Samson Johnson looks to make major leap in new role for UConn men next season (Arruda @ Courant) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Samson Johnson looks to make major leap in new role for UConn men next season (Arruda @ Courant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I love that we have people that can determine a guy does not pass the eye test after playing 115 minutes over a two year span at this level.

I will take what the coaches say he is capable of until we see some extended meaningful minutes.

Reaction Score
Our coach, who won a National Championship for us, says the kid is going to see minutes at the 4 and the 5. So, I have to believe that at the beginning of next season you will see him playing at the 4 and the 5. We'll see how it goes as the season progresses but Hurley is going to give Samson a chance to earn some minutes. I don't see why we would have a problem with that.
It was an off season puff piece. What did you expect Hurley to say? Standard puff piece quotes. Just change the name and the position. And I’m going to guess that pretty much everyone has a chance to earn SOME minutes. Maybe 2-3 at the end of the annual blowout of DePaul, but minutes none the less. Except maybe Andrew.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
So has Castle yet to show, in college, any of what people describe his game to be. I've seen clips of Johnson doing all that in HS. He was behind several guys as a freshman, and got hurt last year. He hasn't had a chance to show it.
This is true though. The same people shouting Castle is a guaranteed starter and first round pick want you to not use the same logic on Samsons projection.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was an off season puff piece. What did you expect Hurley to say? Standard puff piece quotes. Just change the name and the position.
I know that all coaches do coachspeak. JC was a master. But to me, Hurley seems less coachspeaky than most. I'm taking his quotes here at face value.

Reaction Score
This is true though. The same people shouting Castle is a guaranteed starter and first round pick want you to not use the same logic on Samsons projection.
Well if Castle is still here as a junior and only played 115 minutes, I think you'd find a lot less people penciling in Castle to start. Which isn't a knock on Samson, I think he'll be a useful backup to Clingan. But the situations aren't remotely comparable, it's a beyond dumb comparison

Reaction Score
SJ's high school film is pretty sensational. He shot 67% from the field and 37% from three in 2020. He shows off a lot of skills including good hands, good court vision even some ball handling. He moves like a much smaller player, he is athletic and smooth. It's fair to expect that he would be bigger and stronger after two years in the UConn weight and conditioning program. This was a very high level recruit, 6-10 with a 7-4 wingspan.

He has been practicing against national championship caliber players. He has been learning Hurley's system. Suggesting he may have an advantage over incoming high school seniors is not out of line.

Anyone who makes predictions based on his time on the court at UConn is cherry picking. He had good minutes and poor minutes. . The sample size is so small any meaningful extrapolation is impossible. Sure it's all good fun but we won't know until we do know. We do know that Hurley wants him on the squad. It would have been easy to tell him to move on. The proof will be in the playing. I for one am very optimistic.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
SJ's high school film is pretty sensational. He shot 67% from the field and 37% from three in 2020. He shows off a lot of skills including good hands, good court vision even some ball handling.
1687362189440.png

Reaction Score
I’m sort of with you, Nick. There are guys who are loyal and likable and everyone hopes will have a breakout season. Rarely does that happen though. Mostly those guys aren’t playing because they aren’t good enough. Everyone thinks this guy or that guy will be the next Hilton Armstrong. But the reason everybody remembers Hilton is that he was such a unique case! I hope Samson replaces Hilton as the guy everyone mentions when talking about major improvement. I suspect he remains a bit player.
Omg if Samson is Hilton Armstrong than I was wrong. Way off base. Crazy off base. Im thinking way less than that. Im thinking so much lower than Hilton Armstrong you made me laugh. Like really? If Samson is Armstrong how would we lose a game except big east and Kansas reffing? Who would start? Karaban would be lucky to get minutes. What are we talking about?

Reaction Score
Omg if Samson is Hilton Armstrong than I was wrong. Way off base. Crazy off base. Im thinking way less than that. Im thinking so much lower than Hilton Armstrong you made me laugh. Like really? If Samson is Armstrong how would we lose a game except big east and Kansas reffing? Who would start? Karaban would be lucky to get minutes. What are we talking about?

Oh god dude shut up already.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Well if Castle is still here as a junior and only played 115 minutes, I think you'd find a lot less people penciling in Castle to start. Which isn't a knock on Samson, I think he'll be a useful backup to Clingan. But the situations aren't remotely comparable, it's a beyond dumb comparison
The only reason you don’t think he’ll be here as a junior is because of his high school stats/rankings/highlights. It’s obviously not the same exact thing because of how long it’s been since Samson has played meaningful basketball, but ultimately both their positive projections by their fans are based on the information available to us about their potential coming out of high school.

I also wasn’t intending to make this a post about my thoughts on Samson, but I guess I’m in the mood now, so feel free to ignore what’s written below, as it’s not a response to you.

Also we shouldn’t be dishonest about Samsons situation so far. He might not have been ready to play as a freshman on a borderline top 25 team, especially with Whaley/Sanogo/Jackson/Martin/Polley as our options at the 4/5. But I don’t think that’s a knock really.

Then we know going into last season he was primed for a major role before the injury. By the time he was healthy we had established a rotation of 8-9 guys that was the best in the ENTIRE country. Nobody blames Dan for not trying to shoehorn Samson into that rotation, and even Samson must understand the decision to shelf him considering he stayed.

The wall potential stuff is obviously in the past, but I’m still of the belief he’s gonna make an impact in Storrs before he leaves. Won’t be surprised if he’s the next starting center after Clingan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom