silly!

Reaction Score
"lack of confidence".... I hate it hate it hate it when others use that term! Geno has a "lack of confidence" in his decision making as well.

Saniya is a "scoring machine"... she's not "lacking confidence" about playing basketball but she may not like how Geno rides her a** now and while Jefferson was around cause she can be replaced (Crystal Dangerfield). He did the same thing with Charde... I'd love to hear what some players really think of him. Yeah I know... I know, he's a Hall Of Fame Coach with 11 Championships etc. blah blah blah I know.

Im proud of how Saniya and Charde stuck it out... thru all of their "lack of confidence". Strong young ladies
I can understand how Geno had it in for Saniya and Charde! You're so so right! You do know I'm being totally facetious. You somehow feel that he was denying a couple of players who could have easily enhanced his job as a coach for some mysterious reason. That is about as silly an innuendo as I've heard since becoming a Boneyarder. There's an expectation to play at a certain level in practice in order to get playing time and of course, to perform under game conditions. There are certain players that struggle to perform in certain programs. There have been major league All-Star type players that could not perform on the New York stage with the Yankee's but might be capable of in other markets. It's not just Geno's but also Chris's input that dictates playing time. I'm still in a bit of shock that I'm hearing this type of comment, particularly with someone whose commentary I so often enjoy and agree with.

Reaction Score

I respect Saniya and Charde for continuing to hang in there and work to be the type player that would warrant getting loads of playing time and contributing to the team success we all expect from the UConn women's basketball team.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I can understand how Geno had it in for Saniya and Charde! You're so so right! You do know I'm being totally facetious. You somehow feel that he was denying a couple of players who could have easily enhanced his job as a coach for some mysterious reason. That is about as silly an innuendo as I've heard since becoming a Boneyarder. There's an expectation to play at a certain level in practice in order to get playing time and of course, to perform under game conditions. There are certain players that struggle to perform in certain programs. There have been major league All-Star type players that could not perform on the New York stage with the Yankee's but might be capable of in other markets (lack of confidence?). It's not just Geno's but also Chris's input that dictates playing time. I'm still in a bit of shock that I'm hearing this type of comment, particularly with someone whose commentary I so often enjoy and agree with.
you think Stewie or Nurse performed extremely well in EVERY practice?

Stewie never traveled... Im sure she's been called for it, was that "lack of confidence" or indecisive. I just have a problem with the term "lack of confidence".

We all lack it, even in some of the things we do best.

Chong and Charde are who they are... but we continue to attach "lack of confidence" to them. Nurse isn't lacking... oh she's just exhausted from paying with Team Canada. Nurse isn't worried about Geno snatching her outta the line-up like Chong may be. Why isn't anyone asking for Dangerfield to replace Nurse in the line-up, Nurse has struggled (no info about tonight's game).

You slack once in a while, or go the other way when its time to rack leaves or shovel snow... do you "lack confidence".

KIESUHS... unscramble that. may take you 10 seconds may take someone else 10 minutes, we see things differently... even on the court (indecisive) doesnt mean you "lack confidence". The effort is there.

lack of confidence, between the ear... headcase just terms that are too casually used in sports. Didn't Gabby Williams recently mention that she is "lacking confidence"... really Gabby!

Geno calls "play A" while in the huddle... the other team disrupt the play with their defense (some teams arent going to like UConn just run stuff... ND is one of them)... now Chong has to "decide" to do something else, everyone is out of position now... Chong travels. Damn it Saniya, you lack confidence.

just weird... or Im just lacking confidence in trying to explain "my point"

and with Crystal Dangerfield playing well enough... Geno has options!

Reaction Score

Stewie never traveled... Im sure she's been called for it, was that "lack of confidence" or indecisive. I just have a problem with the term "lack of confidence".

We all lack it, even in some of the things we do best.

Chong and Charde are who they are... but we continue to attach "lack of confidence" to them. Nurse isn't lacking... oh she's just exhausted from paying with Team Canada. Nurse isn't worried about Geno snatching her outta the line-up like Chong may be. Why isn't anyone asking for Dangerfield to replace Nurse in the line-up, Nurse has struggled (no info about tonight's game).

You slack once in a while, or go the other way when its time to rack leaves or shovel snow... do you "lack confidence".

KIESUHS... unscramble that. may take you 10 seconds may take someone else 10 minutes, we see things differently... even on the court (indecisive) doesnt mean you "lack confidence". The effort is there.

lack of confidence, between the ear... headcase just terms that are too casually used in sports. Didn't Gabby Williams recently mention that she is "lacking confidence"... really Gabby!

Geno calls "play A" while in the huddle... the other team disrupt the play with their defense (some teams arent going to like UConn just run stuff... ND is one of them)... now Chong has to "decide" to do something else, everyone is out of position now... Chong travels. Damn it Saniya, you lack confidence.

just weird... or Im just lacking confidence in trying to explain "my point"

and with Crystal Dangerfield playing well enough... Geno has options!
I do know that on the men's side I felt Jim Calhoun really railed guys like Travis Knight who had some skills and at the first sign of any negative, a missed rebound or a defensive lapse, he was out of the game for extended lengths of time. I do feel that he didn't develop anywhere near as quickly or as much as he would have had Calhoun had more patience with him and tolerance. After a while, he was so gunshy that he was just a shell of who he was capable of being. I remember one time he was fouled and shooting two shots on a shot that he somewhat forced up and he kept looking at the bench as he was approaching the foul line. After his first attempt the horn went off for a substitution and his head whirled around toward the bench, thinking that it must have been to replace him (because of his poor shot choice) even though he was still at the foul line shooting his second foul shot. That's how bad Calhoun got into his head, so I do know something about allowing someone to find themselves when they have the ability to perform. I don't think Geno is anything like Calhoun though there might be some head case stuff that could hurt someone's confidence, I guess.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I do know that on the men's side I felt Jim Calhoun really railed guys like Travis Knight who had some skills and at the first sign of any negative, a missed rebound or a defensive lapse, he was out of the game for extended lengths of time. I do feel that he didn't develop anywhere near as quickly or as much as he would have had Calhoun had more patience with him and tolerance. After a while, he was so gunshy that he was just a shell of who he was capable of being. I remember one time he was fouled and shooting two shots on a shot that he somewhat forced up and he kept looking at the bench as he was approaching the foul line. After his first attempt the horn went off for a substitution and his head whirled around toward the bench, thinking that it must have been to replace him (because of his poor shot choice) even though he was still at the foul line shooting his second foul shot. That's how bad Calhoun got into his head, so I do know something about allowing someone to find themselves when they have the ability to perform. I don't think Geno is anything like Calhoun though there might be some head case stuff that could hurt someone's confidence, I guess.
we use to laugh at how quick Calhoun pulled players... he was brutal

Reaction Score
KJ, Ms Johnson, was one of my favorites--she was a very good point guard who also was an exceptional 3 point shooter. We spoke to her in the stands at Gampel --all alone--the team 50 feet away. Easy to talk to--. I was not pleased with her transfer-my heart still has a warm place for her.
KJ was a lot better than saniya is

Reaction Score

Didn't Gabby Williams recently mention that she is "lacking confidence"... really Gabby!

Daddy, this statement alone refutes your argument. Gabby is complaining that the lack of confidence is limiting her performance. It is widely accepted that no one performs their best without confidence in any walk of life.
You should watch "The King's Speech".:)

Reaction Score
I'm uncomfortable passing judgment on Saniya--on her play and especially on her alleged state of mind. Not only because of course all the players deserve our support. But the fact is, I don't think UConn can win an NC without her playing effectively: 8-10 points with minimal turn-overs in at least 15 minutes of action.

Natalie is proving herself a capable sub in most (not all) situations. She can spell the "bigs" (a relative term this year!). But who spells Kia and Crystal? They need an honest 3 guard rotation, and can't yet depend on Molly for that. Or, if Kyla makes a leap (not yet seen), they can rotate everyone around so that Lou goes to the 2 for several minutes. You can see how fragile all this is and how it depends on one or both of these 2 freshmen to play beyond current expectations.

UConn needs Saniya!

Reaction Score
I'm uncomfortable passing judgment on Saniya--on her play and especially on her alleged state of mind. Not only because of course all the players deserve our support. But the fact is, I don't think UConn can win an NC without her playing effectively: 8-10 points with minimal turn-overs in at least 15 minutes of action.

Natalie is proving herself a capable sub in most (not all) situations. She can spell the "bigs" (a relative term this year!). But who spells Kia and Crystal? They need an honest 3 guard rotation, and can't yet depend on Molly for that. Or, if Kyla makes a leap (not yet seen), they can rotate everyone around so that Lou goes to the 2 for several minutes. You can see how fragile all this is and how it depends on one or both of these 2 freshmen to play beyond current expectations.

UConn needs Saniya!
Bags---Judgement on a BB player for most of us lacks knowledge. I'm not certain Uconn, if the opportunity arises, could NOT win the NC without Chong. Whether Uconn can or can't the fact remains---the team needs her--she has experience only time can give. She may not be as fluid in movements as Dangerfield, Moriah, or others--but when she wants to be, she can be effective. We just need more of her "want to be" moments.
Molly shall be very good, hopefully before the end of the February. I liked in the Dayton that she came and and with Saniya's insistence hoisted a 3, it missed--but Geno wants kids to make a difference immediately when they come off the bench--that shot to me was a statement. She played like a Frosh--because she is a frosh.
Kyla too immediately tired to make an impact. She came in and put her big ,effective, butt on the lower parts of Dayton's big and pushed.
She knows what has to be done. Didn't look lost in the game and moves without the ball. She'll arrive soon.
I also agree that 8 to 10 points from Chong would go a long long way to relieve pressure on Gabby, Napeesa and KLS to do it all.

Geno/UCWBB needs all his experienced people to be consistent--he needs to know when they go --this is what he'll get--at this point that isn't a given -except (mostly) Collier, Gabby, Katie lou

Reaction Score

OOOOOOh what you said!! I could high light most of this posting--because I agree with some of it. Charde was taken to SD state for her homecoming and rested most of the first half on the bench--???? Humans are not perfect, make mistakes--Geno is human.

Reaction Score
I think Saniya got very reasonable minutes for how she played. Mostly she was serviceable but not impactful. She had a couple of defensive lapses that make coaches nuts, but she is obviously working at it and played solidly when she came back in. IMO, she needs to use her offensive skills more. She shouldn't be scared of getting pulled for missing good shots as I dont recall that happening, it has always been defense that is the issue. But if she doesn't get more aggressive and assertive on the offensive end, she wont have anything to offer! So far the team is playing better with Crystal, but she is still needed and I think she will continue to get some good minutes to try to mesh her with the team.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Chong got burned on a defensive assignment horn blows, she's out... Dangerfield in. Few plays later KLS gets burned, play continues! All I the first quarter (finally watching game this morning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom