Samir Doughty redux (VCU Transfer) | The Boneyard

Samir Doughty redux (VCU Transfer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pass we don't need him stuck for 3 years on our roster! He can't even play this year when we could use him.

Reaction Score
Pass we don't need him stuck for 3 years on our roster! He can't even play this year when we could use him.
This is insane. We could clearly use a big PG for 2018/19 and would be stupid not to grab a guy who's already played at the college level and proved he can be at least adequate.

"stuck for 3 years on our roster"... dude, we're having trouble keeping guys for 2 years on our roster.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
4496329.jpg

Reaction Score
This is insane. We could clearly use a big PG for 2018/19 and would be stupid not to grab a guy who's already played at the college level and proved he can be at least adequate.

"stuck for 3 years on our roster"... dude, we're having trouble keeping guys for 2 years on our roster.
He's a solid player but he could grad transfer after one year in the court. He redshirted two years ago.

Reaction Score
Let's do a little blind test.

Player A:

Stats on VCU as a Freshman, team went 26-10.

6.6ppg 3.0rpg 0.6apg 0.5steals 26.2% from 3 34.3% from the field.

Player B:

Stats on VCU as a freshman, team went 26-9.

9.0ppg 3.6rpg 2.1apg 0.9steals 28.4% from three 40.9% from the field.

A is Larrier B is Doughty. Just because he wasn't highly ranked as a high school player doesn't mean he can't be great in college. Best example of this is Shamet on Wichita who is going to become our worst nightmare for the next few years.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Admittedly I didn't do any googling, but I'm wondering what the issue is for a few posters ... We get some "no thanks" responses but no elaboration on why or what the opinion is?

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Let's do a little blind test.

Player A:

Stats on VCU as a Freshman, team went 26-10.

6.6ppg 3.0rpg 0.6apg 0.5steals 26.2% from 3 34.3% from the field.

Player B:

Stats on VCU as a freshman, team went 26-9.

9.0ppg 3.6rpg 2.1apg 0.9steals 28.4% from three 40.9% from the field.

A is Larrier B is Doughty. Just because he wasn't highly ranked as a high school player doesn't mean he can't be great in college. Best example of this is Shamet on Wichita who is going to become our worst nightmare for the next few years.

Was gunna say, that I didn't think larriers stats were much better at VCU... let's reel him in

Reaction Score
Yep, hard pass on Waters, Doughty and any other kid who isn't a top 10 recruit at a postion of great need. Things are running so incredibly smoothly and top recruits are lining up to play for us right now. This board really has the pulse of what's going on with UConn basketball at the moment.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Pass?! Like we are pulling in top notch recruits lol.

Reaction Score
This kid has great size, experience and a solid stat line for his first year playing college ball. I'd take him in a heartbeat and hope he makes it for a visit. What we lost in MAL was a good guard with size, this kid seems to be a good guard with size, and he's proven his worth at the college level last season. Not saying he's MAL, but he seems to be a fit in an area of need as a large guard

Reaction Score
Admittedly I didn't do any googling, but I'm wondering what the issue is for a few posters ... We get some "no thanks" responses but no elaboration on why or what the opinion is?

I assume it's because there has been a lot of optimism around the staff's apparently huge recruiting efforts for 2018, motivated by desperation and learning from past mistakes. We are after a number of high-rated PGs, and handcuffing ourselves to a sub-200 recruit who has to sit out a year would be an extremely conservative decision. Plus, did I hear the reason he was leaving was for something negative, academic trouble or something of the sort? Could be getting him confused so correct me if I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
VCU board seemed to be pretty high on him (before the transfer obviously, after that supposedly every player turns into Brian Scalabrine) but they say that he is a hard-nosed NYC style player with a motor and some grit. Seem to agree that he has the "it" that a lot of us see in CV. See no reason not to at least take a serious look, especially given his size, background and stats.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's a mix from his season that he posted. Looks to be extremely crafty and agile for his size. Also features some good looking handles. Liking what I see from this kid.

Instagram post by Samir Doughty • May 15, 2017 at 1:36am UTC

He's #35 here, featured alongside Derrick Jones (remember him?). But he shows off quite a bit of athleticism and some craftiness. Featured for the first 40 or so seconds.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I assume it's because there has been a lot of optimism around the staff's apparently huge recruiting efforts for 2018, motivated by desperation and learning from past mistakes. We are after a number of high-rated PGs, and handcuffing ourselves to a sub-200 recruit who has to sit out a year would be an extremely conservative decision. Plus, did I hear the reason he was leaving was for something negative, academic trouble or something of the sort? Could be getting him confused so correct me if I'm wrong.
From what I can gather from VCU board, they say that it isn't academic or legally related. Seems more like either something personal or a difference of opinion with the new coach from what they got.

Reaction Score
I assume it's because there has been a lot of optimism around the staff's apparently huge recruiting efforts for 2018, motivated by desperation and learning from past mistakes.
If we sign this kid now, it means we can be much less desperate in 2018 and 2019 recruiting.

Let's pretend we get both the Italian kid and the big Cornell postgrad as well as Doughty, and that both Jalen & Larrier leave after next year because they led us to our sixth final four. This is what our roster would look like heading into 2018/19:

PG: Alterique (RS-So), Doughty (RS-So)
SG: Vital (Jr), Moretti (So)
SF: Polley (So)
PF: Diarra (RS-So), Whaley (So)
C: Cobb (Sr), Carlton (So)

That would make the 2018 class "let's add to our already balanced core" instead of "oh god oh god we have holes everywhere and have to offer every kid under the sun!"

And I can't stress this enough: We know Doughty can play college ball. Fine, he's not gonna be the next Kemba – who gives a s&*#? We don't just need Kembas, we need guys who can soak up minutes in two or three different spots while not tripping over their d^#&s. This kid can do that.

The only way we should say "no thanks" is if he's the next Nate Miles. Barring that... get him on campus, let him learn for a year, and then get him on the court in 2018.

Reaction Score
If we sign this kid now, it means we can be much less desperate in 2018 and 2019 recruiting.

Let's pretend we get both the Italian kid and the big Cornell postgrad as well as Doughty, and that both Jalen & Larrier leave after next year because they led us to our sixth final four. This is what our roster would look like heading into 2018/19:

PG: Alterique (RS-So), Doughty (RS-So)
SG: Vital (Jr), Moretti (So)
SF: Polley (So)
PF: Diarra (RS-So), Whaley (So)
C: Cobb (Sr), Carlton (So)

That would make the 2018 class "let's add to our already balanced core" instead of "oh god oh god we have holes everywhere and have to offer every kid under the sun!"

And I can't stress this enough: We know Doughty can play college ball. Fine, he's not gonna be the next Kemba – who gives a s&*#? We don't just need Kembas, we need guys who can soak up minutes in two or three different spots while not tripping over their d^#&s. This kid can do that.

The only way we should say "no thanks" is if he's the next Nate Miles. Barring that... get him on campus, let him learn for a year, and then get him on the court in 2018.
You'd need a pretty long d*** to be able to trip over it... appears most of our team must have played their AAU ball for Team BBC

Reaction Score
To re-iterate what I said yesterday in another thread, I'm of the opinion that this program needs to move away from transfers as a general rule. This kid looks like a perfectly good player, but this is still UConn and there is no sense in applying a depressed standard to our future classes when the Chillious hire indicates the opposite. There are a million kids like him, and while they are necessary, you'd prefer that they be developed through the system from day one. If we can find a major talent on the transfer market like Larrier, great. Otherwise, we need to be building through the high school ranks. There are simply too many fundamental advantages to doing it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom