San Diego State Talking To Boise About Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

San Diego State Talking To Boise About Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Notre Dame may hold the wild card for now. Now if Brian "Scum" Kelly can get them in a BCS bowl...

Wouldn't that be Brian "The players I recruited are much better than the other players on my roster" Kelly?

Reaction Score
OK, I haven't looked at these schedules, and let's assume you're right. But what I don't get is this: How does being in an "all sports conference" make the conference more stable? What is it about "all sports"? Especially, when you're talking about, as you have emphasized, relatively non-attended, unimportant sports? I can understand that if, say, Boise will not join the conference for football without its other sports, we would have to accommodate that request. But if we played in say, the Atlantic 10 for basketball, and the Big East for football, what difference would it make? It worked for Temple, and would have worked well but for the fact that Temple could not field a football program, and that had nothing to do with being a partial BE member. I guess what I'm saying is, if the new invitees insist on being members for all sports, then that is something to consider - you don't make that a deal breaker - but this is to Revrat: Why is "all sports" a more stable concept than partial memberships, Boise basketball in the WAC, and Houston basketball in CUSA, but football in the Big East? I would think that would increase flexibility and reduce the kinds of tensions we saw in the Big East.

You build rivalries, that's why.

You don't think the UConn/'Cuse basketball rivalry over the years carries over to the football stadium?

If you go all sports, you have an East division, and a West division. Winners of each division can play each other for the championship (same as football).

Given that, what nationwide travel would there be?

Reaction Score
Just three weeks ago, SDSU was very eager to join the Big 12, which didn't even give it a sniff.

Reaction Score
OK, I haven't looked at these schedules, and let's assume you're right. But what I don't get is this: How does being in an "all sports conference" make the conference more stable? What is it about "all sports"? Especially, when you're talking about, as you have emphasized, relatively non-attended, unimportant sports? I can understand that if, say, Boise will not join the conference for football without its other sports, we would have to accommodate that request. But if we played in say, the Atlantic 10 for basketball, and the Big East for football, what difference would it make? It worked for Temple, and would have worked well but for the fact that Temple could not field a football program, and that had nothing to do with being a partial BE member. I guess what I'm saying is, if the new invitees insist on being members for all sports, then that is something to consider - you don't make that a deal breaker - but this is to Revrat: Why is "all sports" a more stable concept than partial memberships, Boise basketball in the WAC, and Houston basketball in CUSA, but football in the Big East? I would think that would increase flexibility and reduce the kinds of tensions we saw in the Big East.

I don't think anything can make this stable unless by stable you mean de-value all sports and stay at a CUSA level. this is everyone saying hey lets make a go at this. Im just saying it doesnt really matter where the schools are. there will be rivalries and there will be great games. not every game need be a rivalry game. Hows that big Buffalo rivalry working out for us in football? it's just a concept that people have that really makes no sense. I would argue that we have a pretty good womans basketball rivalry with Tennesee, In basketball with Duke, Kentucky and even Arizona and Carolina to some extent. that has nothing to do with proximity and everything to do with a great history of games in a fairly short period. Hell we could even include Gonzaga in that. We Need the best Footbal conference we can get to keep the AQ to do that we are going to have to expand what we think of in terms of geography making a difference. The fact is that it really doesn't becasue the size of the conference makes it so it won't. Ideally I want 14 for football that means 6 conference games agaisnt your division and one or 2 agaisnt the other side. that means every 6 years to go to Boise or Houston. or basically one long road trip a year. for the other sports they don't need to meet at all. that meann stronger rivalries against your own division by playing home and homes. But Bosie and BYU if they come or Airforce are only football anyways so they really are not coming into play for anything other than football.

Reaction Score
The point is that they want out. It's not what you'd call a rifle approach. It's more of a shot in the dark! :)

Reaction Score
You build rivalries, that's why.

You don't think the UConn/'Cuse basketball rivalry over the years carries over to the football stadium?

If you go all sports, you have an East division, and a West division. Winners of each division can play each other for the championship (same as football).

Given that, what nationwide travel would there be?
Maybe. I'm not even saying you can't be in the same basketball and football conference with some members to the extent that it works out geographically and historically. If it does, fine. But what would be the need to be in the same conference for rowing, archery, field hockey, track, swimming, soccer, volleyball? Why do they have to be in the football conference? Even Basketball. Why can't you be in one conference - preferably a local conference - for basketball, and be in a totally different conference for football? I really don't feel it for Syracuse football the way I do for basketball. But I could see how being in the same conference with them for both makes sense. SDSU, not. Air Force, not. But I'd love to be in their football conference, more than the ACC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So the distance doesn't matter because the teams aren't actually going to play each other? Ok.. not sure how that is a 'conference'...

Reaction Score
So the distance doesn't matter because the teams aren't actually going to play each other? Ok.. not sure how that is a 'conference'...

In a sense it isnt. Nor does anyone really want it to be. it leave both division in somewhat of a safe spot should more teams defect. The west division could easily add a couple teams and be a new conference. same with the east.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In a sense it isnt. Nor does anyone really want it to be. it leave both division in somewhat of a safe spot should more teams defect. The west division could easily add a couple teams and be a new conference. same with the east.

What's the point for any sport but football then?

Reaction Score
they are a good team in all sports due to playing in elevation.

Reaction Score
What's the point for any sport but football then?
Because a few of them are asking for all or nothing. SO if we want um we gotta go for all or pick somone else.

Reaction Score
Because a few of them are asking for all or nothing. SO if we want um we gotta go for all or pick somone else.

Are they? Has that been reported anywhere that Boise might be taking this position? I'm sure Air Force doesn't want anything but football and Houston, SMU, and UCF all have full invites already. If I was Boise, I'm pretty sure I'd be trying to get an all sports invite and a strong western division.

Reaction Score
You really don't understand why the Western football schools would want to play each other in sports other than football?

I also don't get why some people wouldn't get this.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You really don't understand why the Western football schools would want to play each other in sports other than football?

I don't understand why UConn would want to play the Western schools in anything but football. If you want to call two separate leagues that play a title game a conference that is fine. I have a weird definition of a conference. The schools involved in it would play games against each other.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't that be Brian "The players I recruited are much better than the other players on my roster" Kelly?
No, I think it would be Brian "I Get Away With Involuntary Manslaughter" Kelly.

Reaction Score
East West 16 team two division Big America Conference? Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom