Saniya Chong - post season impressions | The Boneyard

Saniya Chong - post season impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At Full Court.com/forum/prep, I found this compilation of one man's impressions concerning Saniya Chong as she played in the post season (2012). I thought some of you might be interested in reading it. Click on this LINK to get to it. Make sure, as you read, you continue to scroll down as there are several additions to his first entry.
Enjoy.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
an awful lot of positives in the article, but was a bit surprised on her "lack" of defense...

--She does not follow her shot and does not compete for rebounds—very unlike the high school Hartley. She just watches her teammates do that job, even though she is the second or third tallest player on the team.
-- Doesn’t rotate to play help defense on someone who’s not her man.
-- Doesn’t pursue a player who gets by her, again very unlike Hartley.
-- Just gives up when she is screened. Doesn’t try to fight over or through the pick or screen.
-- Doesn’t cut much or move without the ball once she passes it off. She should be in constant motion to receive passes as well as delivering them.

the writer goes on to say that all of the "negatives" are fixable with coaching, but i have to wonder if what he saw has to do with effort and intensity of play. i have no idea what most of the kids Geno goes to see look like. I do recall seeing Charde in HS and she indeed did do a lot of standing around. when she exerted herself you could see how talented she was, but often there were rare bursts of activity followed by long periods of lulls and standing around.

maybe that's something many HS kids do. Geno made some comments bemoaning how HS post players just like to stand around, and he made those comments very shortly on the heels of seeing Taya Reimer play. perhaps that's one reason UCONN cooled on her. perhaps it's also one of the reasons UCONN hasn't offered her yet...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hey - where is that quote from in your signature?

sTu

Reaction Score

Well, you can wait until someone does the "work" for you or you could copy and paste the quote into a google search.... and viola.

Reaction Score
I found the comments that Uconn could regret having Moriah J instead of Chong, who he speculated could be/is better, to be off base (IMHO). Admittedly I've just seen both on film, but from what I saw the athleticism, speed, intensity, quickness of MJ are far superior to Chong. I'd like to have Chong on our team, but I have a hard time picturing her being able to put up similar numbers to what she does in high school against the competition she would see playing at Uconn. And I think if MJ was guarding her in practice, Chong could look pretty average.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We've seen the initial story before. The follow-ups are new to me.

Glenn calls her the most misranked player in history--easily top 20, possibly top 10. Plays like the great Lenny Wilkens.

"Humph, I just looked for at the HoopGurlz 2013 rankings, and Saniya Chong is not in their top 60. This is most definitely wrong, probably because they have never seen her. I have seen most of HG’s top 10 players on USA Basketball and other places. Chong is definitely a top 20 player, probably top 10, and may be the best PG in the class though I haven't seen all the ones on the HG list. Chong is better, in my current opinion, than 2012's Jordan Adams, Jordan Jones and Briana Butler, all of whom are in HG's top 15 for the 2012 class."

He thinks she may be better than MoJeff and may not choose UConn because of MoJeff's presence.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think the quote was made by one of the K-State players after UCONN dismantled them in the NCAA 2nd round this past year...

Reaction Score
Well, you can wait until someone does the "work" for you or you could copy and paste the quote into a google search.... and viola.

Here is the article where the quote was taken from: LINK
Wonkster!....I found it! click on the above link......thank's to sTu with the very helpful advice!

Reaction Score
We've seen the initial story before. The follow-ups are new to me.

He thinks she may be better than MoJeff and may not choose UConn because of MoJeff's presence.

As I said above, I think this is just flat out WRONG. I like Chong, but it feels like she is being mis-marketed in a way that is not quite accurate by an adult who is trying to shine a spotlight on himself. Uconn will be more than just fine if she goes elsewhere. I'm more than VERY content with MoJeff rather than Chong - no way I could possibly give that trade a second thought.

Reaction Score
At Full Court.com/forum/prep, I found this compilation of one man's impressions concerning Saniya Chong as she played in the post season (2012). I thought some of you might be interested in reading it. Click on this LINK to get to it. Make sure, as you read, you continue to scroll down as there are several additions to his first entry.
Enjoy.

TIME - terrific. Know you put alot of time into this. I really groove on detailed reports of this sort, ESPECIALLY when someone is willing to point on the both the pros and the cons. Well done and very interesting.

Reaction Score
Maybe some of that is why she hasn't apparently been offered.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As I said above, I think this is just flat out WRONG. I like Chong, but it feels like she is being mis-marketed in a way that is not quite accurate by an adult who is trying to shine a spotlight on himself. Uconn will be more than just fine if she goes elsewhere. I'm more than VERY content with MoJeff rather than Chong - no way I could possibly give that trade a second thought.
I think he said he had not seen MoJeff, so she will surprise him.

I think there is room for both of them in the post-Bria years.

Reaction Score
Better than mojeff?? that man must be nuts Smh. If Chong was in the 2012 class she would be in the same predicament as now still no offer from uconn

Reaction Score
Chong and MoJeff wil have a chance to go at each other at USA trails. Without Alexis jones MoJeff would definitely make the team.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Do I understand correctly...the gentleman reporting is a self-annointed women's basketball guru? The article has a weird vibe to it. Aside from promoting himself, it seems the writer is attempting to project a zero-sum-game narrative and perhaps create doubt in Saniya's mind about potential PT at UConn. Since when can't two great guards co-exist in UConn's backcourt [Bird/Taurasi].

And to even suggest anything other than a sublime future for MJ & UConn is passive aggressively negative. Does he have an axe to grind with UConn, or is he trying to raise his visibility by stirring-up the fan base of the games pre-eminent wcbb program?

Saniya and Moriah have the potential to become one of the greatest guard tandems in wcbb history! :)

Reaction Score
I found it interesting that he said it would be UConn's loss if we didn't get Saniya. I don't understand how he can come to that conclusion without having seen Moriah play in person. I'm sure Saniya is very talented but Moriah didn't get her #2 ranking for nothing. Like others have said, I don't see why they couldn't coexist.

Reaction Score
Better than mojeff?? that man must be nuts Smh.

Exactly!!!! I tried to say the same thing delicately, but was thinking it MUCH more explicitly and crudely than what you said. That man has zero credibility after that comment.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I found it interesting that he said it would be UConn's loss if we didn't get Saniya. I don't understand how he can come to that conclusion without having seen Moriah play in person. I'm sure Saniya is very talented but Moriah didn't get her #2 ranking for nothing. Like others have said, I don't see why they couldn't coexist.
That's what I'm talking about. I love everything I've seen and read about Saniya (the player and the person). He could have simply written the article heaping praise on Saniya and left it at that. There was no reason (other than having an agenda) to get into a hypothetical about whose a better fit for UConn. That's not reporting, that's editorializing. MJ is coming. Period. We'd love to have Saniya also and there's room at the Inn.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I agree in the fact that there is plenty of room for both MJ and Chong. I'm really interested to see where she lands when the 2013 top 100 rankings come out!

I have seen MJ play and she is electric!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The guy has an agenda pure and simply, nothing more.

Reaction Score
The guy has an agenda pure and simple, nothing more.
An agenda of long-standing duration, I might add.

But consider this: Glenn couldn't even get the date right for the duel between Breanna and Saniya. While we were following the on-site blogger's game report on Friday in real time or delayed here on the 'Yard, he was home brushing his teeth in preparation for his trip to the non-existent meeting on Saturday. LOL!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
He lost my attention when he started crowing about his high-end (I assume) camera equipment and tripod with disc breaks and rack & pinion steering (or whatever the hell it is).

Reaction Score
anyone know what AAU team she plays for?
I would love to get to see her play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99