Samson Johnson looks to make major leap in new role for UConn men next season (Arruda @ Courant) | The Boneyard

Samson Johnson looks to make major leap in new role for UConn men next season (Arruda @ Courant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Samson showed us loyalty by sticking around after last season and we all appreciate that out of him.

We know he has the talent, if he’s able to put it together then I’d love for us to show him some loyalty back and get him minutes early in the season before the monster games OOC

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Confidence is the key. Hurley needs to put him in position against some of the early cupcakes were he can have some success. Hit a few threes a few nice rim run and lob dunks. Get the ball rolling in the right direction. Clearly he must have talent for his size or Hurley would not have worked to do whatever he could to make him stay. I think he is going to see 20 minutes a game just backing up DC and AK. I agree with @umani he is the x-factor.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Really want this kid to have the oncourt success he seeks.
I do too. He’s had a rough run, couldve portaled (thought he would, and heard he would ) but he decided to stick which was the harder path. That says something. It says a lot. He wants to carve space on the reigning champion with a potential all American ahead of him and a guy you can’t keep off the floor at his other possible minutes spot, with an incoming top 5 class coming in. I love that attitude. Go get it SJ!

Reaction Score
I do too. He’s had a rough run, couldve portaled (thought he would, and heard he would ) but he decided to stick which was the harder path. That says something. It says a lot. He wants to carve space on the reigning champion with a potential all American ahead of him and a guy you can’t keep off the floor at his other possible minutes spot, with an incoming top 5 class coming in. I love that attitude. Go get it SJ!

Has the chance to be what Clingan was for Sanogo, but backing up both Alex and Donovan. It's really a rare luxury to have a backup who might even be better than your starter on some nights. We were spoiled last least... Johnson has a chance to do it again.

Reaction Score
Has the chance to be what Clingan was for Sanogo, but backing up both Alex and Donovan. It's really a rare luxury to have a backup who might even be better than your starter on some nights. We were spoiled last least... Johnson has a chance to do it again.
Very exciting to think about- another one of the "missing pieces" when you compare to last years team (which was probably the most balanced team we have ever had).
Different kind of matchup nightmare. Love to see it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I've been saying for a while now that him returning means Hurley believes he can handle 10-12 minutes a game at both the four and the five (being the primary backup for each position).

If Hurley felt he could only play the four and that he and Karaban would split the minutes, based on what each earned, he would have told Johnson just that and SJ would have transferred.

Hurley wouldn't BS a kid just to ensure he has as many bodies as he can get on a roster.

Reaction Score
He is definitely the X factor snd will get his chances at the 4 and 5. He needs to be effective at the 5 so D Clingan is not getting more than 26 minutes or so.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I've been saying for a while now that him returning means Hurley believes he can handle 10-12 minutes a game at both the four and the five (being the primary backup for each position).

If Hurley felt he could only play the four and that he and Karaban would split the minutes, based on what each earned, he would have told Johnson just that and SJ would have transferred.

Hurley wouldn't BS a kid just to ensure he has as many bodies as he can get on a roster.
Singare is pretty raw. It’s quite a luxury to have an athletic 6’10” big who is a junior backup up the 4-5. I suspect we will rough see him come in for DC, then 5 minutes later Alex goes out and he shifts to the 4. Then Alex comes in and he goes out. Foul trouble could alter that but DC needs more rest than Alex.

Johnson’s speed, athleticism and rebounding can make up for some of what we lost with Andre. I’m not sure what teams are going to do when he and Clingan are on the floor together. Crazy length and shot blocking.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Even if he’s never the NBA prospect we dreamed about when he committed, I’m still of the belief he can be a really solid college big man that helps us win a ton of games over the next 2 years.

Plus who knows what might happen if he starts at the 5 his senior year, maybe he gets NBA looks for his tools and production.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Even if he’s never the NBA prospect we dreamed about when he committed, I’m still of the belief he can be a really solid college big man that helps us win a ton of games over the next 2 years.

Plus who knows what might happen if he starts at the 5 his senior year, maybe he gets NBA looks for his tools and production.
I think there is a very real possibility that DC could be NBA after this year. If so, we will need both Samson and Singare the following year and that would be critical. Regardless of how the minutes are spread this year they will all be involved in daily practice wars and that gives us a good base going into 2024 Our staff is like no other. Wondering what they are thinking about now! I really wish the practices could be more open but understand the reality of secrecy. I also wouldn't want to lose any of those other freshman so I'm hoping for another offense/defense style like last year.

Reaction Score
My thoughts on Johnson, forget about last year… Forget about it… he had injuries and tried limited minutes but his play last year in no way limits what he can achieve in a UConn uniform. The sky is the limit! Now get after it!

Reaction Score
Really want him to succeed and live up to that wall potential. This season if he can be the first big off the bench and play a hard, quality 20 minutes we’ll be in great shape.

The little to no drop off from Sanogo to Clingan was one of the difference makers for the team last season. If we can nearly replicate that with Clingan and Karaban to Johnson, we’ll be a Top 5 team easy.

Reaction Score

Although I have been mildly vouching to pick up a back up veteran big via the portal, the right move is probably to have Samson play both backup frontcourt positions, even though there’s an uncertainty risk factor there.

I admit, I keep forgetting he earned a starting role last year before he got hurt.

Plus, it’s not like we’re barren behind Clingan and Karaban, just young and unproven.

Specifically, I got excited when Hurley mentioned lob plays for Samson…I’m sure a lot of the plays that were ran for Jackson last year could also be used for him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sam I Am.. His turn this year.. Take it to the bank..
I think you're right. Mostly because of Hurley's recent track record on things like this. He doesn't do Justin Brown. He said Hawk was money last year and Hawk turned out to be money. Small sample size I know, but I thought Samson looked like a player before he got hurt. He'll help us win this year.

Reaction Score
I watched him play last year. He should not be playing meaningful minutes. Karaban has to have better backup. We go small or whatever. I don't want him playing meaningful minutes in Kansas, no thanks.
Our guys do seem to get better so there's that. Plus Johnson had a pretty major injury last year and he was never really 100% recovered. We'll see whether he's better this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom