Samson Johnson is practicing | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Samson Johnson is practicing

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
SJ playing with Sanogo and AK with DC ensures there's one rim protector on the court at all times.

It may not resolve issues on offense but could make a big difference covering up for the guards on defense.

And our offensive issues, be as they may, can be overcome and won with. We can be a great defensive team and good offensive team and win at a high level.

Reaction Score
I don't see any negativity, just cautiousness. Feel like people were burned by Akok's injuries and high expectations. I think it's a huge boost getting him back, but have no problem with people taking a wait and see approach
This. And with Akok we had seen him actually being a plus player in games before he was injured. We hadn’t seen that in Samson last season and all the positive talk about Samson this preseason was never validated in game action.

So Samson remains an enigma until he shows it in a game.

Reaction Score
Hey hope he improved I really do but I don’t get the talk of him being a savior that’s all. We’ve seen nothing to expect that albeit short stints.
FWIW I fully agree with this.

Reaction Score
He was forced to play against Villanova when Adama got into early foul trouble. He was not strong enough to play the 5 and got bullied.

But that doesn't mean he can't be our savior. Lots of players make a huge jump between their freshman and sophomore years. For example, Hawkins is much improved over last year. Not quite our savior, but a very large improvement.
If he plays like he did against Stonehill, he certainly will not be a savior, and will add to the foul total.

Reaction Score
Hard to speculate on Samson's potential impact with so little in-game evidence to support certain claims.. From what I can surmise.. He and AK bring different talents/play styles to the 4 spot.. Samson's style seems to be vertical in nature.. good foot speed for his size.. wing span to alter shots..boards/energy.. We know Alex's strengths.

I expect Samson to return in early season shape..Not mid-season form.. And rusty.. Can he spell AK/protect him from foul trouble/provide Danny with a change of pace at the 4 based on game conditions/match-ups? Probably.. Can he be an effective lob/alley oop target on offense? Probably..

If he can give us 5-10 minutes a game to provide AK with some rest in Jan/Feb.. Everyone benefits.

St Johns likes small ball w/Soriano.. May not be best game for match ups unless AK is a no-play game time decision.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He was forced to play against Villanova when Adama got into early foul trouble. He was not strong enough to play the 5 and got bullied.

But that doesn't mean he can't be our savior. Lots of players make a huge jump between their freshman and sophomore years. For example, Hawkins is much improved over last year. Not quite our savior, but a very large improvement.

Hawkins has improved but “much” I’m not so sure. He’s a more confident shooter from deep, coming off screens. But he shoots 38% from 3 and 38.5% overall so he still needs to become more of an impact off the dribble. His defense has been a little inconsistent as well although much better.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
NOW!!! Get them on the floor together!
Only if they form a new Megazord even greater than Clingdama.

VOBGSZT.png

Reaction Score
Danny would go down as a G-ddammn legend if he walked up to Samson in the locker room and pulled one of these. Adama Sanogo as Mike Eruzione, obviously...

Reaction Score
FWIW I fully agree with this.
Those who attended the pre season intersquad scrimmage can understand what a healthy and conditioned Johnson can do for the team. He is not a savior but he can remedy one of the weaknesses of the team. His presence will allow additional combinations on the floor. He has the ability to guard several positions, he is a 3 point threat. Almost everyone who saw him in scrimmages and secret games described him the same. He looked nothing like last year and he moved like a guard. That being said it will be hard to get back in condition, up to game speed and get on floor game experience coming back this late. But if he can do it he will make the team significantly better. Let's hope the recuperative ability of young people works its magic!

Reaction Score
Hawkins has improved but “much” I’m not so sure. He’s a more confident shooter from deep, coming off screens. But he shoots 38% from 3 and 38.5% overall so he still needs to become more of an impact off the dribble. His defense has been a little inconsistent as well although much better.

He's managed to shoot worse from 2 than from 3. It's weird. Oddly enough, he shot 37.9% from 2 exactly last year, and the same this year as of today.

Reaction Score
He's managed to shoot worse from 2 than from 3. It's weird. Oddly enough, he shot 37.9% from 2 exactly last year, and the same this year as of today.
He was shooting better from 2 this year, but then went 1/10 last 2 games from inside the arc.

Reaction Score
I believe the grammatical rule is that any number less than ten should always be written out other than that it’s the writer’s option. On the other hand grammatical rules are so yesterday.
I hear you.. 10-4 good buddy is a popular sign(al) for truckers driving the big rigs to communicate among themselves on their long rides.. Don't over think it.. It was a joke..

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If you are going to start a sentence with a number, it should always be spelled out.
I was surprised to learn that writers are advised against ever starting with a number , even when it is written out.

By not using a numeral, a sentence could open with, "Seventy-seven to 74 was the score when UConn defeated Duke for the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship in 1999."

caw

Reaction Score
I was surprised to learn that writers are advised against ever starting with a number , even when it is written out.

By not using a numeral, a sentence could open with, "Seventy-seven to 74 was the score when UConn defeated Duke for the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship in 1999."

So just so I understand the grammar, the following is correct?

"Two is greater than 1."

Reaction Score
SJ playing with Sanogo and AK with DC ensures there's one rim protector on the court at all times.

It may not resolve issues on offense but could make a big difference covering up for the guards on defense.
Yes, it won't solve offensive issues but there is a problem with our defense on the floor with the way Sanogo is playing defense with the lineup in there with him. He's constantly caught in no man's land with no rim protection. I seriously don't understand it. Maybe having a rim protector in there with him fixes it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I thought it was a shoulder issue.
Really, he couldn’t be expected to play 30 minutes a game with an unhealthy Johnson.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom