Samson Johnson | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Samson Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His role next year depends on how he develops this summer and how ready Singare is. If Singare is raw, as predicted, Johnson may play backup to both the 4-5, giving all three of them lots of minutes. Of course, Hurley may play it safe and grab an experienced 5 out of the portal to back up DC.
If that player is a junior and markedly better than Singare and Samson, why not? If he is Nunge-like, all the better. Even if a senior, so be it.

If that player can play the 4-5, why not?

I hope Samson will develop, and Singare will be ready to contribute, but a decent big man backup is essential.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How the heck is samsons role dependent on singare?

I’ll hang up and listen.
He'll likely be a much better backup 5 as a junior than Singare will as a freshman. He played more 5 than 4 as a freshman. But he should still play more 4. Neither of our incoming forwards are really 4s.

Reaction Score

So. PF Samson Johnson (UConn)

Samson Johnson is a 6-foot-10 sophomore at Connecticut. The power forward chose the Huskies over Syracuse, Xavier, Miami, Providence, and others. Johnson is averaging 2.8 points in 7.8 minutes through four games prior to a foot injury this season. The native of Togo graduated from Elizabeth (NJ) The Patrick School. He was the No. 59 player in the 2021 On3 Consensus.

Prior to?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
He'll likely be a much better backup 5 as a junior than Singare will as a freshman. He played more 5 than 4 as a freshman. But he should still play more 4. Neither of our incoming forwards are really 4s.
So he is coming into Junior year as a backup 5 and backup 4.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
cook is now 5th in d boards and 10th in total boards in the league.
as between alex and cook, i'd take alex for this season to do winning stuff.
as between cook and johnson for this season to do winning stuff, i'd take cook. he's no scorer, but he has proven to be a reliable boarder.
i have zero insight as to samson's skillz becuz i've never seen him play regular thus far. here's to hoping.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Bump. Samson still not getting run.
Hope he didn't aggravate the foot...

Reaction Score
I dont trust Hurley's assessment of any player based on practice. Remember that Whaley never played. Then it took injuries to Polley and Akok to get him any time. Then he played great. Hurley had the audacity to say that Whaley finally figured it out. It was Hurley being forced to figure it out.

Reaction Score
Hurley doesn't trust what he brings to being out there. What other explanation besides injury?
DH said Samson had "wall potential" last year and, besides Hawk, he was thought to be the most likely to play in NBA on current roster. If he's healthy it is a bit perplexing why he's not playing at all, maybe just not enough time left in the season for him to be game ready.

Everyone was excited a few weeks ago to get him back in the rotation and now crickets. I wish the best for Samson and hope he has a big impact at UConn at some point this year or next.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Karaban can move the offense with his ball handling ,passing, and hitting the open 3. He can drive to the basket too. And, his defense seems to be improving.

Not sure Samson can do any of those.

Though, to the eye, Samson has length and lateral quickness, , and is taller than AK.

If he could do any of the above in any measure, seems Hurley would give him a brief run. He sees the players in practice, so he should know.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I dont trust Hurley's assessment of any player based on practice. Remember that Whaley never played. Then it took injuries to Polley and Akok to get him any time. Then he played great. Hurley had the audacity to say that Whaley finally figured it out. It was Hurley being forced to figure it out.
You prefer your assessment from not seeing him in practice or games?

Reaction Score
Karaban can move the offense with his ball handling ,passing, and hitting the open 3. He can drive to the basket too. And, his defense seems to be improving.

Not sure Samson can do any of those.

Though, to the eye, Samson has length and lateral quickness, , and is taller than AK.

If he could do any of the above in any measure, seems Hurley would give him a brief run. He sees the players in practice, so he should know.
You might move Karaban to the 3
In spurts depending on matchups just to get him action .
Hurley has a history of burying guys instead of letting them play through their rough patches.
Remember this is a guy Dan said will have his own plaque on our wall .He has to be thinking about the portal if he is healthy .

Reaction Score
You might move Karaban to the 3
In spurts depending on matchups just to get him action .
Hurley has a history of burying guys instead of letting them play through their rough patches.
Remember this is a guy Dan said will have his own plaque on our wall .He has to be thinking about the portal if he is healthy .
Why would he stay?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yup, or injuries to force Bouknight into the starting lineup finally. This looks like another Akok situation right now.

Reaction Score
I am glad UConn got Hurley to rebuild the program and was excited when they hired him. Even though his in game coaching, IMO, is good, but far from great, I always remembered the point you made concerning Whaley finally getting his chance and it didn't reflect well on Hurley. If Akok doesn't get hurt, I am not sure we would really remember Whaley much more than Sidney Wilson.

Same thing happened with Tom Coughlin and Victor Cruz. Cruz only got his opportunity once Brandon Stokely got hurt.

Reaction Score
It's what happens when people only listen to the Hurley sound bites and don't use their eyes...
Because Hurley said he would be back as early as December.

Reaction Score
Bump. Samson still not getting run.
Hope he didn't aggravate the foot...
The Mitchell Robinson who isn't Mitchell Robinson because he was never on the court enough to show he was Mitchell Robinson. Though, Mitchell Robinson isn't on the court that much either, but the reasons are known.

I hope if he's hurt, that it's not chronic.

Reaction Score
Maybe he likes having Richie Springs as his teammate?:)
If he’s healthy these kids are all about showcasing their skills and getting PT. Is he healthy now? If so then why isn’t he being used and why should he trust Hurley to use him next year? If healthy another team will play him a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom