San Diego State and MWC | The Boneyard

San Diego State and MWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought this was an interesting read. I thought with relief that losing out on Boise State would end the NBE expansion westward. It appears however that SDST has some bridges to repair. Is the NBE stuck with SDST in the event they are rejected by the MWC? Options? Should the NBE agree to waive the Boise fee if they take back SDST? Is there still a chance to build a national conference w/o Boise? I'm mostly just a lurker here and I am interested in what the thoughts are concerning SDST's predicament.

Votes not there to return to MWC

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Great read. Boise left the NNBE for the 50% Bowl money and 50% NCAA distribution money. It implies a very poor NNBE contract is in the works. The Catholic exodus is another confirming signal. Expect UConn to be lucky to get 5 mil and to keep their media rights for all games not picked up by ESPN or CBS or NBC national. In other word keep the Tier 3 to sell to SNY or NBC Sports NETWORK as the Husky network. That and the 50% deal on NCAA credits and bowls.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Why would keeping San Diego State be a problem?

If Big East has San Diego State and Navy as football-only members I think that is a good thing.

After all of this, I always come to Tulane...why...why...just whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Reaction Score
BE should keep SDSU and add more western schools. If SDSU is smart, they would stay with the BE and not go back to the MWC to be another second class citizen to Boise. Boise's deal favors Boise and put everyone else on second class status. It is a good thing BE did not go for that. Imagine UCONN asking BE to pay a lot more because our basketball is good. What Boise negotiated will cause a lot of resentments down the road among other MWC teams.

With realignment influx, BE would be wise to go national so there are more candidates available once more teams leave.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The Mountain West may be making a mistake by not taking back SDSU. Given the sentiment of the rest of the MW dealing with the Boise "sweetheart deal", there might be more than one school interested in taking off on them. Let's say, Fresno or Nevada, for instance. If they allow the Big East to "re-poach" other schools from their ranks, they may not like what they are left with.

However, I have to say that forming a true western all-sports division is just not in the cards anymore. It would be football-only adds. And I don't regret SDSU being with us for football-only, as I think they will continue their upward track...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Expect the MWC to take SDSU back after making them grovel a while longer.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Expect the MWC to take SDSU back after making them grovel a while longer.

I thought the same thing. It's funny how that article kept stressing the exact date in January that the vote has to be cast...

Reaction Score
The Boise deal is a huge slap in the face to SD St and the rest of the MWC. The best MWC teams should threaten to join a Western conference as part of the Big East to force Boise to change their deal. In fact, the Boise deal is a huge potential negative for most colleges. Will Florida St demand a Boise-like deal from the ACC? What about Texas and Oklahoma demanding a similar deal in the Big 12?

Honestly, I think we have seen the peak of Boise St football.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I read on the BE Blog on ESPN I believe, that SDSU wouldn't be making nearly the same as Boise in the MWC and that the BE deal would still be better than what they'd get in the MWC. Boise got a ridiculous deal and no one else in the MWC will make anything close. It could make sense for them to stay in the BE and take the more money. I know there's been no movement on the TV front (at least publicly) but I just can't see how the MWC would make more than the NBE, no matter how bad it is. It's current make up makes it more valuable than the MWC.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/41191/big-east-needs-more-clarity

Reaction Score
The NNNBE/CUSA/MWC could have have two east-west divisions that are aligned only for post-regular-season and a Tier 1 TV contract. That would pick up the best pieces.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The Boise deal is a huge slap in the face to SD St and the rest of the MWC. The best MWC teams should threaten to join a Western conference as part of the Big East to force Boise to change their deal. In fact, the Boise deal is a huge potential negative for most colleges. Will Florida St demand a Boise-like deal from the ACC? What about Texas and Oklahoma demanding a similar deal in the Big 12?

The best part is this: SDSU practically black-mailed the Big West to take Boise in the olympic sports in order to make the Big East football move happen. The Big West wanted nothing to do with Boise, and even Hawaii was giving them a hard time. SDSU used their clout from their nationally ranked men's bball team to essentially say, "Boise's in or we're out."

Now, they need the favor to be performed on their behalf in order to re-enter the MW; a favor that Boise could have easily made happen (seeing as how the MW has kow-tow'ed to their every desire so far). And all they had the guts to do was to say "SDSU gets first vote option." Way to stay classy, Kustra! I really misjudged that guy...

Reaction Score
I don't know about that. Unless the better athletic programs threaten to leave the MWC, Boise State might have an easier path to the playoffs than everyone else not in the so-called "Power 5", whatever they are called, because of weakened competition in their own conference.

Reaction Score
However, I have to say that forming a true western all-sports division is just not in the cards anymore. It would be football-only adds. And I don't regret SDSU being with us for football-only, as I think they will continue their upward track...
I think they can make east and west all-sports divisions. Easily. It would destroy Boise State and the MWC.

Reaction Score
if kelly from oregon jumps to the nfl, maybe pederson takes his place

Reaction Score
Here's a thought. Navy's Gladchuck said all the right things about Big East football yesterday. How about he backs it up by enticing AFA & Colorado State to jump to the Big East. Those 2 schools can't be too happy with the Boise State sweetheart deal. If cracks appear in the MWC armor, the house of cards could fall swiftly.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East could have driven a stake through the MWC with two or more western additions with its last two invitations. Instead it inexplicably added Tulane and ECU. Blaming this terrible decision making on the "Big East" no longer makes any sense, since the NNBE is completely different from the last 8 years of bad decision-making. The members are the ones making the bad choices, and the only common members are UConn, Cincinnati and USF. One must conclude that those three were the main part of the problem all along.

Reaction Score
The Big East could have driven a stake through the MWC with two or more western additions with its last two invitations. Instead it inexplicably added Tulane and ECU. Blaming this terrible decision making on the "Big East" no longer makes any sense, since the NNBE is completely different from the last 8 years of bad decision-making. The members are the ones making the bad choices, and the only common members are UConn, Cincinnati and USF. One must conclude that those three were the main part of the problem all along.

I have been thinking this all along. The patients are running the asylum. There has been resistance among those 3 schools to embrace a national all sports conference. There is too much talk of "football only" etc. They need to pick up western teams, go two divisions and decimate the MWC. Anything short of that is a failure.

Reaction Score
sometimes i wonder if you come on here to prove you're an ass.

Reaction Score
We need to attack from the far west. Keep SDSU and grab Hawaii. We would then have the MWC surrounded, putting us in position to so cut off their access to any stuff they might need from San Diego or Hawaii or the East.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The west is irrelevant. Playing in a cross country league kills the ratings on both coasts. It's idiotic. Leave the west to the MWC, but fight like hell for anything in the central time zone, including SMU and Houston.

Reaction Score
Could it be possible that SDSU isn't even trying hard to get back to the MWC? Awfully quiet on all fronts in my opinion. Boise makes an agreement with the MWC with really zero penalty if they back out of it. Here's the quote from the article:

" Exit fee from Mountain West: If Boise State leaves the Mountain West before July 1, 2016, it must repay the conference whatever money it uses from its general fund to pay the Big East/Big West exit fees. This is in addition to any other normal Mountain West exit fees."

Doesn't sound like much of a commitment to me. More like a poker play. The TV deal means it all and that 1/31/13 date likely has way more meaning than just a vote on SDSU.

Reaction Score
Could it be possible that SDSU isn't even trying hard to get back to the MWC? Awfully quiet on all fronts in my opinion. Boise makes an agreement with the MWC with really zero penalty if they back out of it. Here's the quote from the article:

" Exit fee from Mountain West: If Boise State leaves the Mountain West before July 1, 2016, it must repay the conference whatever money it uses from its general fund to pay the Big East/Big West exit fees. This is in addition to any other normal Mountain West exit fees."

Doesn't sound like much of a commitment to me. More like a poker play. The TV deal means it all and that 1/31/13 date likely has way more meaning than just a vote on SDSU.

Things are also awful quiet from all the CA schools. Both SJSU and Fresno have not made any statement regarding Boise coming back. Schools like Wyoming have. I suspect there are more things going on in the background. It is possible that SDSU and the BE could be working with those schools for a BE western division. If I am SDSU and I don't want to be another 2nd class citizen to Boise in the MWC, I would work with schools like UNLV, Fresno and SJSU to see if those schools are interested in joining the BE.

I feel like if SDSU stays, BE needs to create an all sports western division. BE almost has to do this in order to survive. With more raids coming, BE is better positioned to reload with a national conference.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Things are also awful quiet from all the CA schools. Both SJSU and Fresno have not made any statement regarding Boise coming back. Schools like Wyoming have. I suspect there are more things going on in the background. It is possible that SDSU and the BE could be working with those schools for a BE western division. If I am SDSU and I don't want to be another 2nd class citizen to Boise in the MWC, I would work with schools like UNLV, Fresno and SJSU to see if those schools are interested in joining the BE.

I feel like if SDSU stays, BE needs to create an all sports western division. BE almost has to do this in order to survive. With more raids coming, BE is better positioned to reload with a national conference.

If this were to happen (I have to say that the odds are less than 50/50, I'm afraid), it would be a real shot in the arm for us and a real shot in the head to the Mountain West. It would probably also teach Boise a lesson. It's hard for me to get "holier than thou" on Boise chasing money, since that is what brought them to the Big East in the first place. But I really don't like the way they went about their dealings with the Big East, the Mountain West, or with SDSU...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom