Saniya Chong IMO will be the next Renee Montgomery after this season | The Boneyard

Saniya Chong IMO will be the next Renee Montgomery after this season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Saniya's game will improve 5 fold before the NCAA tournament IMO. She hit the normal freshmen wall that they all hit. You will see a huge improvement in her game. I think what happened last season to Stewie has happened to Saniya this year. She is now unleashed to be herself...Lookout!!

UCONN's injuries are a blessing for her.....

U

UCONNfan1

My only caveat would be I think Saniya will win 2 or 3 (or even 4) NC's. Renee I think only had 1... (listen to me - Renee ONLY had 1 NC - that's something 99% of the WCBB players never get to say)...

Reaction Score
Saniya's game will improve 5 fold before the NCAA tournament IMO. She hit the normal freshmen wall that they all hit. You will see a huge improvement in her game. I think what happened last season to Stewie has happened to Saniya this year. She is now unleashed to be herself...Lookout!!

I like Saniya's game but boy, there are some people here who see things in her that I don't. I feel she is a nice contributor and she'll continue to strengthen and improve but I'd be quite surprised if she were to become an All-American. JMO!

Reaction Score

What kind of drug are you taking ?

Reaction Score
The difference is that Renee Montgomery started as a freshman and played major minutes which allowed her to grow as a player and gain confidence and IMHO Saniya {although she is starting to do that} has not gotten enough confidence in her game yet. She may develop a little slower.

Reaction Score
Great post that RM was forced to play her freshmen year..........Time will tell and she has a dynamite 3 Point shot that will only get better and she will get much stronger. Plus, next season, UCONN will have 4 PG's looking for PT.........The off season pick up games will be fun to watch..........

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Man, jsloan, you certainly know how to stir things up, and you've done it so radically that for the first-last-only time I have to agree with sawx on something. And rather than gut opinions and vaguely remembered recollections, the stats always are where to look for real info.

Sky is always the limit, but no UConn player has reached the exalted level of Renee's final level in college off of less than 20 minutes as a freshman. Saniya's kind of a unique type, but I would project more realistically for Saniya as possibly something on the level of Tiff Hayes, which is pretty good, but even she got 26 mpg her freshman year.

Note that other than the big minutes difference between Saniya and Renee, if you extrapolate from Saniya's current 19.4 minutes to Renee's 27.9 minutes, you'd find that they are pretty equal in ppg, Saniya would average about 1 more rpg, and Renee would be about 0.4 apg ahead. Saniya's shooting percentages are better for FG%, 3-pt FG%, and FT%. Renee was hugely ahead in steals, and Saniya is better on the blocks. What it all adds up to is two quite similar freshman players (extrapolated statwise), with the vital difference that one got a lot of minutes, and the other is averaging less than 20.

But there are other huge differences. Renee kind of assumed the role of PG on the 2005-06 team, though it was a shared responsibility with sophomore Ketia Swanier. She was vitally needed to fill that position. Like Renee, Saniya is really a guard who can switch easily between the SG\PG roles, but she is on a team with a PG named MoJeff who well fits the standard role of PG that Renee kind of skirted between with the SG role in her years at UConn, much like DT did in her final two years at UConn. Being the PG puts the ball in your hands all the time, and Saniya will likely not play a major PG role for her first three years at UConn.

Now where I would differ from most posters is the degree to which Saniya ever hit that fabled "freshman wall" and how deeply she plunged into some horrible hole of freshmanitis. Early in the year when she was getting lots of minutes (23 mpg at one point), she reached a peak of 7.9 ppg, 2.6 apg, and 2.o apg marks at her tenth game, whereafter she went into some fantasy tailspin that left her at her current 5.9 ppg, 2.2 apg, and 1.9 apg while getting about 20% less minutes than earlier. So, factoring in the less minutes, her tragic plunge off the freshman wall has left her with about 1 ppg less in her last 13 games and a better assists ratio. Yes I know her coach is asking her for more production, but he asks that of every player, especially young and impressionable freshmen.

So, I'm thinking that the wall Saniya hit might have been made of nice fluffy snow and not some tough bricks, though others can paint it up as some deadly Berlin-type edifice. The future is bright for Saniya, and jsloan, maybe pvdoggy will be asking for some of what you've been smoking three years down the road, or maybe not. There are some odds against Saniya, but she's a tough kid that has already shown in her life that she can get through some rough stuff. I'm not betting against her just yet.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Renee made Tina and Maya's job easier... she also left them with some swag the following season!

Renee's leadership was off the chart... Saniya has too many AA's (Dolson, Hartley, KML, BStew and MoJett) ahead of her to take control.

and she should hope that none of the new guys next year has that Renee swag or hopefully she gains it during the off-season

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score

I hope u r right JSjr- If it happened by next spring I'd be thrilled! U aren't drinking any of Tony C's "Koolaide" tonight -R U? :)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO Saniya will have a career similar to Mel Thomas. I believe the recruits coming in next year will give Saniya a run for the starting position and it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the recruits get the starting nod over Saniya. Also lets not forget Brianna Banks if she's able to play next year completely healthy she'll be competing for a starting position as well.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think the starting nod will go to Banks , if healthy. Once the recruits , Banks , and Saniya hit Fall practice , all things being equal , the starting spot will go to the senior......Saniya will have to clearly out play Banks for the starting spot and I don't think she will . IMHO , Banks is a very good athlete when healthy with superior defensive capabilities. And she has a size advantage over Chong.

Should be an interesting battle for the starting spot between Saniya and Banks. With the Freshmen thrown in for good measure to keep the battle heated up.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well I saw Saniya play in HS. She did it all. I have seen signs of some of that and signs of her deferring to upper classman. When she is more comfortable and does more dribble drives and a little more of creating her own shot with confidence you will see a different player. She hasn't stepped up yet and I believe its because of the talent surrounding her. What she has done has been very good. Lets give her some time and I think we will all be surprised.

Reaction Score
Well I saw Saniya play in HS. She did it all. I have seen signs of some of that and signs of her deferring to upper classman. When she is more comfortable and does more dribble drives and a little more of creating her own shot with confidence you will see a different player. She hasn't stepped up yet and I believe its because of the talent surrounding her. What she has done has been very good. Lets give her some time and I think we will all be surprised.

Totally agree Tony! Once Saniya gets more confidence and plays without being afraid of making mistakes she is going to be a nightmare for teams to guard. It is my feeling that she will not only be a great offensive player that can score at will, but also a defensive wizard. She no doubt has Mo Jet speed which is something you can't teach.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It's always a balancing act with freshman. As Geno has noted, some come in and are super confident and know-it-all and want to do things their way, sometimes just to show up their coach for trying to correct some problem tendencies. They tend to make a lot of mistakes and it often takes quite a while to get them sorted out during their freshman year and convince them that even though they have super abilities, they still have a lot to learn and can't let their heads get too swelled or try to do too much on the court. If everything works out right, they can go on to be the FF's MOP in their freshman year.

And then there are freshmen who enter UConn a little less assured of their superstar qualities and are intent on fitting in and gradually learning every detail of the UConn system. Maybe they need a confidence booster sometimes, but as Geno says, "I don't worry about Saniya." She doesn't go for 25 points and she also doesn't make a lot of costly mistakes, or really much of any kind of mistakes. He knows she's doing really nicely and is on the road to being a great UConn player.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
KML, TBS and MoJet will definitely start. I think that Kiah will start also. As for the fifth starter, it will be Morgan, Saniya or BB, with, I think, equal probabilities at this time, assuming and hoping that Morgan's knee is fully mended. Which of the frosh will emerge as the eighth regular, if any, is impossible to predict. They are all great prospects. But I will be amazed if any of them crack the starting lineup, in the normal course of events.

As far as Saniya's future prospects, I am inclined to agree with Tony; she is going to be outstanding. She is not doing more now simply because there is no reason for her to. When you are on the floor with the best center in wcbb, the best shooter in wcbb AND the best over-all offensive player in wcbb, and/or one or two of the best slashers in wcbb, there is not much call to engage in individual heroics. She takes her shots when they are there, she gets her steals and rebounds and assists. If and when the situation calls for her to step up her individual offense, I have no doubt that she will.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Saniya Chong...extremely fast...second to only MoJeff; good outside shot, but still using the two hand push...needs to work on a jumper and to improve her ability to get her own shot off, work off screen...to date I haven't seen a pull-up jumper (think Bria Hartley); can finish around the basket; her defense is better now than at the beginning of the season...but, she still can be observed getting beat off the dribble...thank God for Dolson, Stewart and Stokes...who have to clean up when Saniya misses her defensive assignment. A career like Mel...ummm in some cases yes...she will become valuable enough for Geno that she will have to be on the floor, spot up shooter like Mel...yes, maybe not as automatic but she will make up for it with her speed which is definitely not one of Mel's best traits. A career like Tiffany Hayes...again...yes and no. Speed like Tiffany, hustle like Tiff and lightning fast first step on the drive to the basket...yes... But, Tiff was a spotty shooter, a more of a streak kind of shooter...I see Chong being more consistent. A floor leader like Renee...can't happen...Saniya doesn't have the personality for it. Renee to put it simply had a big mouth and made sure her opinion was heard and she took that leadership role (that Geno pushed her into) very seriously. Saniya is a quiet, reserved more introverted kid...who will lead by example not by asserting herself verbally.

Now, the incoming freshmen, Mo Jeff and Brianna Banks will create a very competitive situation at the guard spots...The point guard spot will belong to MoJeff until the day she leaves UConn...there just isn't going to be anyone good enough to take it from her. Once she works on her outside shot / pull-up jumper and she will in the off season...she will have it all including floor leadership. She is already emerging as the floor leader, something that is very difficult with two vocal and talented seniors on the team (Dolson and Hartley)

The competition at the other guard spot will be fierce but I think it will be flavored by Geno's tradition of always giving the upper classmen first dibs. So, Brianna Banks starts out with the advantage and the spot is hers to lose. Saniya will have to earn playing time over Banks...which can happen if Banks underperforms, if she doesn't stay healthy or if Saniya's sophmore jump is so awesome that it can't be denied. If Saniya's learning curve catches the eye of the coaches then look for an equal sharing of the minutes between Banks and Chong...with a gradual move in Saniya's direction by the end of the season as Geno gets ready for another championship run in the conference and NCAA tournament championships. The 4 incoming freshmen guards...are going to have to earn their respect...which I believe they all will do in rather short order.

Courtney Ekmark will be a big guard possible even a 3, who will be a lights out shooter...sound familiar...I know many of you here the echo in the back of your head...KML, KML, KML...I would say yes...Courtney may be the heir apparent to KML...that dependable shooter, who does a lot of things to make others better with a high basketball IQ from the 3 position.

Gabby Williams...from the sound of her play when she is healthy she is an extremely off the charts athletic player who can literally jump out of the gym. Will she completely overcome her propensity towards knee injury...this is her second ACL / Meniscus tear repair. We all know that you don't get too many more and we have seen how this type of injury affects players going forward in their careers. So, it will be a wait and see game with Gabby. If Gabby is able to do a Sue Bird and overcome two ACL tears...(I believe and I could be wrong that Sue tore it once in high school and once during her freshmen year at UConn), she will be someone special indeed.

Sadie Edwards is a talented off guard who plays the game at a relentless pace. She can break down a player one on one, penetrate and she can finish at the rim with contact. She will be fun to watch and she will be a natural back-up to MoJeff and Saniya. I would want to watch to see if she develops a consistent outside shot. If she does she will challenge Saniya for playing time. If not, she will be third off the bench at the pg position while Saniya, Banks and Kia Nurse battle it out at the SG position.

Kia Nurse from all that I read about her...she has the typical point - forward type of game. She has size listed at 5'11" she may grow to 6' by her freshman year. She can work off the perimeter taking players with a quick first step, great passing skill and fantastic court awareness. I know she played point for the Canadian National Team but given her size, and the plethora of talent on Geno's team next year...she will be a player who can give minutes at the 1, 2 or the 3 position.

Starting fiver next year: Stokes, Stewart, KML, Banks, MoJeff (first off the bench...Tuck and Chong)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
A potential issue with a MoJeff-Banks back court tandem for large amounts of time is the 3-pt shooting, though both have improved this year. MoJeff is at around 28% for her career and Brianna is at 33%. With KLM and Stewie able to pop the 3 at high percentages, the problem is relieved a bit, but you still want your guards to be able to extend the perimeter, as Bria certainly is doing this year. Saniya's at 36% for 3s and likely to improve with more minutes, and that gives her an advantage over Banks in one area at the moment.

Reaction Score
The competition for minutes next yr at the guard spot between Jeffferson, Banks
Chong, Ekmark, Edwards, Nurse and Williams is really going to be fun to watch.
By the time Kia Nurse shows up at Gampel next yr she will have another year of
Canadian National experience playing against top competition and I would expect
her to be ready to get after it immediately. Time will tell who among the guards
steps up first. Future looks real bright. Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
IMHO Saniya will have a career similar to Mel Thomas. I believe the recruits coming in next year will give Saniya a run for the starting position and it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the recruits get the starting nod over Saniya. Also lets not forget Brianna Banks if she's able to play next year completely healthy she'll be competing for a starting position as well.
Thankfully, some realism. What a breath of fresh air. To anoint someone whose done some nice things (Saniya) as if she's the second coming is a little much. Comparing her to Mel Thomas is I think a nice compliment without going overboard. Mel Thomas was a really nice asset for the Huskies and were she not injured her senior year, the Huskies may have gotten another national championship. Her three point shooting was really missed in the tournament. I also agree with everyone whose talked about MoJeff's rise in a very short time. Last year she was a smidgeon out of control, particularly early but she really started finding herself as the year was winding down and she really contributed very nicely in the tournament. That speed and quickness is totally off the charts and her skill set is something that Saniya just can't match. I'm hopeful her confidence (Saniya) builds, her strength grows and that she helps in her own way to put a few more championships on that wall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog