San Diego State Talking To Boise About Big East | The Boneyard

San Diego State Talking To Boise About Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/nov/05/sdsu-talked-boise-about-big-east/

San Diego St. seems pretty eager to join the Big East. I think they would be a good pick up for all sports. I really hope that the Big East is considering adding some sort of western all sports division instead of football only. I think that is the best way to become stable and that it will prove to be lucrative for the conference. I'm very intrigued by the idea of adding San Diego and BYU in addition to Boise. I think the BE is starting to wake up and see the opportunity to do something pretty bold and interesting.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah, it's not ridiculous for Connecticut to play in a conference with San Diego State.

Think about what you are promoting: Connecticut would play San Diego State in all sports. It's such a ridiculous proposition that you might break the internet.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Hey, hey, wait a second. Marist plays in the same football conference as the University of San Diego. This is normal and good for college sports. If the NFL can have teams all over the continent, then the Big East can, too!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Sorry, my multiple personality disorder got the best of me, and my alter ego posted that from my account.

This would be stupid.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's not ridiculous for Connecticut to play in a conference with San Diego State.

Think about what you are promoting: Connecticut would play San Diego State in all sports. It's such a ridiculous proposition that you might break the internet.

Why is it such a ridiculous idea. The eastern teams could visit the teams in the west (SD St., Boise St., Acad., SMU, Houston, maybe Nevada, UNLV, BYU or ?) who are all in sportswise during the semester break or a similar break and vice-versa every few years with different sports going in different years. With playoffs in each sport we will see the western schools often enough. I can also see this as a nice recruiting tool.

Football, being a once a week sport, would require different though easy scheduling, i.e. a game before school opens and another game later in the semester. Also, if baseball can go to Florida for games, they should be able to visit the West.

If the NBE can accomplish this restructuring before a preemptive strike by the ACC (wh ich I foresee) I would be happier than a pig in you know what. I'm a season ticket holder in FB, MBB and WBB and I would definitely follow the teams during a few of the western trips (esp. to LV :D).

Reaction Score
It would be great. League with two conferences, East and West. East would play one football game per season with west and two basketball games per season. This would keep traveling costs down and would make for one compelling conference. We could finally have home and home games with Georgetown, Providence, Nova, Rutgers, Seton Hall, and whoever else is i'm the east. In football we would have championship game between winner from eaten and western conferences. We could have split like this across all conference sports. I love it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I like it, it's doable

Reaction Score

Might break the team bus too, or UCONN buys a 747 with UCONN and Husky logo's all over the plane.:)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'll only be in favor of adding SDSU if we also add maine. We then can claim the further northeast and furthest southwest D-I schools in the continental US.

Reaction Score
People just don't seem get the travel issue. There is an assumption that Womens field hockey is going to be flying out to Boise All the time. It's not going to work that way. as far as I know there are no rules about how many times you have to play the other division of your conference. it might even be none if they wanted to. then they just have an East west Championship game. Even in Footbal we would probably fly to Boise once every 4 years at worste and more likely once Every six years. It' not a big deal. I think of it as playing a better out of conference schedule. The all sports side of things is going to be huge. no need whatsoever to play East versus West until a championship.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Is Boise St being offered for all sports? I thought they were football only and were working with the WCC for a home for all other sports.

Reaction Score
Maybe instead of a BE TV Network we can just invest in BE Airlines. Could be the next Southwest or Jet Blue. It would be a great revenue generator year round, charter flights and commercial flights. We invite Memphis into the league so we can use the Fed Ex planes. Every team guaranteed to be delivered by 10am the next business day, but would need to check a special box if they need to be delivered on zsaturday. (sarcasm off)

I don't have a problem inviting schools that far west into the BE for FB only, given the current situation we are in, since it's not required travel year in and year out. It doesn't work for all sports though. Just doesn't. Baseball, softball, field hockey, volleyball, soccer, hoops, and all the other non revenue sports. Way too much. This new league is a marriage of convenience solely for the purpose of football. Let's not try to make it anything more that that.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Aztec nation? Likely the worst fans in the country.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Is Boise St being offered for all sports? I thought they were football only and were working with the WCC for a home for all other sports.

I really hope it is just for football only. I think Boise State is posturing trying to get all their teams into the Big East knowing that the Big East needs Boise State, but Boise State needs the Big East as well for the auto bid. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out, but the Big East Basketball conference has already been diluted enough with UCF, Houston and SMU...no need to add Boise State or San Diego State (I know they were good last year, but come on) into it.

Reaction Score
People just don't seem get the travel issue.
I think most here get it just fine, and realize youre not talking about annual trips for each sport to far away destinations, and still most think it is a bad idea. Personally, I'm fine w/ the new league for FB b/c it allows all the current BE teams to fight another day, and gives some non AQ teams AQ status. That works for all parties involved. Let's not get it twisted tho, this new arrangement is not about building the first mega conference, it's about positioning for the next expansion by any one of the B12, ACC, B10, etc...

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem inviting schools that far west into the BE for FB only, given the current situation we are in, since it's not required travel year in and year out. It doesn't work for all sports though. Just doesn't. Baseball, softball, field hockey, volleyball, soccer, hoops, and all the other non revenue sports. Way too much. This new league is a marriage of convenience solely for the purpose of football. Let's not try to make it anything more that that.

Explain why it's bad for baseball and field hockey. They wont be traveling out west for those sports look at the schedule for Womens field hockey now. it wont change much at all. They already dont play Pitt Or WVU. These other sports dont really follow a true Big East schedule becasue not all the schools play the same sports. The scheduling wont be a problem. Whats funny is as I am looking at some of these schedules. Does WVU play any sports other than Football and Basketball? they are on no schedules. Cross country plays no schools it's all tourneys, Track plays no schools all tourneys, Hockey has it's own league
. Swimming no meets against schools only tourneys, SO really looking at all these schedules there is no problem. I'm not sure what people are complaining about. There is no travel issue it's a red Herring. The only sports that matter are Football Basketball and Soccer as far as league schedules. and they will not be playing any large number of East west games. The league is going to be 18-24 teams large there isnt any room for cross division schedules. The argument is based pretty much on having no information.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Explain why it's bad for baseball and field hockey. They wont be traveling out west for those sports look at the schedule for Womens field hockey now. it wont change much at all. They already dont play Pitt Or WVU. These other sports dont really follow a true Big East schedule becasue not all the schools play the same sports. The scheduling wont be a problem. Whats funny is as I am looking at some of these schedules. Does WVU play any sports other than Football and Basketball? they are on no schedules. Cross country plays no schools it's all tourneys, Track plays no schools all tourneys, Hockey has it's own league
. Swimming no meets against schools only tourneys, SO really looking at all these schedules there is no problem. I'm not sure what people are complaining about. There is no travel issue it's a red Herring. The only sports that matter are Football Basketball and Soccer as far as league schedules. and they will not be playing any large number of East west games. The league is going to be 18-24 teams large there isnt any room for cross division schedules. The argument is based pretty much on having no information.

Football, I would agree. However you can't be sending kids from Northeast colleges on weekdays all the way out to California. It just doesn't make sense time wise. Just my opinion but I think you're looking at this way too logistically in terms of scheduling, etc. The points you're making are in fact true, I can't argue that. I'm not one who is all "school first, then sports" but having student athletes flying from Hartford to San Diego, Idaho, Colorado, etc. regularly during the school year isn't really fair to them.

Reaction Score
It's not about bad or good. It's about necessity. It is not necessary to create some nationwide conference that supports field hockey, baseball, soccer, etc...those sports current set up work just fine as is, and can continue to exist in the proposed format we are moving towards. This new arrangement is about one thing, and one thing only, football.

Now, explain why it is a good idea. Not how it could be manageable, I get that, but why is it a good idea. How is it economically and athletically advantageous when we don't have to do it today?

I love it how people assume/claim that when others disagree with their opinion it must be b/c those other people don't have information or are misinformed. Rev, maybe it's just people seeing things differently or having a different opinion or preference.

Reaction Score
It's not about why it's good. it's that it just doesn't matter. Atendence at these sports is sub 1000. usually sub 100 at most schools. There is almost no interest outside of freinds and family. There is no TV. outside of certain sports at certain schools like soccer at UConn it just doesnt matter what schools you are playing. It doesnt matter if Womens field hockey is playing Houston or Drexel. I mean really does it matter? Is ther something about that big Drexel matchup in rowing that is important in the grand realm of things? What is the drawback to having a nationwide conference in these sports? there isnt. Look at the soccer schedule it's already nationwide is that bad? has it been bad for the least 30 years? Same for baseball how bad has it been for baseball for all of it's history?

Reaction Score
Oh, that's much clearer. Now I see why it makes so much sense. Sign me up.
It's not about why it's good. it's that it just doesn't matter. Atendence at these sports is sub 1000. usually sub 100 at most schools. There is almost no interest outside of freinds and family. There is no TV. outside of certain sports at certain schools like soccer at UConn it just doesnt matter what schools you are playing. It doesnt matter if Womens field hockey is playing Houston or Drexel. I mean really does it matter? Is ther something about that big Drexel matchup in rowing that is important in the grand realm of things? What is the drawback to having a nationwide conference in these sports? there isnt. Look at the soccer schedule it's already nationwide is that bad? has it been bad for the least 30 years? Same for baseball how bad has it been for baseball for all of it's history?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I really hope it is just for football only. I think Boise State is posturing trying to get all their teams into the Big East knowing that the Big East needs Boise State, but Boise State needs the Big East as well for the auto bid. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out, but the Big East Basketball conference has already been diluted enough with UCF, Houston and SMU...no need to add Boise State or San Diego State (I know they were good last year, but come on) into it.
Boise State can read the tea leaves. UConn and probably Louisville gone. BE non football break off. Now what? Rutgers, Cincy and the TX and Florida schools won't have an all sports conference. The whole thing collapses.

I have little doubt that the goal from BSU's perspective is a strong all sports conference, with eastern and western divisions, and with the AQ status from the old BE. Basically cherry picking from the BE, MWC, WAC and CUSA, plus BYU.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Some interesting geography facts:

* San Diego isn't that much farther 'west' than Boise - in fact, it's closer to the East Coast than Reno, NV is.
* Tampa and Orlando are actually closer to San Diego than they are to Boise.
* A direct flight from Hartford to San Diego would only be 40 or so minutes longer than one to Boise (and in reality would be less travel time, seeing as there aren't any direct flights to Boise).

At this point I don't care who they add, as long as the BCS checks don't bounce. Get this done already!...

Reaction Score
Boise State needs the Big East as much as if not more than the Big East needs Boise State. Exactly where is Boise State going to go? Pac 12 wouldn't entertain them if Boise was the last school on earth due to academics.

Big 12 is going eastern, first with WVU, next with L'ville.

If Boise joins with BYU, SDSU, etc. it makes sense for them. For the Big East? It is already bastardized so why not? Add Hawaii. If geography has no bearing, might as well go for broke for vacation spots.

As far as travel, going coast to coast during the season? No big deal? How much traveling do you guys do that claim that? It is a huge deal.

Reaction Score
OK, I haven't looked at these schedules, and let's assume you're right. But what I don't get is this: How does being in an "all sports conference" make the conference more stable? What is it about "all sports"? Especially, when you're talking about, as you have emphasized, relatively non-attended, unimportant sports? I can understand that if, say, Boise will not join the conference for football without its other sports, we would have to accommodate that request. But if we played in say, the Atlantic 10 for basketball, and the Big East for football, what difference would it make? It worked for Temple, and would have worked well but for the fact that Temple could not field a football program, and that had nothing to do with being a partial BE member. I guess what I'm saying is, if the new invitees insist on being members for all sports, then that is something to consider - you don't make that a deal breaker - but this is to Revrat: Why is "all sports" a more stable concept than partial memberships, Boise basketball in the WAC, and Houston basketball in CUSA, but football in the Big East? I would think that would increase flexibility and reduce the kinds of tensions we saw in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame may hold the wild card for now. Now if Brian "Scum" Kelly can get them in a BCS bowl...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom