San Diego State and MWC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

San Diego State and MWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
San Diego article is well done. I thought going to the mwc for San Diego was a no brainer. I'm not so sure anymore.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Really interesting read. Good find, Vuce.

The part that I really found interesting is that being in the Big West for the olympic sports is actually MAKING them money, not costing them:

"SDSU has crunched the numbers. The estimated increase in football travel: $400,000. The estimated savings from being in the Big West: $500,000."

Couple that fact with high profile basketball arrangements with Cincy, Temple, Memphis, and maybe even UConn, and SDSU is almost certainly better off as a football member in the Big East. I think that the sweetheart deal with Boise State is really going to come back to haunt Thompson and the Mountain West. And I didn't give much thought to our "war chest", as they put it, but it really does give us some options to strike back. Really good article...

Reaction Score
Things are also awful quiet from all the CA schools. Both SJSU and Fresno have not made any statement regarding Boise coming back. Schools like Wyoming have. I suspect there are more things going on in the background. It is possible that SDSU and the BE could be working with those schools for a BE western division. If I am SDSU and I don't want to be another 2nd class citizen to Boise in the MWC, I would work with schools like UNLV, Fresno and SJSU to see if those schools are interested in joining the BE.

I feel like if SDSU stays, BE needs to create an all sports western division. BE almost has to do this in order to survive. With more raids coming, BE is better positioned to reload with a national conference.

UNLV is a bigger question mark than the California schools. Supposedly (I read this in a Reno paper), Nevada & UNLV are tied together by the legislature of the state of Nevada. They have to go to some committee to explain, going forward, why they aren't in the same athletic conference. Amazingly.

Reaction Score
Not that I speak for all Aztec fans, but I think a majority of people still support the move. If it was for all sports just about everybody would be in board. The problem many people have is sticking basketball in the Big West. The idea if playing in front of 600 people at UC Irvine is pretty sickening. How much you hate the Big West really dictates whether you are in favor of the move or against it.

Had Aresco invited a UNLV, Fresno, etc. and made a full western all sports conference the MWC would be dead. Instead we got Tulane. I love the idea of being aligned with UCONN, Cincinnati, etc. instead of Wyoming and New Mexico but at this point I'm not sure it's worth the Big West hassle. I hope SDSU can avoid being Boise's bitch in the MWC but Aresco hasn't done enough (anything?) to expand the west.

..Sent from my GS3..

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Not that I speak for all Aztec fans, but I think a majority of people still support the move. If it was for all sports just about everybody would be in board. The problem many people have is sticking basketball in the Big West. The idea if playing in front of 600 people at UC Irvine is pretty sickening. How much you hate the Big West really dictates whether you are in favor of the move or against it.

Had Aresco invited a UNLV, Fresno, etc. and made a full western all sports conference the MWC would be dead. Instead we got Tulane. I love the idea of being aligned with UCONN, Cincinnati, etc. instead of Wyoming and New Mexico but at this point I'm not sure it's worth the Big West hassle. I hope SDSU can avoid being Boise's bitch in the MWC but Aresco hadn't done enough (anything?) to expand the west.

..Sent from my GS3..

I think the thing that will make a Big East move more palatable for the Aztec fans (outside of a hopeful increase in payout) is the fact that we have language written into our contract that will get SDSU good basketball games on the east coast. Obviously, Louisville and GTown will no longer be part of that arrangement, but you will likely be linked to teams like UConn, Cincy, Memphis, and Temple.

Yeah, it will probably suck to play against the likes of UC-Davis in league games, but your OOC will be pretty good. In either case, I wish SDSU good luck. If they decide to stick it out with the Big East, you will have made an extra fan in Connecticut (except for when you play us, of course, at which point I will temporarily hate your guts)... ;)

Reaction Score
Great article explaining SDSU's dilemma. I started this thread wanting SDSU back to the MWC in the worst way. Now I am a fan of SDSU staying in the NBE despite the barriers. I only see it working out however if there are east/west divisions. Aresco seems set on SDSU staying so I hope that by reaching out to Fresno and UNLV that he has something like that in mind and that the TV revenue is there to make it happen. Hopefully the BE is not too late. If Aresco can weaken the MWC enough than perhaps Boise comes back grovelling. Or screw Boise and let em rot in the MWC.

The MWC has set an end date for this showdown between them and the BE. Our Susan Herbst has come out once again publicizing Uconn's commitment to the conference which I think was to provide further support to the BE as it fights to maintain SDSU. Let the war commence!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Great article explaining SDSU's dilemma. I started this thread wanting SDSU back to the MWC in the worst way. Now I am a fan of SDSU staying in the NBE despite the barriers. I only see it working out however if there are east/west divisions. Aresco seems set on SDSU staying so I hope that by reaching out to Fresno and UNLV that he has something like that in mind and that the TV revenue is there to make it happen. Hopefully the BE is not too late. If Aresco can weaken the MWC enough than perhaps Boise comes back grovelling. Or screw Boise and let em rot in the MWC.

The MWC has set an end date for this showdown between them and the BE. Our Susan Herbst has come out once again publicizing Uconn's commitment to the conference which I think was to provide further support to the BE as it fights to maintain SDSU. Let the war commence!
I'm sure a MWC university or two could be enticed to leave if/when Aresco gets some media numbers and that could result in the MWC really taking a hit. Should be interesting to see how things develop. And of course the SEC and B!G are still rumbling.

Reaction Score
The Big East should take a look at Texas San Antonio. They already average 35,000 per game in the Alamodome and they are the only football team in San Antonio. Huge upside there, they could be the next decade's Boise State.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's the eastern schools who had a problem with SDSU basketball. Isn't this SDSU's idea? Because for the eastern schools, this means traveling to San Diego once a year. That's not a problem. The problem is SDSU flying east constantly.

Reaction Score
I believe the BE can lock up SDSU by bringing in another school west of the Rockies. I doubt they could afford to rejoin the MWC if they had to pony up the $5 million exit fee plus the Big West exit fee. I am feeling more confident that the new BE TV contract will be attractive enough to keep SDSU interested, but can SDSU take that chance? I think we lock them in and then do what is in the best interests of the NBE and SDSU and I think that is to work out a TV contract based on an east and west divisional conference. Solves SDSU problems and makes for a nice coast to coast conference. Let Aresco work the logistics if he really wants to have SDSU and also a viable conference...... while keeping in mind he should also be nice to the C7.

Reaction Score
It took me awhile to remember where I read the "west of the Rockies" clause. Came from an article written by Mark Blaudschun (A Jersey Guy) which states:

"When San Diego and Boise State made their original decision to join the Big East last year, a clause in the agreement allowed San Diego State to back out of the deal without penalty if there was no other school west of the Rocky Mountains (Boise State) in the new 12 team configuration of the Big East."

Maybe I am interpreting it wrong. Is it specifically Boise or is it simply SDSU needs a partner west of the Rockies?

Link http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4602

Reaction Score
I found an ESPN article that says the same thing ... perhaps Blaudschun's source? It's titled "Big East Needs More Clarity"and reaffirms "west of the Rockies". This quote from the article however really bothers me:
In an interview with The Associated Press, commissioner Mike Aresco said he just wants an answer from San Diego State so the Big East can try and move forward.

In my opinion, Aresco just has to concern himself with securing SDSU with a partner west of the Rockies and they are hooked. If he can't do that then why bother asking SDSU what they want. Just let them go. His comments of late have been weak. He wants to be nice to the C7 as well. Why not beat C7 to the best BB schools out there? The BE needs to make some bold moves or they are going to get rolled.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't know why Aresco hasn't quit yet. This league is run by idiots, and the chief idiot appears to work in the Wilbur Cross building in Storrs, CT. Who else could possibly be blocking a western division but Herbst? Who thought Tulane was a good idea? SMU and Houston are sniffing around the MWC, and the Big East schools are digging their heels in? WTF is going on?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I don't know why Aresco hasn't quit yet. This league is run by idiots, and the chief idiot appears to work in the Wilbur Cross building in Storrs, CT. Who else could possibly be blocking a western division but Herbst? Who thought Tulane was a good idea? SMU and Houston are sniffing around the MWC, and the Big East schools are digging their heels in? WTF is going on?

You are making the critical mistake of applying logic.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

It's honestly beginning to seriously scare me that Herbst has no clue of what is going on and has sense of the magnitude and dire situation we find ourselves in by being in the Big East.

I truly think she is absolutely clueless and just doesn't get it from an athletics standpoint.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
It's honestly beginning to seriously scare me that Herbst has no clue of what is going on and has sense of the magnitude and dire situation we find ourselves in by being in the Big East.

I truly think she is absolutely clueless and just doesn't get it from an athletics standpoint.
I tend to agree. That, combined with an AD who is new to big time college athletics has me very concerned. I think JC and McHugh are the ones who who are going to have to clarify the importance of remainig relevant athletically

Reaction Score
Herbst clearly values research and academics (and high IQs) very, very much. Her family is involved in running elite institutions, Colgate and UConn. Say what you want about Memphis. Their biggest booster is a Yale graduate.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think it's the eastern schools who had a problem with SDSU basketball. Isn't this SDSU's idea? Because for the eastern schools, this means traveling to San Diego once a year. That's not a problem. The problem is SDSU flying east constantly.

And not just basketball. Soccer, baseball, volleyball etc. if they are in, it's just for FB.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Western division in all sports is a terrible idea. It will not work. That's why it isn't being pursued.

When the expected payout for the C7 for basketball is more than the MWC gets for hoops and football, what does that tell you? Those schools are entirely dilutive. And those markets will not tune in for Saturday morning football or weekday basketball at 3:00 pm. We need to stick to two time zones. Add ECU for all sports and we are at 10. Then decide whether schools like Tulsa, Rice or Southern Miss fit.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Western division in all sports is a terrible idea. It will not work. That's why it isn't being pursued.

When the expected payout for the C7 for basketball is more than the MWC gets for hoops and football, what does that tell you? Those schools are entirely dilutive. And those markets will not tune in for Saturday morning football or weekday basketball at 3:00 pm. We need to stick to two time zones. Add ECU for all sports and we are at 10. Then decide whether schools like Tulsa, Rice or Southern Miss fit.

LMAO. In the same paragraph you say adding MTN West schools would be dilutive, then suggest adding schools like Tulsa, Rice or Southern Miss in addition to the hot garbage we already have in Tulsa and East Carolina.

Have you see C-USA's TV contract? What does that tell you?

Just stop the madness. Why for the love of god, if ECU agreed to football-only would you add them for all sports? Talk about diluting a product, just holy . ECU is probably one of the worst basketball programs in America and you want them on UConn's schedule twice a season?

Reaction Score

You're posting on a faulty premise, basing game start times on the Eastern time zone. A Western division is perfect for start times later in the day: Football 7 P.M., 10 P.M. Basketball 9 P.M. 11 P.M. Eastern. Fox Sports & NBC Sports need live programming for those time slots. That's prime time on the left coast.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You're posting on a faulty premise, basing game start times on the Eastern time zone. A Western division is perfect for start times later in the day: Football 7 P.M., 10 P.M. Basketball 9 P.M. 11 P.M. Eastern. Fox Sports & NBC Sports need live programming for those time slots. That's prime time on the left coast.

Know what works even better?

Mountain West games for those time slots.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
LMAO. In the same paragraph you say adding MTN West schools would be dilutive, then suggest adding schools like Tulsa, Rice or Southern Miss in addition to the hot garbage we already have in Tulsa and East Carolina.

Have you see C-USA's TV contract? What does that tell you?

Just stop the madness. Why for the love of god, if ECU agreed to football-only would you add them for all sports? Talk about diluting a product, just holy . ECU is probably one of the worst basketball programs in America and you want them on UConn's schedule twice a season?

Simply put, I don't think hybrid leagues work well either. I'd rather dump ECU and Tulane altogether. But they have an invite already. If SDSU wants to come for just football...alone, then of course we keep ECU as football only as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom