OT: - Sammy Sosa? | The Boneyard

OT: Sammy Sosa?

Poe

Reaction Score
sammy.jpg

WTF happened? Is this a steroid side effect?

Fans are losing it over Sammy Sosa's noticeably white skin

Reaction Score
People just need to leave other people alone when those other people aren't hurting anybody.
So Sammy wants his skin lighter? So what? Who cares? It's one man making one man's choice. It's not a sweeping generalization, it's not an affirmation, it's not an insult. It's one guy who wants lighter skin.
For anybody giving him crap, shame on you.
For anybody making it a race issue. Shame.
And for anybody mocking the guy, big shame on you. Live your life, let him live his.
And this thread should be deleted. It impliedly is holding this man out for ridicule/mocking.

Reaction Score
It's a massive identity crisis called skin bleaching that is currently a multi billion dollar industry and is very popular in the US , Caribbean , Africa and Asia.

A lot of people doing it I see. Would like to see them at 60-70 years old.

beyonce-skin-lightening.jpg

Reaction Score
It's a massive identity crisis . . .
B.S. That's just judgmental crap.
It's people making decisions about how they want to look. It's no different than tanning or hair styles or boob jobs or make-up or colored contacts or teeth whittening.
Are people really so insecure about their own identity/race that they have to attack others who want to look different from our natural state? Depressing.

Reaction Score
It's people making decisions about how they want to look. It's no different than tanning or hair styles or boob jobs or make-up or colored contacts or teeth whittening.
Are people really so insecure about their own identity/race that they have to attack others who want to look different from our natural state? Depressing.
What makes you happy?

Reaction Score
Sosa has been hitting the buffett line, that is for sure.

Reaction Score
A lot of people doing it I see. Would like to see them at 60-70 years old.

beyonce-skin-lightening.jpg
Black women have been doing it for a long time, trying to fit the "ideal" concept of beauty. It's disturbing but not as bad as Asian women getting surgery to make their eyes more round.

Reaction Score
Tall, slender women with long, straight, dark hair, fair complexion, and high cheekbones, and UConn basketball.
Well, the basketball up until about 1.5 years ago. ;)
Maybe you should get in to some more of that because honestly you present here as a pretty unhappy person

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score

Dude , he looks like Betty Boop on steroids .
Pleases stop. It's a major issue with serious
Health issues

Reaction Score
Dude , he looks like Betty Boop on steroids .
He looks the way . . . . . . . . he wants to look. That's all that matters. It doesn't matter at all that you don't like it.

It's a major issue
It's only "major" in the sense that the people who are choosing to do this are being ridiculed and mistreated.
with serious Health issues
Don't kid yourself. This isn't about health. This is about a bunch of people getting bent out of shape because they view this as people trying "to be more white." And they have a problem with that because there's an inherent implication that, if people want to "be more white" it's because "white is better."
That's the issue, concisely stated. You know it, I know it.
The health concern is a pretext that is being used to indirectly attack the underlying dislike of the decision being made.
Let people do what they want, as long as they aren't hurting others.
It's that simple.

Reaction Score
Steroid era > Any other era. Sammy is a baseball hero he can dye his skin blue and I'd still salute.

Reaction Score
Steroid era > Any other era. Sammy is a baseball hero he can dye his skin blue and I'd still salute.

The McGwire and Sosa home run chase was amazing even if it was uh, slightly doctored.

Reaction Score
People just need to leave other people alone when those other people aren't hurting anybody.
So Sammy wants his skin lighter? So what? Who cares? It's one man making one man's choice. It's not a sweeping generalization, it's not an affirmation, it's not an insult. It's one guy who wants lighter skin.
For anybody giving him crap, shame on you.
For anybody making it a race issue. Shame.
And for anybody mocking the guy, big shame on you. Live your life, let him live his.
And this thread should be deleted. It impliedly is holding this man out for ridicule/mocking.
I wish it were this simple. Should he be ridiculed? No. But this idea that the lighter your skin is the more attractive you are is absolutely based in race. In western civilization from the time of slavery being black or having darker skin has been demonized and looked down upon. Anyone who is bleaching there skin absolutely is suffering from an identity crisis. Why do they see their dark skin as ugly? That's the question you should be asking.

But I do agree that people should be left alone to do as they please. But let' not ignore what it really is

Reaction Score
Anyone who is bleaching there skin absolutely is suffering from an identity crisis. Why do they see their dark skin as ugly?
You do understand how sweeping your generalization is, right?
You have, essentially, said that . . .
If a person bleaches his/her skin,
then that person has an identity crisis.

Your proposition is, in my view, aggressively racist and demeaning. Your central thought is - "people who bleach their skin have a mental disorder." You're in the same company as the people who say that about gays.

Reaction Score
You do understand how sweeping your generalization is, right?
You have, essentially, said that . . .
If a person bleaches his/her skin,
then that person has an identity crisis.

Your proposition is, in my view, aggressively racist and demeaning. Your central thought is - "people who bleach their skin have a mental disorder." You're in the same company as the people who say that about gays.
Identity crisis=mental disorder? News to me. You show a complete lack of historical context when it comes to this issue, while also refusing to answer the question posted. Also look up the word "racist" because when you do you'll find what you said makes ZERO sense. Nothing I said insinuated that I thought my race was superior to anyone else's. Last but not least my central point is that if someone is bleaching their skin its because they do not like how dark it is. Which brings forth a deeper question. Why are all of these black people under the impression that the lighter you are the more attractive you are? I know this conversation may be to complex for you to understand but try and follow me. In the black community colorism(yes this is a thing) is very prevalent. Its even more prevelant in places like Cuba and Jamaica. Its not just that people like the way it looks. Its because they are taught from a young age the the lighter you are the more beautiful you are. This has been studied by professionals. Black or dark is not the standard of beauty in western civilization, white is. Example: coiled natural black hair is considered "nappy" You while straight natural white hair is considered "beautiful". That' just one example. Their are many more. But your idea that its just peoples preference is so idiotic and uniformed. So dont then attach some entirely separate idea to me because you don' have the knowledge or experience to back your claim

Learn Something

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't kid yourself. This isn't about health. This is about a bunch of people getting bent out of shape because they view this as people trying "to be more white." And they have a problem with that because there's an inherent implication that, if people want to "be more white" it's because "white is better."
That's the issue, concisely stated. You know it, I know it.
The health concern is a pretext that is being used to indirectly attack the underlying dislike of the decision being made.
Let people do what they want, as long as they aren't hurting others.
It's that simple.

Physical health, no. Mental health, yes.

It's likely a form of body dismorphic disorder, which includes both skin lightening and skin darkening from anxiety.

If he's happy with his changes and feels totally well, more power to him. More likely, he's treating his skin because his mental health is not well and he's not treating the root problem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom